Mort On AFC East / Issues ? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mort On AFC East / Issues ?

Originally posted by Barbarian
we hav some issues.

1) Will Greenwood step up?
2) Is Seau over the hill? Sure he looked good in preseason, but so did Ray Lucas last year.
3) Is Mare settled down after his relatively poor season? (well, poor by Mare's standards)
4) Will Dixon be able to stay healthy, and when... I mean if he goes down, will Smith be able to step in and be a quality LT?
5) Will Knights lack of speed hurt him in the dolphins Cover 2 scheeme?
6) Was Thompson a flash in the pan, or is this kid for real?
7) Will Chambers finally live up to his potential?
8) Will Feidler finally be able to hit beyond 20 yards with some measure of reliability?
9) Will Ricky make it 3 years in a row with 16 games under his belt?
10) Is Wanny the kind of coach that can win it all as the head cheese?

I'm optomistic that most (if not all) of theese questions will have good answers for us, and still think this team is primed for a title run this year, but there are several legitimate questions and potential issues that might, might bite us in da butt.

So before the flames begin, jsut relise that this was kinda from a devils advocate, and I'm not being negative... but they are legit questions that our boys need to, and will answer this year.

well here ismy take on those issues you presented.
1st- it doesnt matter if greenwood steps it up or not cus seau is going to be the force in the change of this defense which will attack instead of sitting back. all that greenwood has to do is play well enough to plug holes on the run. he probably wont be in for third downs at all. Seau losing a step to me is rediculous for an multi probowler who knows very much how to play the game. how can one be too old when he is still in great shape and works out like jerry rice? Mare should have a better year than last year cus his toe was bothering him and it is evident that he is booting them into the endzone and getting distance just fine on long FG. accuracy is all it comes down to. Wade smith and dixon is a legitimate question and will be all season long week to week. this is our weakness if you ask me. not that wade cant play a good level, but that he will not be great. As far as Knight, he will be better than freeman by far and he will make at least five plays this year which will be five plays that freeman never made. thompson is for real and catches tough balls. chambers i think is just going to reacclimate himself to a good year as it goes on (barring injury of course). JF should hit on some long ones with more regualrity this year but i would expect 1 good one for every two games on average. i think mckinight will fill alot of that role too. I dont think ricky's durability is in question, does anyone else think so? wanny can win it all if he keeps on talking like he has been talking these past few weeks. my only problem with wanny is that when it is needed most at the end of a season or game, he just does not seem to light into players. it all starts on the coach when players let that mindset get into there heads.

The issues that Barbarian laid out are kinda smallish I would think...

fairbanks and emskirch hit the nail on the head...

The Offensive Line: Nails and Smith/Dixon
The Deep Passing Game: Can Fiedler-Chambers back people off Ricky? They were not successful in 2002.
The Road Defense: Defense was completely different on the road than at home...the December collapse issues are small potatoes compared to this one.

Originally posted by Barbarian
we hav some issues.

1) Will Greenwood step up?
2) Is Seau over the hill? Sure he looked good in preseason, but so did Ray Lucas last year.
3) Is Mare settled down after his relatively poor season? (well, poor by Mare's standards)
4) Will Dixon be able to stay healthy, and when... I mean if he goes down, will Smith be able to step in and be a quality LT?
5) Will Knights lack of speed hurt him in the dolphins Cover 2 scheeme?
6) Was Thompson a flash in the pan, or is this kid for real?
7) Will Chambers finally live up to his potential?
8) Will Feidler finally be able to hit beyond 20 yards with some measure of reliability?
9) Will Ricky make it 3 years in a row with 16 games under his belt?
10) Is Wanny the kind of coach that can win it all as the head cheese?

Damn. Now I'm depressed. :cry:

But we all have our questions. Every team does. Mort doesn't really say anything with that comment. When a team fights through it and answers, that's when you win. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ck you're right on the Money, our over rated D has to step up, and I will stay on they butts until they prove me wrong, I don't care if they end up statically #1 by season's end, if they don't dominate on the road, then all they are are stats. They costs us big time last year in Buf., Minn. and N.E., that folks, wasn't Lucas. Jay did his part, and now the D has to do theirs. Hell, I bet if we had the 2000 Balt. D or even the Jets D. last year we would have been in the playoffs in those final 2 games.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
The issues that Barbarian laid out are kinda smallish I would think...

they were just some examples off the top of my head... geeze. :rolleyes:

Great post Barbarian, I hae to agree we do have alot of issues still left on the table. But thats the best thing about the NFL there is no perfect team left, it comes down to the team with the most heart and less injuries. Which we know the teams stance on both those points in the last couple of years

Originally posted by kasaba13
I am not discounting Belicheck as a defensive mind, but he doesn't exactly have a great record as a head coach. Yes, they had one ludicrous SuperBowl season which was luck like I have never seen in any sport in my life. What has he done as a coach outside of that? In eight or so years as a coach he has 2 playoff performances. I think two many people are jumping on the "Belicheck is a genius" bandwagon. Remember, he is responsible for the entire team and their offense is average, at best, and their drafts have been pretty bad. Look at their roster, they have a pretty old team. I am not saying that they won't be tough, but I certainly don't see them as the team to beat. Maybe it is because I live amongst idiotic Patriots fans. I guess we will see soon...

My thoughts EXACTLY!

Issues: Sports Illustrated 2004 Super Bowl Champions Commerative Book. Sign me up for 2 issues. :D :D :D

i see some holes in NE like OL and RB. I am not worried about ted washington in the least. for one, he is a fat cat and always will be but now more than ever. Noone has seen this guy yet and they are commenting like he is second coming of christ. Plus he just joined them and the move tells me they weere desperate for someone who could play the position. As for the Bills, they will be an average defense overall where they have good games and mess up others. i see spikes, clements, P williams, Schoebel, and Fletcher as the studs and Sam adams, antwan winfield, Posey, and a myriad of DE's as the duds. oh, and the safeties dont impress me other than coy wire can hit. the jets, well, i think the jets will get a real taste of who they really are this year minus pennighton, but i think even with pennington, he would have found out that second years are much tougher than the first great year.

If you look at our season last year, we were way out not to make it. But why did we get ridiculed and not New england? they were the champs! just goes to show that the media is full of crap!

Back
Top Bottom