Nat Dorsey - Do Not Be Surprised. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nat Dorsey - Do Not Be Surprised.

we then would have another season of a rookie lt. many rookie tackles spend their first season at rt before switching to left. let dorsey earn his pay at rt this season, then next season give him a chance to beat smith out. either way we should start the best 5 players no matter who or where.

Boomer, Amin...that is an interesting thought. I kinda like it...puts the folks we have at their best suited spots on the line...but...since Wade has such little experience and has moved around the line (in college), it scares me a little to think of moving him again. I have heard that they are high on Dorsey as well and he is best suited at LT, but can he start at the pro level this year... Of course if McI comes back mid-year and he is struggling we have some options. And to add to your idea, since we are revamping the whole line, we might as well do it now. Let's see: LT - Dorsey, LG: Smith, C: McK, RG: James, RT: St Clair until McI returns...Then St. Clair can back up the center and tackle spots with Jerman/Whitley backing the G spots...I like it...

The red flag on Dorsey is that he really hasn't improved much since his freshman season at Georgia Tech. I think Dorsey starting as a rookie is a reach. He's got a lot of work to do to get his body into proper condition.

Yup, I took a notice on Nat Dorsey once I saw a few writeups on ESPN Insider. I take him head and shoulders above Jacob Rogers.

A few things. It would be dumb to start a rookie at LT for a 2nd year in a row...especially another 2nd/3rd round type. Thats not even a remote possibility unless Wade Smith takes an injury or Nat Dorsey comes to camp and looks like the next best thing to Tony Boselli in his heyday. Otherwise, you're just asking for our passing game to suck again by doing that.

If we draft Dorsey, he plays RT in his first year (IF he beats out St Clair, remember it won't be easy...St Clair did get better over the season that he played for St Louis, and Dorsey is a career underachiever). If that is the case, its possible that when McIntosh comes back, IF he looks better than Dorsey (also a big if considering McIntosh's injury question marks that have plagued him continually throughout his career), and IF Dorsey looks better than Wade Smith at LT (once again, we'll just have to see Smith play this season to know), then I feel its possible we could move Smith to where a lot of GMs had him slated in the draft, LG...moving Dorsey to LT and McIntosh to RT.

But those are a lot of Ifs and not least of which is Dorsey switching from a career underachiever to an overachiever.

In the meantime, I feel like sooner or later Boomer you're going to have to come to grips with the fact that McIntosh could just be another Blake Brockermeyer. He hasn't even played RT as a pro yet, and he's been significantly injured I believe in every year he's been in the league, including and especially this year where he won't have the benefit of a training camp to get acclimated to linemates, the RT position, or playbook...and yet you've got the guy penciled in as a perennial starter and a mainstay on the OL. He only got a $300k signing bonus I believe. That correctly reflects our team's commitment to him...in other words he could be cut tomorrow with no sweat off anyone's brow.

Yeah I'm not sure if we'd want to start another rookie at LT...personally I think the coahes are content with Wade Smith starting again. I think we'd be looking at RT. It would be dumb to just assume McIntosh will just step right in and start. He's missed a lot of games due to injury throughout his career and I think we've learned our lesson with Mark Dixon. As for Dorsey..well he's a better option than Jacob Rogers, but I'm still not sold on him. He never seemed to improve in college. If we're going to start a later round rookie at RT,personally I'd rather have Kelly Butler. He's huge and has great upside. Can be solid as a rookie and will get even better with time.

Well, he didn't seem to improve in college maybe because the level of competition never forced him to hone down on his technique and whatnot...he's got a remarkable set of physical gifts. Even with his perennial underachievement, he only let up like what, 4 sacks his whole career? In the NFL he'll definitely be forced to work harder, sink or swim. The question is, is he dead set against not working hard or not improving, or will he rise to the occasion. Hopefully the whole psych testing thing would have given the coaches the idea that he'll rise to the occasion, if we do indeed end up drafting him.

Boomer said:
Don't be surprised if we draft Nat Dorsey to play LT, move Wade Smith to RT until MCIntosh is ready and then play Wade at LG and Jeno at RG, where he played at Carolina and Auburn, and revert back to our old pulling days before Perry and Nails became tractors. This will be in a trade down. If we stay where we are, I get a strong suspicion that Jon Vilma will be the selection, if there. Our problem comes if we can't trade down and if Evans and Vilma and Andrews are gone because then we almost have to reach for Carey or Smiley.

Boomer, I read and respect your opinion on our Fins as I am sure most on this board do. However, I do not subscribe to your latest theory. #1, as others have mentioned in reply, no way do we start a rookie at LT and go through another season of a rookie learning curve and face the potential critical errors that happened last year all over again. All rookie lineman struggle at one time or another in their first year, they just take time to develop. With 4/5ths of the line replaced, to suggest moving the only player where we have some stability doesn’t make sense. Not to mention, the setback in Wade Smith’s development and having to learn a new position in the pro’s. The best scenario for Smith is to let him continue to improve and grow in to his permanent starting LT spot. Damion McIntosh was signed as the RT of the future. Whether it is now or next year, he will line up and start at RT, in all likelihood. He was a very solid player for the Chargers and there is no reason to think that he won’t recover from his injury and be able to contribute in the future. Sure we signed him to a low risk contract, but they also committed to him for 6 years. If he was that great of a risk why didn’t they just sign him for a year or two??? Yes he played LT, but the move from LT to RT shouldn’t be one that he can’t handle. Either way, there is not this dire need at tackle. We will probably have 4 solid players at tackle on opening day, more than in recent memory, with 1 on PUP. Smith, St. Clair, S. Page, and Jerman (G/T). When McIntosh returns, Jerman likely gets the ax. To draft a tackle with a #1,2, or 3 would be a waste of a high selection since it appears there is no need for a starter now or anywhere down the road since McIntosh and Smith are both very young and the probable bookends of the future. I believe the need on the line is at LG. There is no player, other than Billy Yates (who will not likely make the final roster), that can play LG after Jeno James. Whitley, Jerman, Shawn Andrews, and Vernon Carey are all earth moving power guys best suited to RG or RT. To draft Andrews or Carey means that they are undeniably giving up on Taylor Whitley, who now has had that year of development that most lineman need. He may or may not pan out, but at least draft a guy that has added value to the roster if in fact Whitley does start. I do agree with one aspect of what you are suggesting and that brings me to my take on this. My opinion is that the player they will draft will be a left side guy who can come in and compete with Whitley, St. Clair, Jerman, and possibly Soloman Page for the RG job. If the draft choice does not start, he will then back up at LG. Or as you have suggested, he could win the job outright at LG if they move Jeno James to RG, which I think could be great and may be part of the plan. This would then eventually allow St. Clair to be the 6th man and give them excellent depth. I think that they will look very hard at Justin Smiley, Chris Snee, and Sean Locklear. Snee would also give them another swing guy that could back up at center, which is what Yates does also. This also gives them another center if St. Clair is starting at RT, which he may be for awhile. I believe that Yates is the guy they are going to draft to replace. I think that they will try to get in to the second round to take the best available of LG prospect and take a WR with their own #1 at 20 or someone else’s, like NE, at the end of round 1. I like the idea of NE’s 32nd and 63rd picks, which would facilitate my scenario with excellent value to suit their needs. They can accomplish LG and WR with those picks. Smiley or Snee at the end of one and any number of choices at WR at the end of round two.

Wow, thats some interesting stuff Boomer. Im tend to doubt that Dorsey will come in and start at LT from day one. However, I like the idea that they are making plans to trade down.

I could see that as a possibility. However i believe Wade will cement his LT sopt this year,especially with Jeno there to help. The center position is up in the air to me. Mckinney better make it because he is not suited to play guard to me. Dolfanreal69

Hey I didn't say this was what was going to happen. What I said was that Dorsey has come in and the team are interested. His name has been floated in the papers as well. He's a T, he's not the G that works in our scheme. OK, so he might not play LT, but IT WAS JUST AN IDEA I WAS FLOATING. And I said "DON'T BE SURPRISED IF THIS HAPPENS". Knowing Dorsey's game and knowing he's not suited to play G, I said...this is what could happen. Hold your horses.

CK - McIntosh is a strong run blocker whose skills easily translate to RT. Miami signed him to a contract to play RT so they KNOW he can play there. His ankle injury takes time to recover because of the weight and strain that he puts on the ankle through the season. Having seen him play on a number of occasions for the Chargers, I know him to be a good, strong, young player. Do you REALLY think that Miami would have gone through with the deal if they thought he couldn't play??? That's ridiculous.

BTW - I have been one of the biggest advocates of Wade Smith, so all calm down. :)

Bottle Nose said:
How would this fit into our draft order? Would he be there for our 3rd rounder?

It's doubtful that Dorsey would be there for our 3rd round pick. Mel Kiper has him as a 2nd round pick. He could slide (after all, he's got some man-boobs), but I doubt he'll fall to the #87 pick. It's certainly not something we'd want to count on.

Back
Top Bottom