NBA series-by-series predictions | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NBA series-by-series predictions

Alex22 said:
This is the last damn time in gonna say this and it goes out to EVERYONE who thinks the pistons cant lose

THEY ARENT SUPER HUMAN BASKETBALL PLAYING MACHINES

they can be beaten

Really? Wow, I never knew that! All this time, I thought Joe Dumars had this secret factory outside Detroit, pumping out cyborgs with skill far beyond that of regular humans. My real fear wasn't that the Pistons would go 82-0 and win the title, but rather that this might ultimately lead to the humans vs. machines war, like in Terminator 2 and 3. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I'll strongly reconsider my NBA playoff picks now, in light of this new information.

phunwin said:
Really? Wow, I never knew that! All this time, I thought Joe Dumars had this secret factory outside Detroit, pumping out cyborgs with skill far beyond that of regular humans. My real fear wasn't that the Pistons would go 82-0 and win the title, but rather that this might ultimately lead to the humans vs. machines war, like in Terminator 2 and 3. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I'll strongly reconsider my NBA playoff picks now, in light of this new information.

I think you missed the point....but I put it as clearly as I could...but hey I'll try again

The Pistons are beatable, and everyone walks around like they cant be beat by any team.

If you couldnt see the humor in the Super Human Basketball Player thing you need to take a step back and be less serious

Section126 said:
And you aren't a homer?

At least some of us..like ME and Blueprint picked the Pistons to beat the Heat..

Don't be surprised if your Pistons all of sudden are faced with a serious problem in the ECF...fair warning.

I pull for my team, like you do. I just don't let it dramatically alter my perception of reality, like your boy dob.

I've got immense respect for the Heat, you know that. Hell, I was one of the few Pistons fans on Planet Earth who owned up to the fact that Miami probably beats Detroit last year with a healthy Dwyane Wade.

phunwin said:
I pull for my team, like you do. I just don't let it dramatically alter my perception of reality, like your boy dob.

yeah ur right i guess its dramatic alter of reality to think a team that sweep the pistons thru the season could beat them in the playoffs

i guess ur not a homer cuz ur "team" is not where ur home is lol

Alex22 said:
I think you missed the point....but I put it as clearly as I could...but hey I'll try again

The Pistons are beatable, and everyone walks around like they cant be beat by any team.

If you couldnt see the humor in the Super Human Basketball Player thing you need to take a step back and be less serious

Of course the Pistons are beatable. I'm just betting against it; they are the least flawed team in the NBA playoffs. But any of the following things could easily derail Detroit's drive for 2 titles in 3 years:
1. an injury to Billups or one of the Wallaces would be instantly fatal to their playoff hopes (an injury to Hamilton or Prince would be difficult, but probably survivable).
2. a team capable of frustrating Ben Wallace to the point where he starts playing like a thug (never forget: Wallace started the infamous Palace Brawl and probably got off easy with a 5 game suspension), or a team that gets in Rasheed's head and gets him to pop off and rack up T's like Old School Sheed. Rasheed has calmed down in recent years, but is still a mental midget at heart.
3. a team with a defender who can fight through screens and hound Rip Hamilton endlessly. This would take Detroit's best scorer out of play, since Hamilton is fantastic without the ball, but often relies on screens and curls to get his shot. It wouldn't hurt to have a guy who could bully the frail (yet amazingly durable) Hamilton and get him off his game.
4. a team with a low-post presence capable of forcing Detroit's bigs into early foul trouble, thus exposing the relative lack of depth on the bench. Antonio McDyess is the only reliable power big; Dale Davis is mostly good for 6 fouls at this point. In the likely Miami series, Detroit must get 5-8 minutes a night from Davis where he more or less holds the fort against the Big Whatever. Elden Campbell did this beautifully in the 2004 Finals; Davis must revisit that. Rotating defenders on Shaq is a must; he's still too big and strong to be handled by one man, even if that man is Ben Wallace, the likely Defensive POY. The Wallaces and Davis need to rotate on him. McDyess would have to be kept away from O'Neal as much as possible, as he's easily pushed aside down low by Shaq.
5. a team that plays good enough team defense to force the ball to Prince; his offensive repertoire is limited and predictable; reasonably accurate chicken-winged jumper from outside, drive and spin left in the paint. That's pretty much it. The Pistons will avoid getting it to Ben Wallace as much as possible.

Blueprint said:
Are you serious? That's a ridiculous statement.

You people need to stop taking account to these damn regular season games..

Miami & New Jersey obviously have a better shot @ beating Detroit.

NJ has no shot against the Pistons. Of course Miami can beat them, but I doubt they will take a 7 game series. You just cant ignore the mismatches that Arenas and Jamison present for the Pistons. Rip and 'Sheed just cant guard them.

Ferretsquig said:
NJ has no shot against the Pistons. Of course Miami can beat them, but I doubt they will take a 7 game series. You just cant ignore the mismatches that Arenas and Jamison present for the Pistons. Rip and 'Sheed just cant guard them.

To be quite honest...Rip Hamilton can't guard ANYBODY..without clutching and grabbing of course...

Rip is a very good help defender..but if left in ISO situations..he's toast.

I watched a couple of the Piston / Wizards games this year...and the Pistons just tried to "push" Arenas to spots on the floor with traps..

It didn't work..Arenas can shoot from anywhere.

Ferretsquig said:

You're right: you can't ignore the mismatches. Detroit has an edge at four positions, Washington at 1, assuming you're counting Arenas as a 2 and not a 1.

Arenas is a problem, but I would think they'd put Billups on him, rather than Hamilton, since Billups is a very good defender. I actually don't think Hamilton's that bad. He's not great, and he's certainly made better by his teammates, but he works hard. I suppose the thought is that Hamilton would be a better defender for Arenas because GA has a killer first step, and Hamilton is the quickest Piston, but that should probably be reconsidered.

Jamison is not a matchup problem, however. Sheed is an outstanding on the ball defender, and should do just fine against Jamison. On the defensive end, Jamison isn't much, and certainly not enough to stop Sheed.

You can ignore the regular season if you want, but the Pistons only lost 18 games, three of them to the Wizards. And 'Sheed never could contain Jamison, nor could Rip slwo down Arenas. Jamison is a matchup problem....he can go by 'Sheed anytime he wants and is the most creative finisher in the league when around the rim. The game comes down to a lot more than individual matchups....right now the Wiz just play Detroit better than anyone else. Butler, Arenas, and Jamison have each had their turn dominating Detroit.

Ferretsquig said:

New Jersey matches up better with the Pistons the the heat do? so where do u get that from?

Back
Top Bottom