More 1st down stupidity. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More 1st down stupidity.

Miami is not a passing team.. Norv Turner and Wannstedt finally realized it this game unlike most Miami fans who want Griese to go back to pass 40 times with this O-line..

Originally posted by BigFinFan
Here is the breakdown in order:

1-10-MIA20 R.Williams up the middle to MIA 25 for 5 yards
1-10-MIA41 B.Griese pass incomplete to R.McMichael
1-10-MIA25 R.Williams right guard to MIA 29 for 4 yards
1-10-MIA37 R.Williams right tackle to MIA 40 for 3 yards
1-10-50 R.Williams up the middle to BLT 49 for 1 yard
1-10-BAL39 T.Minor right guard to BLT 41 for -2 yards
1-10-BAL23 R.Williams up the middle to BLT 22 for 1 yard
1-10-BAL12 B.Griese pass to J.McKnight to BLT 6 for 6 yards
1-10-MIA20 R.Williams left guard to MIA 22 for 2 yards
1-10-MIA39 R.Williams right tackle to MIA 41 for 2 yards
1-10-50 R.Williams up the middle to BLT 49 for 1 yard
1-10-MIA2 T.Minor right guard to MIA 2 for no gain
1-10-MIA20 R.Williams left end ran ob at MIA 31 for 11 yards
1-10-MIA31 B.Griese pass incomplete to C.Chambers.
1-10-50 R.Williams right end to BLT 39 for 11 yards
1-10-BAL39 B.Griese pass incomplete to D.Thompson.
1-10-MIA47 R.Williams up the middle to MIA 46 for -1 yards
1-10-MIA19 R.Williams up the middle to MIA 18 for -1 yards
1-10-MIA31 B.Griese pass to R.Williams ran ob at MIA 38 for 7 yards
1-10-BAL47 B.Griese pass to R.Williams to BLT 38 for 9 yards
1-10-BAL34 T.Minor right guard to BLT 32 for 2 yards
1-10-BAL43 R.Williams up the middle to BLT 44 for -1 yards
1-10-MIA20 B.Griese pass to R.Konrad ran ob at MIA 29 for 9 yards.
1-10-MIA33 B.Griese pass incomplete to D.Thompson.
1-10-MIA47 R.Williams right guard to 50 for 3 yards
1-10-BAL43 R.Williams left tackle to BLT 43 for no gain
1-10-BAL33 R.Williams right guard to BLT 30 for 3 yards
1-10-MIA20 R.Williams up the middle to MIA 23 for 3 yards
1-10-MIA20 R.Williams right tackle to MIA 36 for 16 yards
1-10-MIA36 R.Williams right tackle to MIA 37 for 1 yard
1-10-BAL46 B.Griese pass incomplete to C.Chambers.
1-10-BAL33 R.Williams left guard to BLT 32 for 1 yard

32 Plays on first down:

20 RW (65 Yards Rushing)
9 BG (31 Yards passing - 16 to RW)
3 TM (0 yards)

Where did you find this at??? I find 32 first downs hard to believe particulary when teams run around 60-65 total plays per game.

Originally posted by Ross
1st downs after scores, TO, begining of halfs are not counted in the stat book for 1st downs. First down stats are first downs 'earned' either by passing, running, or through a penality...

They're not? or better yet, why not? A first down play is a first down play regardless. or a first down is a first down regardless.

Call me crazy but the play(s) I would like to see more on first down are the play action roll out... and the flee flicker. It seems everytime the defense sees ricky get the ball the secondary (Safetys and CB's) leave their man/assignment. Why not try a flee flicker. We haven't done one all year!?

Originally posted by Oboy
Call me crazy but the play(s) I would like to see more on first down are the play action roll out... and the flee flicker. It seems everytime the defense sees ricky get the ball the secondary (Safetys and CB's) leave their man/assignment. Why not try a flee flicker. We haven't done one all year!?

Yeah, why not? Anything to cause any disruption on their part has to be good.

Do we even run PA anymore?

I don't remember seeing it last game.

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS
Miami is not a passing team.. Norv Turner and Wannstedt finally realized it this game unlike most Miami fans who want Griese to go back to pass 40 times with this O-line..

First...

Norv and Wanny never wanted this to be a passing team. As you already know they run to set up the pass. If the run is successful (final drive on Buffalo) Norv will not leave it. It's fundamental football. Why throw it when you can run it? Chances of turnover increases exponentially. But you already know that....

As for the fans that want Griese to go back 40 times......

I made a comment similar to that last week so I'll take that one on the chin but I want to put out a "stone cold lead pipe lock" right now as it pertains to that comment.

If the passing game does not develope with something other than the play action pass, I guarantee this team will go down in a ball of flames in December.

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX
Do we even run PA anymore?

I don't remember seeing it last game.

They ran it a couple of times. But it's difficult to sell the run to pass when all the defense is playing is run.

chambers was one on one all day because it was chris mcallister and ed reed was attempting to get in the backfield on over fifty percent of the plays.

Norv Turner had Griese set up for success against the 2nd bets defense in the NFL.. Norv Turner had Ricky run on 1st down many times and had some deep pass plays set up with Ricky's success.. griese, like, Fiedler, could not connect on the deep passes to Chambers who had a fantastic day having the Ravens secondary running with their heads cut off..

Miami still lacks a QB who can connect deep.. That is the downfall

your wrong and the coaches are right. we lack WR's who get to where the ball is suppose to be. sometimes its the QB, but most its the reciever. i noticed it bigtime these past few weeks. but getting back to norv turner, the bottom line on rickys yards is that they went back to him too much after a good run. they go to the well too damn much with ricky. that crap wont work against good offenses. we need to get konrad and ricky invovled in teh short game across the middle where the MLB leaves the area.

Originally posted by Oboy

what happend to the end around that norv loves so much?

Norv Turner had Griese set up for success against the 2nd bets defense in the NFL.. Norv Turner had Ricky run on 1st down many times and had some deep pass plays set up with Ricky's success.. griese, like, Fiedler, could not connect on the deep passes to Chambers who had a fantastic day having the Ravens secondary running with their heads cut off..

Miami still lacks a QB who can connect deep.. That is the downfall

BINGO! Receivers dropping balls don't help either (a la McMichael).

Originally posted by finfan54

what happend to the end around that norv loves so much?

With linebackers holding for the run and a safety blitz coming every other play that will get "snuffed" out before it ever developes.

Originally posted by ZOD

They ran it a couple of times. But it's difficult to sell the run to pass when all the defense is playing is run.

chambers was one on one all day because it was chris mcallister and ed reed was attempting to get in the backfield on over fifty percent of the plays.

That's when PA is suppoesed to work, when the D is playing run.

I see some 1st Down Postives in the Screen passes to Ricky and screen passes to Konrad. Looked like they each went for 7-9 yards on first down...not bad....

Originally posted by DeDolfan

That's when PA is suppoesed to work

Yes, I know.

Has it?

I'm tired but if you want to list all the reasons why it doesn't work for us you can.

Back
Top Bottom