My Take on the SENIOR BOWL and the QB's | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Take on the SENIOR BOWL and the QB's

Finfanforever

Finfanforever
Reaction score
After watching the Senior Bowl I now have the following observations...

Jay Cutler: I see the footwork concerns that the scouts talk about but I also see the arm strength and the release! This kid as I predicted, is a sure first rounder. I didn't think he played particularly well however. I certainly would not pass judgement on 1 qtr performance. THE BOTTOM LINE: I really don't know if I would trade up for him but I would take him @ #16 if he's there. I do think this kid's going to be a star. He just needs coaching.

Brodie Croyle: I thought he played well. Nice arm strength, Cool composure. At just 200ibs. I wonder how he would hold up in the NFL. He has Steve McNair's injury resume and he hasn't even been drafted yet! He may be worth a 2nd rounder BUT don't count on the kid paying off for at least 2 years. He needs coaching and time in the WEIGHTROOM! THE BOTTOM LINE: I would take him in the 2nd round but I would try to slide down about 5-8 slots before I took him.

Charlie Whitehurst: Great size, I thought his arm strength was good considering the wind conditions. He really, quietly outplayed both Cutler and Croyle. I think this kid would be a STEAL in round 3. I would not be a bit surprised to see Saban take a DB with #1, the best OT on the board in round #2 and then grab Whitehurst in round #3. BOTTOM LINE: I think he solidified himself as a sure early-mid 3rd round pick.

Overall I feel much better about if somehow we miss out on Cutler. Don't get me wrong, he is THE QB I hope the FINS land. But I wouldn't be upset with Croyle or Whitehurst either.
Just my opinion...:wink:

IN SABAN WE TRUST!!!

I rather have Croyle than Cutler. My fear is that the hype that Cutler received prior to the senior Bowl will now go Croyle.

Finfanforever said:
I really worry about his injury history.

PRO POTENTIAL: Depending on the source, QB Brodie Croyle is one of the top-five senior quarterbacks available in the draft, with an above-average arm, good instincts for the game and little mobility or physical strength. He'll probably undergo microscopic inspection because a history of injuries, including three surgeries since his senior year of high school. Still seen as a potential second- or third-round pick.

1997-Suffered a left elbow dislocation during his high school freshman year (10/01).

2000-Missed his high school senior season with a torn left knee anterior cruciate ligament.

2003-Suffered a torn labrum in his left shoulder vs. Georgia (10/04) that would limit him to only one play vs. Georgia (10/04) and forced him to sit out vs. Southern Mississippi (10/11)… Underwent shoulder surgery in December (11th) to repair the labrum.

2004-Suffered a torn right knee anterior cruciate ligament early in the third quarter vs. Western Carolina (9/18), missing the rest of the season after undergoing surgery on September 20.

2005-Suffered bruised ribs vs. Auburn (11/19) that continued to bother him throughout practices leading up to the Cotton Bowl.

My fear with Cutler is the accuracy, consistency and decision making. Without those things he's more Kyle Boller than Brett Favre.

I haven't seen enough of him to make a decision (just 3 games and senior bowl).

Right now, I would rank the QB's
Young
Leinart
Cutler
Whitehurst
Croyle

I was particularly impressed with any of them as far as their performance in the game. Cutler does have a live arm and a quick release. But they all played pretty badly. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to get Cutler. I wouldn't trade up to do it. Maybe his lackluster performance will make him fall to us. (Not likely)

caneaddict said:
My fear with Cutler is the accuracy, consistency and decision making. Without those things he's more Kyle Boller than Brett Favre.

I haven't seen enough of him to make a decision (just 3 games and senior bowl).

Right now, I would rank the QB's
Young
Leinart
Cutler
Whitehurst
Croyle

His accuracy is a concern. IMO, it's the biggest. Hopefully though, as his footwork gets better, his accuracy will improve. It should.

SCall13 said:
I was particularly impressed with any of them as far as their performance in the game. Cutler does have a live arm and a quick release. But they all played pretty badly. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to get Cutler. I wouldn't trade up to do it. Maybe his lackluster performance will make him fall to us. (Not likely)

Explain how Whitehurst "played pretty badly". He looked pretty good to me.
Croyle looked solid as well.

But they all played pretty badly.

I was going to say something about this, but I see it's been addressed.

Cutler still makes me nervous. Nothing I saw yesterday made me less nervous. Not more, particularly, either, just one game. But he does make me nervous.

Much more nervous about trading up to get him than taking him at 16.

If we were going to trade up to get him, then the hell with it, trade all the way up to Leinart or Young - because there is a big gulf, IMO, between those two and everybody else, when you take into account talent, intangibles and NFL readiness.

nopony said:
I was going to say something about this, but I see it's been addressed.

Cutler still makes me nervous. Nothing I saw yesterday made me less nervous. Not more, particularly, either, just one game. But he does make me nervous.

Much more nervous about trading up to get him than taking him at 16.

If we were going to trade up to get him, then the hell with it, trade all the way up to Leinart or Young - because there is a big gulf, IMO, between those two and everybody else, when you take into account talent, intangibles and NFL readiness.

No offense but...the scouts KNOW more than you and I put together and they are HIGH ON CUTLER. Don't judge him on 1 qtr of football. He's the REAL deal.

Charlie Whitehurst: Great size, I thought his arm strength was good considering the wind conditions. He really, quietly outplayed both Cutler and Croyle. I think this kid would be a STEAL in round 3. I would not be a bit surprised to see Saban take a DB with #1, the best OT on the board in round #2 and then grab Whitehurst in round #3. BOTTOM LINE: I think he solidified himself as a sure early-mid 3rd round pick.

Whitehurst has a big arm, better than Croyle & probably better than Cutler's. He's playing at about 75% after having shoulder surgery. I'd love to get him in the 3rd round.

The REST of the Qb's that played aren't worth drafting!

Yeah, I wouldn't touch Hackney, Robinson, or Shockley.

Back
Top Bottom