My Mock Draft 2.0 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Mock Draft 2.0

Silverphin

Chairman of the 'Owned! Awards' Commitee
Reaction score
Here's my second Mock Draft. Some of the rounds maybe a repeat from my first one (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=127748&highlight=My+First+Mock+Draft). But due to some recent developments, some rounds has changed.

Assumptions: Drew Brees is landed, as well as Julian Peterson. Ricky Williams wins his appeal. We bring in a solid veteran LT for cheap. Nick Saban decides that Rex Hadnot should stay at center, because Hadnot is that good. Lance Schulters doesn't re-sign.

Round 1-

Manny Lawson 4-3 DE/3-4 LB North Carolina State - The bad news is, we don't even have a snowball's chance in hell to land Lienart, Young or Cutler without trading a good amount of picks. The good news? We can draft a Defensive End/Linebacker that has the measurables similar our own hybrid player, Jason Taylor. Would he need some work? Of course. But with Kevin Carter and Jason Taylor showing him the ropes, there's almost no doubt he'll suceed. With Matt Roth looking like he'll be less of the Jason Taylor type DE and more of a Kevin Carter type DE, Manny Lawson will have us set for DE for years.

Round 2 -

Jason Allen CB/S Tennessee - Antonio Cromartie will probably be gone when we pick. So we pick Jason. Problem is, the only thing sure about Jason Allen's position is that he's a DB. While he has long arms, fluid hip motion and great size, he has some tackling problems and need to learn to get more physical.

Round 3 (STEAL!) -

Taitusi Lutui OG University of Southern California - Nick Saban, last year, made a steal in the third and fourth round. The prospects he selected in those rounds, Channing Crowder (ILB/WLB) and Travis Daniels (CB) became starters. How they slipped (especially Crowder) is beyond me.

Taitusi Lutui, who is said to be reminiscent of Toniu Fonoti, is more or less likely to slip in the third. According to NFL Draft Countdown, one his weaknesses is his technique. Well, Hudson Houck is going to have to handle that now won't he?

Round 4 -

Le Kevin Smith DT Nebraska - 316 pounds with room to get bigger. 6'2.875". A three year starter. A two-gapper. This is a quality 4th round pick.

Round 7a -

Thomas Parker WR Florida Atlantic University - Weird pick? Maybe. But the last two years, he has really stepped his game up for the Owls (29 catches for 584 yards and 20.1 yards per reception this year). And we do need some receivers. While our top three receivers (Chambers, Booker, and Welker) have been proven keepers, there is a huge drop off after that. Thomas Parker also provides height (6'2).

Round 7b-

Willie Hughley CB Florida Atlantic University - In his junior year as a starter, he had six interceptions, and eleven passes blocked. And that was before FAU was a Division 1-A School. In his senior year, it became apparent that coaches watched film on him, because QB's rarely threw to his side. While only 5'11, he has shown tremendous leaping ability and at least the speed of Patrick Surtain (He wasn't invited to the combine).

Round 7c-

Best player available.

If we do land Julian Peterson, I suspect we go after Winston Justice or Marcus McNeill in round 1

So.... IF we land Peterson, he plays OLB. Then if we take Lawson in the 1st round, I assume you have him in the spot David Bowens is playing now? JT is showing NO signs of slowing down and Lawson is too small to play DE in a 3-4. Therefore do you have Lawson ride the bench until JT retires?

Im all about getting Lawson..... however if we have Lawson and Peterson it doesnt make a ton of sense to me. Whoever we take in the 1st round, I want to play immediately. I dont want them riding the bench for maybe even 3 years.......

I like the other picks though...... good job.

If you have Hadnot at C, whats the rest of our Oline look like? I assume Jeno at LG, but who plays LT, RT? Im assuming Latui would start at RG and you keep Carey at RT? Depending if we think Carey can stay ar RT, I agree with the OG pick in the 3rd. However if Houck feels Carey would be better at RG, then I would have us pick up Whitworth in the 3rd.

Well I hope Ricky does win the appeal, I think thats the thing I want most of all this season.
Anyway nice mock. Jason Allen would be an awesome pick in the 2nd but don't think he'll make it to our pick and his stock is rising since the combine.
Lutui would really be awesome in the 3rd but don't think he'll make it past the end of the 2nd or beginning of the 3rd. Plus he has the ability to play either OG or OT, which makes him even more desirable. But he's awesome at guard.

Philter25 said:
So.... IF we land Peterson, he plays OLB. Then if we take Lawson in the 1st round, I assume you have him in the spot David Bowens is playing now? JT is showing NO signs of slowing down and Lawson is too small to play DE in a 3-4. Therefore do you have Lawson ride the bench until JT retires?

Im all about getting Lawson..... however if we have Lawson and Peterson it doesnt make a ton of sense to me. Whoever we take in the 1st round, I want to play immediately. I dont want them riding the bench for maybe even 3 years.......

If you have Hadnot at C, whats the rest of our Oline look like? I assume Jeno at LG, but who plays LT, RT? Im assuming Latui would start at RG and you keep Carey at RT? Depending if we think Carey can stay ar RT, I agree with the OG pick in the 3rd. However if Houck feels Carey would be better at RG, then I would have us pick up Whitworth in the 3rd.

Yeah, I was sort of expecting Lawson to be ride the bench until Jason Taylor retires. But also to bring youth into the DE rotation.

As for the O-line?

LT - Cheap solid veteran until Anthony Alabi is ready.
LG - Jeno James
C - Rex Hadnot
RG - Taitusi Latui
RT- Vernon Carey.

Philter25 said:

If we keep Hadnot at C:

LT - Free agent - Winston Justice - Jonathan Scott - Daryn Colledge.
LG - Taitusi Lutui - Charles Spencer - Rob Sims.
C - Rex Hadnot.
RG - Jeno James - Anthony Alabi.
RT - Vernon Carey.

Hey silver, great mock. I love the picks. Im not so sure Taitusi Lutui will be there when we pick in the third, so your right, it would be a big steal. I would love it. Im not sure about drafting any DTs, remember we tech drafted Manny with our 5th round pick this year, so I dont see us doing that. That and it we do bring in Adams, I know he is older, but I dont see it. Who knows. I would like to see a QB in the draft also, maybe Meyer in the 7th from EWU. Good mock, Lawson would make me very happy

Silverphin said:
Yeah, I was sort of expecting Lawson to be ride the bench until Jason Taylor retires. But also to bring youth into the DE rotation.

As for the O-line?

LT - Cheap solid veteran until Anthony Alabi is ready.
LG - Jeno James
C - Rex Hadnot
RG - Taitusi Latui
RT- Vernon Carey.

Manny Lawson would be WAY too small to move into the DE rotation..... heck I even think Matt Roth at his current size is too small to fit into the DE rotation. Lawson would play in the OLB/OE position, hence why I said it would be pointless to get Lawson AND Peterson. Since we just signed Hodge, I would draft Lawson and let him share time at OLB and OE and forget about Peterson......

The O-line looks good. If we sign Ashworth, I figure he would at least get a shot to compete at LT however I think he might be more of a RT player. He might even play RT with Carey at RG so that would be one less Olineman we would need to find in the draft.

I think it would look something like this if we got Lawson and Peterson...
4-3
De Jason Taylor
Dt Traylor/Adams
Dt Holliday/Wright
De Carter/Lawson

Olb-Peterson
Mlb-Thomas
Olb-Crowder

3-4
De-Carter
Dt-Traylor/Adams
De-Holliday/Roth

Olb-Lawson
Mlb-Crowder
Mlb-Thomas
Olb-Peterson

Now tell me that wouldnt be one of the best front 7 in the nfl

banzaitrey said:
I think it would look something like this if we got Lawson and Peterson...
4-3
De Jason Taylor
Dt Traylor/Adams
Dt Holliday/Wright
De Carter/Lawson

Olb-Peterson
Mlb-Thomas
Olb-Crowder

3-4
De-Carter
Dt-Traylor/Adams
De-Holliday/Roth

Olb-Lawson
Mlb-Crowder
Mlb-Thomas
Olb-Peterson

Now tell me that wouldnt be one of the best front 7 in the nfl

Thats fine and dandy and all, but in your 3-4 you are forgetting the BEST player on our team, JT. Also, considering we play a 3-4 most of the time, JT plays the OE position and Lawson AND Peterson would BOTH play the OLB position opposite of JT. Hence drafting Lawson and signing Peterson IMO would be a waste. You would have 3 stars that can only play 2 positions in a 3-4....... waste of a player.

emale2u1 said:
Let me guess where you go (or want to go) to school ... FAU :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

I'm not going to lie, I'm heading to FAU in the fall. But because of that, I actually paid closer attention to Owls this year than before. And those two stood out.

Back
Top Bottom