MY 2003 Power Rankings | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MY 2003 Power Rankings

Originally posted by JeTz247

5. Jets
The loss of coles and thomas will hurt, but the Jets have replaced those positions with Conway and Nutten. The Jets will be going into the 2003 season with an improved Defense and the most impressive Dline. and theres always Chad Pennington.

15. Bills
Now heres a smart team, they needed defense and they got defense. They got some great young corners and spikes thrown in there with fletcher is very dangerous. The loss of price will hurt though.

Its funny how losing Price will hurt more than losing Coles. Just because the jets signed conway, it doesn't replace coles. I think Reed is way underestimated. He's also not 32. Conway averaged about 60 rec, 700 yards and 5 td a year for the past 6 year, and while that is decent, it doesn't replace coles. Reed IMO is much better than Conway, but I can only prove that at the end of the season. Reed won't replace Price...because he's not Price. and FYI Reed was picked 36th overall last year, and lead the NCAA in receptions, yards, yacs and tds.

Also, I don't think you can determine the ability of the line just yet. Every draft pick is a risk, and history has told us that 50 percent of first rounders turn out to be busts. Robertson is one of those players that ran up the board in the offseason through workouts. I personally don't care of the pick, because I thik the Jets could have done much more damange with their 12th and 22nd pick. Just another reminder that Courtney Brown was picked #1 by the browns and didn't do anything. Also Simms was picked 6th last year, held out, got injured...and then came back and sucked. The history of DT in top 5 don't bode well for the Jets. Robertson will probably turn out to be a badass player, but no means can you classify the line as most impressive. I thought maybe after Bryan Thomas the jets would have learned that. The Potential is there for a great line, but if everyting was based on potential....Rob Johnson would have been the best QB in Bills history.

Also, I don't understand the drop off from 5th to 15th between the two teams. The jets beat us twice last year, but then again, we beat the dolphins, and if the phin fans want to blame lucas, we can easily blame Eddie Robinson and the special teams for out loss. The fact is that we finished only 1 game behind every team in the division, and with the additons we have made with Spikes, Posey, Adams, McKenzie, Jones and Reese, our defense has as much potential to be a great D as the Jets D line has potential to be a great line. And our offense is better. Henry is a monster who has a great supporting cast with Olandis Gary. Bledsoe and Moulds will hook up, and Reed will come out and show people why he led the NCAA in all those stat categories...and he did that at LSU, which is a big division school. I just don't see the 10 spot justification, especially after losing Coles, Morton, Hall and Thomas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Re: MY 2003 Power Rankings

Originally posted by BillsCAfan

Its funny how losing Price will hurt more than losing Coles. Just because the jets signed conway, it doesn't replace coles. I think Reed is way underestimated. He's also not 32. Conway averaged about 60 rec, 700 yards and 5 td a year for the past 6 year, and while that is decent, it doesn't replace coles. Reed IMO is much better than Conway, but I can only prove that at the end of the season. Reed won't replace Price...because he's not Price. and FYI Reed was picked 36th overall last year, and lead the NCAA in receptions, yards, yacs and tds.

Also, I don't think you can determine the ability of the line just yet. Every draft pick is a risk, and history has told us that 50 percent of first rounders turn out to be busts. Robertson is one of those players that ran up the board in the offseason through workouts. I personally don't care of the pick, because I thik the Jets could have done much more damange with their 12th and 22nd pick. Just another reminder that Courtney Brown was picked #1 by the browns and didn't do anything. Also Simms was picked 6th last year, held out, got injured...and then came back and sucked. The history of DT in top 5 don't bode well for the Jets. Robertson will probably turn out to be a badass player, but no means can you classify the line as most impressive. I thought maybe after Bryan Thomas the jets would have learned that. The Potential is there for a great line, but if everyting was based on potential....Rob Johnson would have been the best QB in Bills history.

Also, I don't understand the drop off from 5th to 15th between the two teams. The jets beat us twice last year, but then again, we beat the dolphins, and if the phin fans want to blame lucas, we can easily blame Eddie Robinson and the special teams for out loss. The fact is that we finished only 1 game behind every team in the division, and with the additons we have made with Spikes, Posey, Adams, McKenzie, Jones and Reese, our defense has as much potential to be a great D as the Jets D line has potential to be a great line. And our offense is better. Henry is a monster who has a great supporting cast with Olandis Gary. Bledsoe and Moulds will hook up, and Reed will come out and show people why he led the NCAA in all those stat categories...and he did that at LSU, which is a big division school. I just don't see the 10 spot justification, especially after losing Coles, Morton, Hall and Thomas.

What he said :D

Jets are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy to high......Jets should be 14th at best.

Re: Re: MY 2003 Power Rankings

Originally posted by BillsCAfan

Reed will come out and show people why he led the NCAA in all those stat categories...and he did that at LSU, which is a big division school.

Sorry, but the SEC two years ago (Reeds Senior year) was a pass happy conference. He was the only reciever on an LSU team which had to throw. Nobody in the SEC had an adequate Secondary besides Florida (in which Reed did nothing when they played UF) and Tennesee (which wasn't even that good) but almost every team in the SEC was a good run D. Reed was great but he did not lead all those categories just because of his talents. In fact he wasn't even the first WR taken during that draft, Ashlie Lehlie was taken 17 spots earlier as would have Kelley Washington had he come out for the 2002 draft instead of last years draft. I think Swallworth was taken earlier also but I could be mistaken. He's good, just don't make him out to be a threat just yet or better than Conway because right now he is unproven while Conway has proven that he can be a WR in the NFL.

Secondly, Coles had a breakout year last year, his best by far as a pro, yet Conway had very similar stats. He could very well replace Coles, although I don't think he will be as good. The stats though DO NOT indicate that Coles was better than Conway.

"The Jets will be going into the 2003 season with an improved Defense and the most impressive Dline."

"the most impressive Dline"???????

You don't have one guy that could start over his counterpart here in Miami unless robertson does turn out to be the second comming of Warren Sapp.

I like where you have us slotted at #4, but I don't think the Raiders will be there this year. I think the Bills should be higher, and Tenn. But I also think that more NFC teams should be moved up (SF, GB, Giants, Stl).

I think this is the most balanced and well rounded football team since the 1970's. The offense will put points on the board, run well, and pass much better than last year; and the defense will be the best in a long, long time. Assuming we are lucky enough to stay healthy. "The race is not to the swift, but time and chance happens to them all."

Re: Re: Re: MY 2003 Power Rankings

Originally posted by Rrodr038

Sorry, but the SEC two years ago (Reeds Senior year) was a pass happy conference. He was the only reciever on an LSU team which had to throw. Nobody in the SEC had an adequate Secondary besides Florida (in which Reed did nothing when they played UF) and Tennesee (which wasn't even that good) but almost every team in the SEC was a good run D. Reed was great but he did not lead all those categories just because of his talents. In fact he wasn't even the first WR taken during that draft, Ashlie Lehlie was taken 17 spots earlier as would have Kelley Washington had he come out for the 2002 draft instead of last years draft. I think Swallworth was taken earlier also but I could be mistaken. He's good, just don't make him out to be a threat just yet or better than Conway because right now he is unproven while Conway has proven that he can be a WR in the NFL.

Secondly, Coles had a breakout year last year, his best by far as a pro, yet Conway had very similar stats. He could very well replace Coles, although I don't think he will be as good. The stats though DO NOT indicate that Coles was better than Conway.

LSU had a very good starting running back in LaBrandon Toefield that year who had a pretty good season, so LSU did have other options besides passing, even though SEC teams did have good run defenses.

They were overwhelmingly a passing offense. I think they called something like 2.6 passing plays for every run they called. Toefield was good, but passing was their bread and butter.

During 2001 though, a lot of Toefields rushing yards came against either non- SEC teams (like Utah State) or the worst run D's in the conference that year besides Vanderbilt, Auburn and Alabama. A lot of his yards also came during the second half of wins when LSU was playing keep away.

Reed and maybe Rohan Davey (the QB) were the only real threats that year.

Who cares what Reed did in College. Van Pelt broke Marino's college records.He still had 500 yards recieving as a rookie considering the company he was in, Moulds and Price. I don't even recall him dropping the ball even when he got hit. Most of his passes were caught in the middle of traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Eagles should be ahead of the Raiders
I just cannot see them have a gr8 year again.

just my opinion

i'd probably put the panthers somewhere in the middle of the pack...john fox has already turned the D around and they've made some solid offseason moves

So wait...the Loss of the #2 reciever hurts the Bills...but the loss of the Jets #1 puts them at 5?

Originally posted by dolphan
So wait...the Loss of the #2 reciever hurts the Bills...but the loss of the Jets #1 puts them at 5?

Hey! It's New York logic, don't question it... just make fun of it like the rest of us. :D

Back
Top Bottom