Mort On AFC East / Issues ? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mort On AFC East / Issues ?

JPhinfan86

Chief of the Finheaven Iowa Chapter.
Reaction score
Issues?

Taken from Morts (Chris Mortensen) Mailbag on ESPN.com:

Q: AFC East teams will probably beat each other up this year and prevent any one team from going deep in the playoffs. Do you think the Miami Dolphins can overcome late-season letdowns or will the Buffalo Bills have what it takes to win the division? Also, the QB situation with the New York Jets hurts them, and I think the New England Patriots have serious line problems. -- Las Vegas, Nevada

MORT -- I don't think this is about Miami's late-season letdowns. They're either going to be good enough or they're not. The division is tough, but what's new about that? I believe the Bills are for real and capable of winning the division. I disagree with you on New England -- the Patriots may be the team to beat. I think the Dolphins should be right in the mix, but it's out of line to label Miami as a lock favorite in the AFC East. They have some great players, some good ones, and some issues ... like most of the good teams in this league.

What does he mean by Issues? It can't be the whole slump thing...he says that at the beginning. We don't have an out-of-line player or anything...Unless he means issues at certain positions. :D

we hav some issues.

1) Will Greenwood step up?
2) Is Seau over the hill? Sure he looked good in preseason, but so did Ray Lucas last year.
3) Is Mare settled down after his relatively poor season? (well, poor by Mare's standards)
4) Will Dixon be able to stay healthy, and when... I mean if he goes down, will Smith be able to step in and be a quality LT?
5) Will Knights lack of speed hurt him in the dolphins Cover 2 scheeme?
6) Was Thompson a flash in the pan, or is this kid for real?
7) Will Chambers finally live up to his potential?
8) Will Feidler finally be able to hit beyond 20 yards with some measure of reliability?
9) Will Ricky make it 3 years in a row with 16 games under his belt?
10) Is Wanny the kind of coach that can win it all as the head cheese?

I'm optomistic that most (if not all) of theese questions will have good answers for us, and still think this team is primed for a title run this year, but there are several legitimate questions and potential issues that might, might bite us in da butt.

So before the flames begin, jsut relise that this was kinda from a devils advocate, and I'm not being negative... but they are legit questions that our boys need to, and will answer this year.

Good points Barbarian.

I read into it as the Psyche of the team come December and the coaches. We'll see.

Mort On AFC East

Thought this was an interesting an perceptive comment. It will be an interesting season. :

MORT -- I don't think this is about Miami's late-season letdowns (that they have a problem with them). They're either going to be good enough or they're not. The division is tough, but what's new about that? I believe the Bills are for real and capable of winning the division. I disagree with you on New England -- the Patriots may be the team to beat. I think the Dolphins should be right in the mix, but it's out of line to label Miami as a lock favorite in the AFC East. They have some great players, some good ones, and some issues ... like most of the good teams in this league.

Re: Mort On AFC East

Originally posted by Da 'Fins
Thought this was an interesting an perceptive comment. It will be an interesting season. :

MORT -- I don't think this is about Miami's late-season letdowns (that they have a problem with them). They're either going to be good enough or they're not. The division is tough, but what's new about that? I believe the Bills are for real and capable of winning the division. I disagree with you on New England -- the Patriots may be the team to beat. I think the Dolphins should be right in the mix, but it's out of line to label Miami as a lock favorite in the AFC East. They have some great players, some good ones, and some issues ... like most of the good teams in this league.

true, and I definately agree with him on his view of New England

Why is everyone so high on NE? Because they were 4-0 in the preseason? The last time they did that they went 2-14. I agree that they have a tough defense but their o-line is horrible and they have very few playmakers on offense. I just don't understand the hype they have been getting lately. They better keep big Ted Washington healthy because they haven't been able to stop the run without him...

Originally posted by kasaba13
Why is everyone so high on NE? Because they were 4-0 in the preseason? The last time they did that they went 2-14. I agree that they have a tough defense but their o-line is horrible and they have very few playmakers on offense. I just don't understand the hype they have been getting lately. They better keep big Ted Washington healthy because they haven't been able to stop the run without him...

I could give a **** about their preseason record...Belichick has been getting it done with less than great personnel on d....He is one of the best defensive minds, maybe the best in the game today, and he now has great players to work with...they're going to be scary good on D

NE has a great coaching staff especially on D. They can pass the ball which means they can always come back as they proved ag us. The AFC East is totally unpredictable right now. Hopefully, we can crush 1 of the other 3's hope in 2 weeks by blowing them out on their new turf :D

NE is like an annoying fly.

You can beat up on them but they somehow manage to get turnovers in the right places or somehow throw a TD to their QB :fire:.

I am not discounting Belicheck as a defensive mind, but he doesn't exactly have a great record as a head coach. Yes, they had one ludicrous SuperBowl season which was luck like I have never seen in any sport in my life. What has he done as a coach outside of that? In eight or so years as a coach he has 2 playoff performances. I think two many people are jumping on the "Belicheck is a genius" bandwagon. Remember, he is responsible for the entire team and their offense is average, at best, and their drafts have been pretty bad. Look at their roster, they have a pretty old team. I am not saying that they won't be tough, but I certainly don't see them as the team to beat. Maybe it is because I live amongst idiotic Patriots fans. I guess we will see soon...

Every teams have issues, some have more than less.

Fortunately for us we have less than more, but so does any other team in the AFC east. Tough, very tough division.
:(

Back
Top Bottom