National Team Senior Bowl O-Line day 1 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

National Team Senior Bowl O-Line day 1

TraderJoe

FinHeaven VIP
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Some really good stuff here. Interesting that they moved Quinn Meinerz from LG to Center. Flores looking to find his future C?

Meinerz is now up there with Devonta Smith as my favorite players in this draft.

Bear in mind that these highlights are against DIII, but he's been planting some top 50 talent at the Senior Bowl too.

There’s probably a rough lesson down the road for folks falling in love with d3 guys

seen a lot of low comp guys look the part senior bowl week and never really carry it over

one exception was probably Brandon williams he looked the part and he’s played it d2 if I recall

The lesson may also be to not discount someone just b/c they played in a lower division. That way you don't miss out on guys like Malcolm Butler or Brent Grimes. Obviously you factor the competition in any evaluation.

It probably doesn’t help that I don’t think there’s a whole lot of dline talent at the senior bowl either

I think duvernay tardif is probably the last small school oline senior bowl participant that has panned out and he’s been ok to solid Id say.

and he came from Canada

My review of the Coaches Tape for the National OLs.

Been going through all of the Senior Bowl equivalent of the All-22 footage for the National team, paying particular mind to the OL/DL matchups.

There are some players that I didn't really know that I needed to go back and look at, but now I do.

First is Quinn Meinerz of Wisconsin-Whitewater. Pach, he's one for the list. He's got everybody buzzing. He was a LG there but Dolphins coaches have been cross training him at Center and he's been phenomenal. He came in 6032 & 320 lbs, and he carries it really well. He has 33" arms and better than 10" hands. I'd cite the wing span but I swear they did something with the wing span measurements this year they somehow screwed them up. But anyway. Nasty as hell, was burying Levi Onwuzurike and Osa Odighizuwa into the dirt, and nobody else could do that to Onwuzurike. Very mobile, very athletic looking. There's just a level of fight in him that you can tell translates.

But another guy I'm going to have to go back and watch is Spencer Brown of Northern Iowa. I didn't know anything about him but he's practicing really, really well. He measured 6084 and 315 lbs. and for a guy that is 6'8.5" he really doesn't come off on tape like he's built awkwardly tall or anything like that. I've seen plenty of too-tall looking tackles that aren't built for good leverage. He's not that, at all. Really good lateral movement, good hand use, natural heaviness to him, just a smooth player who is more than holding his own in drills that should favor the defensive player. He bumped up from facing FCS players to facing guys like Rashad Weaver, Daelin Hayes, Ade Ogundeji, Jonathan Cooper, Tarron Jackson, and Shaka Toney...and he's the one dominating them.

I've mentioned DIllon Radunz of North Dakota State before. The thing about this practice footage that really hits you hard, something you already know but with this footage you can really just see how deep the rabbit hole goes on this one, is how GOOD he would be in a zone scheme. His lateral burst is phenomenal. On these zone plays he and the left guard are both supposed to be moving lateral at the same time and he's practically mowing over his own linemate within two steps. He fared well, overall, in the pit drills. He does well in pass pro (didn't let up a sack in 2019). But it's this mobility that will intrigue all these teams that are going to try some variation of Kyle Shanahan's system this year. He's really punchy, feisty, too. That shows up on NDSU tape and it's there in practice footage too. He measured 6055 & 304 lbs., with 33.25" arms, just over 9" hands. Good measurements for the FCS kid. Importantly, the pure strength looks like he fits right in among these guys, and that's the thing that would be hard to tell from FCS footage.

This guy is one that Pach has on his underclassmen list, but I hadn't looked at, and that's James Hudson of Cincinnati. The first thing that stands out about him is you're seeing all these OLs who look like OLs and then you see a guy line up at right and left tackle who looks like a tight end. He measured well, 6043 & 302 lbs. with 33" arms and amazing 11" hands. And he shows strength and anchor in these practice reps. But he carries the weight like a defensive end (his former position) or a tight end. He moves like that too. He was one of the guys in practice that was just mostly unassailable.

The last guy I'll mention here is Robert Hainsey from Notre Dame and that's just because I hadn't looked at him. I saw them play this guy at Center, at Left Guard, at Right Guard, and Right Tackle. And no matter where he went, he won the rep. There's not anything about his build or mobility that reaches out and grabs you. He measured 6044 & 302 lbs. with 32" arms and nearly 10" hands. But he's just really smart, really well coached, uses his hands well, and anchors really well. He's not a guy that you'd say is sexy for the zone like Dillon Radunz, but he clearly is a guy who's no stranger to zone blocking.

Suppose I should mention that Creed Humphrey of Oklahoma and Aaron Banks of Notre Dame looked themselves. There's nothing about what they did out there that felt like they gave me new information.

I will take Humphrey off this teams oline

I do see a couple interesting tackles maybe but not interesting enough for me to use a top 50 pick on

not with what I already have in house

Last edited:
I watched all the espnu stream today and Meinerz looked awesome. He gave a really nice interview too, came over as someone with a great work ethic and someone how is willing to take coaching, probably a perfect profile fit for Flores.

The Dolphins walked into the 2020 season hoping that in a year the only OL position they were going to need to tackle was Center. That's not speculation, it's what I know.

Ted Karras is a UFA, so they're kind of forced to address the position.

Would not be shocked one bit if they decide they're coming out of the draft with Creed Humphrey or Quinn Meinerz.

The Dolphins walked into the 2020 season hoping that in a year the only OL position they were going to need to tackle was Center. That's not speculation, it's what I know.

Ted Karras is a UFA, so they're kind of forced to address the position.

Would not be shocked one bit if they decide they're coming out of the draft with Creed Humphrey or Quinn Meinerz.

Makes total sense, but I also wouldn't discount the idea of bringing back Karras or going another veteran route. They've got to be a little concerned about the lack of experience on the line.

Makes total sense, but I also wouldn't discount the idea of bringing back Karras or going another veteran route. They've got to be a little concerned about the lack of experience on the line.

that’s why I don’t think they would go with any small school project as a plan a draft pick

I’m thinking humphrey is the guy they want. Just a matter of where we have to get him.

that’s why I don’t think they would go with any small school project as a plan a draft pick

I’m thinking humphrey is the guy they want. Just a matter of where we have to get him.

They may go that route later in the draft, to develop, but bring back a Karras type on a short term deal to start. Even with Humphrey a line consisting of 1 rookie, 3 2nd year players and Erick Flowers would be seriously lacking in veteran experience to protect a 2nd year QB.

Back
Top Bottom