My problem with Jay | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My problem with Jay

IMO Fiedler falls into a familiar pattern of very poor decisions when he has to make plays and he doesn't feel well. Yesterday when it seems like the right place to throw he puts up a balloon. I'm not making excuses for Fiedler because you can't suger coat 4 picks. The reason I say this is because we have seen Fiedler make the needed passes accurately and with authority. Then he has games like yesterday. Fiedler is tough but he really has to learn not to force the play when things are not going well. Three or four picks in a game is completely unacceptable when there is such great talent around him.

True, Feidler did seem off yesterday and a little rattled. I thought his pocket presence was poor. He also seemed to take forever to throw the ball. Every year he seems to have a game where he's not feeling well (or something) and gets into the out-of-sinc, poor decision mode. Jay usually bounces back the following week as I expect him to do this week against the Patsy's - which I think we will win by the way.

As for Jay's overall ability, as another poster put it on the DD board, "Jay is a QB that has to be managed." I agree with that assessment and it is not meant to slam Jay or anything. I also think Brian Griese is another QB that has to be managed. When you have a journeyman QB, who cannot make all the throws, you have to manage him to keep him from losing it for you. Asking to much, goes against his ability and then bad things start to happen. For Jay, dump offs, and the intermediate throws work best. When you start asking him to throw deep, he throws a jump ball, which reduces the odds of it being completed. Throwing it deep on third down is like conceding the down, you might as well pooch punt it.

I still think we can win with Jay as long as Norv sticks with his strengths and avoids the plays that puts Feidler in a position to turn it over. Yesterday, although the defense played horrible, is a game we still could have won if we didn't turn the ball over five times. Ricky fumbled once, Chambers took the blame on one interception and that leaves three interceptions on Jay. Timing and placement could be the blame for those three and thats something Jay can work on and improve. I'm looking forward to our game with the Patriots because it should be a good game against a very solid team that also has somethings to prove...like if they can stop the run. Run-Ricky-Run!

:) :) :)

Other than the D suckin up the field and giving 48 points, the dolphins should have stuck with the run more when the game was close, i think that was a big mistake, they forced the issue with the pass when ricky was having a decent game.

Originally posted by dolfan06
there is nothing wrong with jays ability. when they decided to go with the pass, jay tries to make something happen every play. in the first half, he ate some balls rather than throw into double coverage. in the second have, he not only threw into double coverage, he threw to a spot where there wasn't a receiver. they need to stick with what they know best, RUN THE DAMN BALL!;)

that INT resulted mainly from miscommunication...Jay was under pressure and he thought Chambers was going inside and instead chamber misread the coverage and stay outside...Even Randay cross said that it was obvious he thought chamber was going to be there...His finger was swallon pretty bad according to Mad Dog and he still when out there and for the most part look accurate...The finger must have given him some problems and two of those int weren't really his fault and even the last one looked like he had trouble getting off because of the finger(The pass was ugly from the time left his hand.).Fiedler had the most comebacks last season and he was the highest rated qb in the fourth..I actualy think Jay is at his best when the 4th quater comes around and we need him to get a win...This game went the right way for KC and most of the blame sould go to Bates...He hardly blits and doesn't take rocket scientist to figure that our front four are not getting any pressure..When a qb has that much time to throw, there will always be some one open and I dont care who is out there covering...

SWS84, I agree with most of what you say except
As for Jay's overall ability, as another poster put it on the DD board, "Jay is a QB that has to be managed.

That is a very seductive argument but one that I think is false. Every pass play has a few receivers and it's the QB's responsibility to choose the open option. Most schemes have an outlet option and the QB should throw the ball away if all options are covered or if there is too much pressure to make a play.Turning the ball over is not an option. As for Fiedler not being able to throw the long ball, Turner has been quoted as saying Jay has that ability. We have all seen JF make the long throw just not consistently.

Originally posted by Crisdeman
Other than the D suckin up the field and giving 48 points, the dolphins should have stuck with the run more when the game was close, i think that was a big mistake, they forced the issue with the pass when ricky was having a decent game.
exactly!;)

Re: not so fast....................

Originally posted by clayton83
MIAMIAN: it isn't just one game. thats the point. jay has been doing these same things for 3 years. he is what he is and thats all there is.

we get better wr's, a good run game, a new coordinator and the only one who hasn't picked up the production is jay.

like it or not he tried to give the detroit game away, the detroit defenders just couldn't hang on to the ball. still awfull throws and bad decisions by jay, not just in this game, but over and over and over, etc.........

Is being #1 in the QB rating category for the NFL not picking up the production? Just because he was hurt and threw only two picks that were his fault doesn't mean he sucks. If those other two picks didn't happen, he would be top 5 in those rankings a quarter of the way through the season.

Oh yeah, I'm sure he "tried" to give away the Detroit game. He really wanted to lose that one. He can't stand winning. I think he's the first NFL QB to ever hate winning.

The finger is another important point. Jay probably should have taken himself out of the game, if it was inhibiting his ability to throw, he's just too competitive to do that.

Still, some of you can't seem to remember that he's human and will make mistakes, perhaps repetivitely. If he has bad habits and I can't fathom anyone who doesn't, then he should work on them. And no he doesn't have the talent of Dan Marino. Someone like that probably won't come along again for another generation.

With respect to your opinion, I do not think saying Jay can

throw the long ball makes it so, even if it was Norv Turner who said it. When I read that quote a few months ago, I was hoping Norv saw something in Jay that I did not. Unfortunately, I think it was Norv just trying to give Jay a little confindence. Sure, we all can improve, but to me Jay's passes are barely acceptable when it comes to being a QB. His passes are usually late and behind the receiver. I rarely see Jay hitting a receiver in stride. His deep ball is like another poster said a few days ago, a "DEEP JUMP BALL".

With that said, he gets it done and I don't want to get into bashing Jay. I like him and think we can win with him as long as we don't put to much on his shoulders and expect him to win a game with his arm.

To his defense, I think he is hurt and he is not telling anybody. Remember last year when Jay would scramble much like Trent Green did. Well, notice this year we haven't seen much of that? I know the first three games he didn't need to much, but when I have seen Jay run, he looks a step or two slower and runs kind of ackwardly. I could be wrong, but I think his hip is bothering him. So that makes it a hip and a finger...thats enough to make anybody ineffective when they throw it, especially the long JUMP ball. If he is hurt though, I think a healthy Lucas would be better for us than an injured player who can't throw because of it.

:p

Originally posted by Merman
SWS84, I agree with most of what you say except

That is a very seductive argument but one that I think is false. Every pass play has a few receivers and it's the QB's responsibility to choose the open option. Most schemes have an outlet option and the QB should throw the ball away if all options are covered or if there is too much pressure to make a play.Turning the ball over is not an option. As for Fiedler not being able to throw the long ball, Turner has been quoted as saying Jay has that ability. We have all seen JF make the long throw just not consistently.

Back
Top Bottom