My Theory | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Theory

dolfan87

The Human Bullet
Reaction score
I would like to retain Wannstedt, and the current coaching staff, and promote Spielman to GM.

Let O Gun go for the first and third draft pick tender, release Madison after 6-1, and if the line and second WR position is improved, rework Jay's contract, and draft a QB in the first round.

We would have two number ones, and two number threes. That's four picks in the first day. A QB, a WR in the first round, and then two O lineman with the two 3rd round picks. You never know who is desperate for a pass rusher, we may get a high first rounder from a team like Detroit, Oakland, or Arizona. That puts us in position to get a top flight QB prospect.

Fill in the blank spots on defense with the second day.

Now with cutting Brian Griese, reworking Jay's contract and cutting Madison, we should be in Ok cap shape. Do our usual re-structuring/pay cuts, and we can maintain a decent level of play from the defense.

Now we have Jay start the season, and groom the rookie QB. With a better O line, Jay has time to throw, and Ricky has room to run. A serious threat opposite Chambers, and the defense can't stack the line.

This team has had two 11-5 seasons with Jay at QB, (and Lamar Smith was running the ball). I believe we can improve the offense enough to get another 11-5, or maybe a 12-4 season.

IF we can find a quality veteran QB at the right price, then I am all for letting Jay walk, and going that route. However I am not happy with what's out there, save for possibly picking up Warner at the right price. I know his level of play has dropped off, but his possible upside beats Jay's...big time.

A new coaching staff brings the unknown. I don't know about you guys, but the possiblity of a 4-12 season, wasting yet another year of Zach, and J.T's football playing days makes me wince.

At least we know Wannstedt can produce a winning season, and Spielman filling the GM role might just do the trick. Just look at Holmgren, and what happened when he got all the power...mediocre.

That's MY personal theory, feel free to disagree. ;)

I keep hearing that if they beat the JETS on Sunday, that Wannstedt will be retained. A new GM will be brought in for personnel decisions. Fiedler will be gone, along with some of the high priced FAs. They will focus on getting a FA QB and OL.

Supposedly Wannstedt told Huizenga that at 10-6, they would have made the playoffs if the AFC wasn't so strong. He has a point there as it's been 12 years since a 10-6 team didn't make the playoffs. And back then there were no expansion teams like Jax, Carolina, etc.

Keeping Wannstedt and promoting Spielmann to GM? Isn't that pretty much what we've had the past 4 years anyways? I don't really see the difference except Spielman is actually referred to as a GM.

I agree pretty much with the above except for the fact that our O-line needs fixing now....not after 1-2 years of grooming 3rd and 4th round picks (i.e. Wade Smith). I think we'll pick up more of the O-line through FA and go for 1 good O-line 'project' and pick more receivers so we have more potential to get some good receivers, beef up the O-line now....and have Wade and another guy as 'project' players.....

If we:

1) fix O-line now through FA (unless there's some monster i haven't heard of to draft)
2) draft all receivers and a project QB

we'll be set to:

1) go for a couple of runs over the next 2 years
2) draft more project O and D men in the next 2 drafts

I think we really haven't had that situation, with SP as the GM. I saw someone post that SP wanted Boldin last year and Wanny overrode him for that lame LB.
If Wanny is relagated to the sidelines than I'm ok with it. Even if SP goes and they bring in Mueller that's ok.
It's clear to everyone interested in the Dolphins that we just paid the price for not addressing the offense aggressively in the offseason. There will be a change this year. Better players brought in with the picks O-Gun will yield can change the team.

I can see Wanny back here next year. But it could be in a Holmgren-like scenario where he surrenders personel control. Unlike Holmgren's situation, I see us bringing in a strong GM and not someone who defers. Whether it's Speilman being promoted or someone like Mueller coming aboard, the current structure must change.

At QB, people point to Brunell being 34 next year. But Jay will be almost 32. Then again, Brunell has alot more football years on his body. And as Mark Dixon said, you get old quick in this league. So it will be a question of how much Mark Brunell has left in the tank and how far his skills have eroded.

The OL is very interesting. You've got Seth McKinney likely to inherit the C job. Could Taylor Whitley be ready next year?? Big, strong, nasty, but raw. Will he be in the mix?? What about Billy Yates?? Could some answers to our interior problems already be on the roster?? Jamie Nails is sure to be much healthier and recovered from that Achilles. Does he re-sign and compete for a job at RG?? If we re-sign Todd Wade, it's going to be Wade Smith at LT for a long time. But if we let him go, the possibility arises that we move Wade Smith to the right side and go after another LT. I don't think he's anywhere strong enough to play over there right now. But in the future, who knows.

i got a bit of a theory too, even tho its probably been said a few times before....

cut Brian and Jay both and sign one of 3 players depending on who is let go. Mark Brunell is going to be cut, and Jeff Garcia/Kurt Warner could also be available depending on whether they re-negotiate with their current teams or not. Waner may want a long-term deal and is probably out of our price range, but Brunell would be a great fit to have as a 1 or 2 year caretaker for a young QB.

Then tender O-gun an offer that would require a 1st rounder in return should another team sign him. There are a ton of teams out there (Dallas, Buffalo, Arizona?) that would cough up a top pick to get an all-pro rush end like Wally. We could either package those picks and trade up to get Eli Manning or Ben Rothlisberger or we could use one on J.P. Losman from Tulane (a strong-armed, accurate and elusive QB who is really underrated) and use the other to get either an offensive lineman or a WR like Reggie Williams from Washington (who may be available depending on the pick we have).

Fix the O-line by bringing in John Tate from KC and installing him at either tackle spot....RT if Brunell is signed or LT if we have a righty QB. Use Wade Smith at the other tackle spot (he'll get stronger over the offseason, and has gotten some good experience this season) if Todd Wade isnt re-signed, and go get a mid-level free agent at guard. Let Jamie Nails play the other guard spot, as he should be 100% healthy next season, and is a pretty good guard when hes healthy. Cut Tim Ruddy and start Seth McKinney at center and let him do his thing.

Hopefully, Spiellman is listenin to me! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
The only major problem I see there is promoting Spielman to GM AND retaining Wanny. I believe that would have to be an "either or" proposition since things really wouldn't change all that much if they were both retained. Considering Spielman is Wanny's guy and they've worked together for a long time, it would be really difficult for Spielman to step on Wanny's toes when the time comes for him to do so. Ultimately it could cause a strained relationship that would do more to hurt the organization than help it.

If Wanny stays I'm all for bringing in an outside GM who can say "no" when he has to and if Wanny goes I'm all for Wayne promoting Spielman to the full GM position to control personnel moves for whomever Wayne brings in. Again, "either or" but not both.

Back
Top Bottom