My Take on the SENIOR BOWL and the QB's | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Take on the SENIOR BOWL and the QB's

SMadison29 said:
Whitehurst has a big arm, better than Croyle & probably better than Cutler's. He's playing at about 75% after having shoulder surgery. I'd love to get him in the 3rd round.

whitehurst is too mistake prone for my taste. i prefer croyle in the 2nd round to cutler in the 1st or whitehurst in the 3rd.

Finfanforever said:
No offense but...the scouts KNOW more than you and I put together and they are HIGH ON CUTLER. Don't judge him on 1 qtr of football. He's the REAL deal.

No offense, but we have NO IDEA what the real scouts think.

And what on earth makes you think I am judging him on one quarter of football?

I believe the thrust of my post was two things:

1. He makes me nervous, for a lot of reasons.

- I am wary of guys who shoot up draft boards based on arm strength. They tend to be overdrafted and bust frequently. I prefer intangibles and accuracy every day of the week.

- We have almost no knowledge of how he plays in big, meaningful games. We have no reason at all to think that he will be the type of QB that will elevate his team and will them to victory.

etc.

Do I think this means he's bad or would be a bad pick? No. I mean what I said, that he makes me nervous. I think that's more than valid.

2. The other thrust of my post was that he doesn't belong in the same stratosphere as Leinart and Young... this is more about them and what they did then it is about Cutler. They were unbeleivably exceptional... he was a great QB on a bad team. Not the same thing.

Here is my two cents about the QBs in the game:

Cutler: He had a bad day. There were some throws that the WRs should have caught, but he was off most of the time. You could see that he had good instincts at QB. But if you took away all the hype about him, and just looked at his play on the field, he didn't separate himself from the other QBs. I do not see him going top 10 in the draft.

Whitehurst: This guy had the best passing day. The guy was just picking the defense apart most of the day. He looked like he had good instincts for QB too. I think this guy may have moved up a few notches based on his performance in the game.

Croyle: He started the game out well, but died off towards the end. He looks like he has some ability, but I question his durability and how well he will play at the NFL level. I don't see how he could be a first round pick, but I think someone will draft him as a developmental guy.

Robinson: This was an interesting player. I believe he was from Penn State. They had him playing alot of different positions, and were questioning his ability to play QB before the game began. I thought he played really well, especially with his feet. He probably helped his position in the draft because he is the type of player that could help a team in more ways than one. He will be another developmental guy.

Hackney: This is another developmental guy. I really liked the way he stood in there and took the hit on that TD pass. He looks like a guy that has good QB instincts, but needs some development. He may be able to play at the NFL level.

Those were the only QBs I saw during the game. Cutler seemed WAY overrated. I know he may be better than what he showed in the Senior Bowl. However, I don't see what all the excessive hype is about. Whitehurst impressed me more than Cutler. Whitehurst seems like a big, pocket passing QB. I don't see him as much of a scrambler though. Miami should pass on Croyle. Hackney may be a guy to consider in the later rounds, if Miami doesn't get a QB in the first round. Robinson may not be a player for Miami. Although I do like his football versatility.

I say let the hype swell around Cutler and let other teams manuever to get him. Miami can get stronger talent at a different position (other than QB) with the 16th pick. Then, get Whitehurst in the 2nd round. Do you think Whitehurst would be around in the 2nd round?

I just want us to get our quarterback of the future. My first choice would be Leinart and then Cutler and Young in second. I just want our team to have a great quarterback and Frerotte isn't doing it.

The more I think about it now the more I'm hoping that we don't draft a QB in round one but instead take the best OLB,DB or O-lineman at 16 then take a QB later on...I like Croyle and Whitehurts and if we miss on those then I'd take a chance on day 2 on either McNeal or Betts if it comes down to it.Everytime 3 QB are taking in round one at least 1 or sometimes 2 of them are busts.I think Nick will take the BAP and will get a QB later on and I'm fine with that.

Ozzy rules!!

just some info on whitehurst ...when he played the of the best defensive units in the acc miami and fsu he had great games...vs miami he threw 2 td and ran for 1 and finshed with 288 yds passing they los in ot by 6...vs fla st they won 35-14 and threw for 269 with 3 tds he had 248 going into the 4th qtr but they ran the ball so he proble would of hit the 300 mark..a cromartie was quoted as saying he thought this guy one of the best qbs not only in the acc but the nation..great complment coming from another great player...whitehurst looked great on sat and i think we need not bother trading ricky or selling the farm for cutler when i say charlie whitehurst can be the guy to take us to the neext level..im serious...i like croyle but his injuries bother me way to much...and nothing aganist cutler he is gonna be great but i think we need to get a safety or cb help 1st with that 16 pick...it all makes sense thats all

uga3406 said:
just some info on whitehurst ...when he played the of the best defensive units in the acc miami and fsu he had great games...vs miami he threw 2 td and ran for 1 and finshed with 288 yds passing they los in ot by 6...vs fla st they won 35-14 and threw for 269 with 3 tds he had 248 going into the 4th qtr but they ran the ball so he proble would of hit the 300 mark..a cromartie was quoted as saying he thought this guy one of the best qbs not only in the acc but the nation..great complment coming from another great player...whitehurst looked great on sat and i think we need not bother trading ricky or selling the farm for cutler when i say charlie whitehurst can be the guy to take us to the neext level..im serious...i like croyle but his injuries bother me way to much...and nothing aganist cutler he is gonna be great but i think we need to get a safety or cb help 1st with that 16 pick...it all makes sense thats all

I agree with you. Cutler has talent, but Miami can use the hype surrounding him as leverage. Let someone spend an early pick on Cutler. Then, that would be 3 QBs in the top 15. It would help Miami's chances of getting a top player at a defensive position.

Miami may be able to get Whitehurst in the second round.

uga3406 said:

AS an FSU guy, I agree. WHitehurst seemed to have a real good command. I'm not sure it translates, but than who really knows.

Funny, how some people say the scouts know. I bet they don't. Brady was missed while guys like Akilli Smith and Joey Harrington are graded high. No one knows.

mcteems said:
Miami may be able to get Whitehurst in the second round.

WHAT?!?!? Whitehurst is a 3rd rounder at the VERY best and your saying we MIGHT be able to get him in the 2nd? Wow

mcteems said:
Here is my two cents about the QBs in the game:

Cutler: He had a bad day. There were some throws that the WRs should have caught, but he was off most of the time. You could see that he had good instincts at QB. But if you took away all the hype about him, and just looked at his play on the field, he didn't separate himself from the other QBs. I do not see him going top 10 in the draft.

Whitehurst: This guy had the best passing day. The guy was just picking the defense apart most of the day. He looked like he had good instincts for QB too. I think this guy may have moved up a few notches based on his performance in the game.

Croyle: He started the game out well, but died off towards the end. He looks like he has some ability, but I question his durability and how well he will play at the NFL level. I don't see how he could be a first round pick, but I think someone will draft him as a developmental guy.

Robinson: This was an interesting player. I believe he was from Penn State. They had him playing alot of different positions, and were questioning his ability to play QB before the game began. I thought he played really well, especially with his feet. He probably helped his position in the draft because he is the type of player that could help a team in more ways than one. He will be another developmental guy.

Hackney: This is another developmental guy. I really liked the way he stood in there and took the hit on that TD pass. He looks like a guy that has good QB instincts, but needs some development. He may be able to play at the NFL level.

Those were the only QBs I saw during the game. Cutler seemed WAY overrated. I know he may be better than what he showed in the Senior Bowl. However, I don't see what all the excessive hype is about. Whitehurst impressed me more than Cutler. Whitehurst seems like a big, pocket passing QB. I don't see him as much of a scrambler though. Miami should pass on Croyle. Hackney may be a guy to consider in the later rounds, if Miami doesn't get a QB in the first round. Robinson may not be a player for Miami. Although I do like his football versatility.

I say let the hype swell around Cutler and let other teams manuever to get him. Miami can get stronger talent at a different position (other than QB) with the 16th pick. Then, get Whitehurst in the 2nd round. Do you think Whitehurst would be around in the 2nd round?
You do realize that Hackney is 5"11' right? He has no chance whatsoever to play QB in the NFL. None. Hopefully there is an Arena League team in Alabama so he won't have to move.

Dolfan4life! said:
You do realize that Hackney is 5"11' right? He has no chance whatsoever to play QB in the NFL. None. Hopefully there is an Arena League team in Alabama so he won't have to move.

He could play middle Linebacker...:sidelol:

I agree with you on Hack, Robinson, and Shockley. Cutler however has the biggest arm out of all the top tier QBs(Did you see that pass that popped Hagan right in the chest, only to have him drop it). His problem is, ofcourse the footwork. He plays flat footed at times. He also tries to force passes. With his quick release and arm strength, he can get away with it at times, but in the NFL, corners will eat him up. I wouldn't move up more the 2 positions to get him, but he will be a franchise type QB on the next level.

fishypete said:
I rather have Croyle than Cutler. My fear is that the hype that Cutler received prior to the senior Bowl will now go Croyle.

Fear not Pete, only those that would make a statement like"I'd rather have Croyle than Cutler" would hype the kid, and all people in the know know that Cutler is a far superior candidate, so you need not fear a big hype wagon for Croyle.

I think Charlie Whitehurst is presenting a whole lot of value out there...I never thought I'd be comfortable with drafting him, but I'm sucked in by his potential, same way everyone at Clemson was.

BlueFin said:
Fear not Pete, only those that would make a statement like"I'd rather have Croyle than Cutler" would hype the kid, and all people in the know know that Cutler is a far superior candidate, so you need not fear a big hype wagon for Croyle.

Hey if a guy that was rated a second rounder can be hyped up to the top ten...anything is possible. I still believe Croyle is the better all around player between them.

Back
Top Bottom