Nat Dorsey - Do Not Be Surprised. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nat Dorsey - Do Not Be Surprised.

Boomer

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if we draft Nat Dorsey to play LT, move Wade Smith to RT until MCIntosh is ready and then play Wade at LG and Jeno at RG, where he played at Carolina and Auburn, and revert back to our old pulling days before Perry and Nails became tractors. This will be in a trade down. If we stay where we are, I get a strong suspicion that Jon Vilma will be the selection, if there. Our problem comes if we can't trade down and if Evans and Vilma and Andrews are gone because then we almost have to reach for Carey or Smiley.

Boomer said:
Don't be surprised if we draft Nat Dorsey to play LT, move Wade Smith to RT until MCIntosh is ready and then play Wade at LG and Jeno at RG, where he played at Carolina and Auburn, and revert back to our old pulling days before Perry and Nails became tractors. This will be in a trade down. If we stay where we are, I get a strong suspicion that Jon Vilma will be the selection, if there. Our problem comes if we can't trade down and if Evans and Vilma and Andrews are gone because then we almost have to reach for Carey or Smiley.

Wade at LG?? the line above you said move Wade Smith to RT... and why would they want to move Wade Smith to RT?? I thought the RT was the bigger body that was more important for run blocking... where Wade Smith is the quick footed athlete who could protect the QBs blind side in pass protection at LT.

Amin said:
Wade at LG?? the line above you said move Wade Smith to RT... and why would they want to move Wade Smith to RT?? I thought the RT was the bigger body that was more important for run blocking... where Wade Smith is the quick footed athlete who could protect the QBs blind side in pass protection at LT.

Wade Smith now weighs 315lbs. He put on 20lbs over the off-season. What Boomer is suggesting puts Smith at RT UNTIL Big Mac is ready to go, then Smith moves over to LG.

Smith has great feet, and is quick, he would make an excellent pulling guard.

It is - but I meant as a fill in till McIntosh is back, before moving him to G. I would be happier playing with Wade Smith at RT for a few games than Greg Jerman or St Clair. the team clearly has a strong interest in Nat Dorsey and with the investment of McIntosh as the RT, why the interest in Dorsey unless he's going to play LT? Especially as Smith has and can play whereas that wouldn't be a position of strength for Dorsey, or one he's played.

I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted Dorsey. I would be surprised if we played musical chairs as you suggest.
Smith is in solid at LT until further notice. More likely would be us drafting Dorsey and moving him to RT. He's a big guy, right? Something like 340 if I remember. He'd probably play RT, with St. Clair at RG. When McIntosh comes back, we'd just re-evaluate the line. If Dorsey is struggling, Mac moves over there. If Dorsey looks good and St. Clair is struggling, one of the two moves to RG, probably McIntosh, since Dorsey is pretty tall (again, I'm going from memory on that). If McKinney is struggling, maybe St. Clair goes there (he used to play center). If Smith is struggling, McIntosh comes in at LT. If everyone looks good, maybe McIntosh sits the bench and works as a swing tackle.

Right now, though, I think the Phins are preparing as though McIntosh will not play this year.

If we wanna win it all this year, then I don't see us moving guys around every other week Is gonna be hard enough for these guys to get use to playing together as we'll have 4 new starters and now if we move Smith too then we'll have new guys at all 5 spots. I don't see that happening at all.

Ozzy rules!!

phunwin said:
I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted Dorsey. I would be surprised if we played musical chairs as you suggest.
Smith is in solid at LT until further notice. More likely would be us drafting Dorsey and moving him to RT. He's a big guy, right? Something like 340 if I remember. He'd probably play RT, with St. Clair at RG. When McIntosh comes back, we'd just re-evaluate the line. If Dorsey is struggling, Mac moves over there. If Dorsey looks good and St. Clair is struggling, one of the two moves to RG, probably McIntosh, since Dorsey is pretty tall (again, I'm going from memory on that). If McKinney is struggling, maybe St. Clair goes there (he used to play center). If Smith is struggling, McIntosh comes in at LT. If everyone looks good, maybe McIntosh sits the bench and works as a swing tackle.

Right now, though, I think the Phins are preparing as though McIntosh will not play this year.

My concern is moving Wade Smith around the OL, hes a converted TE who i think only has experience at LT. I dont know how prepared he would be to bounce around the OL. I'd much prefer taking a RT in the draft and starting him, if necessary, until a more viable solution becomes available...

Also, I get the feeling a Jerman or Whitley will be in the mix at RG with St Clair and a draft pick/FA, so really i think our weakest position is RT and i would focus on improving their before dancing other people around.

Phun - you don't just shuffle a guy like to Dorsey to RG for a place for him to play. Nat Dorsey is a pure T.

Wade has played G and RT as well as TE. Plus physically he's suited more to LT and LG. As D87 said, he has all the tools to be an outstanding pulling G.

Well Danny, then we better just draft a pure RG then. Coz if we draft anyone else there is going to be a lot of shifting. These are pro athletes who have played with a myriad of different people in different schemes over the years. Moving them around isn't a problem.

Boom, i doubt you've studied film of Wade Smith last season, but I'm assuming you'd rate Dorsey higher than Smith??

I know you've supported Smith since we got him and you see alot of potential in him, so it kinda surprises me that you're open to giving Dorsey his spot, especially when we the right side is just one BIG hole that needs to get plugged...

Boomer said:
Wade has played G and RT as well as TE. Plus physically he's suited more to LT and LG. As D87 said, he has all the tools to be an outstanding pulling G.

Well Danny, then we better just draft a pure RG then. Coz if we draft anyone else there is going to be a lot of shifting. These are pro athletes who have played with a myriad of different people in different schemes over the years. Moving them around isn't a problem.

ohhh my bad, i thought Wade had played his first year on the OL at RT and then one year at LT before going into the draft... my mistake.

and i could see him being a great pulling guard, i just wonder how much leverage he can get when the runs coming right at him.

Amin - I saw most of Smiths games last year - missed the 1st and the last. I really like him. But I know that the team is very high on Dorsey. I know that they are high on McIntosh and I know that by those 2 facts alone, Dorsey is not going to be a RT for long. I also know that Smith can play G and has the perfect size for it and I also know that Dorsey isn't a G in our system.

I'm not saying this SHOULD happen, not advocating it, but I'm saying don't be surprised if......

He played G after being a TE, then bumped out to RT, then over to LT.

If they do move down to take Dorsey, I feel they will play him at right tackle. I don't see Wade Smith moving from his left tackle spot anytime soon, though I do feel he would be an All-Pro as a guard whereas he will be just above average as a left tackle.

Now, I could see a situation like this:

LT - Wade Smith
LG - Damion McIntosh
C - Seth McKinney
RG - Jeno James
RT - Nat Dorsey

Back
Top Bottom