Need starting caliber DB's | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Need starting caliber DB's

If you are picking for "need" at that point in the draft, there is a reason you are picking at that point. Passing on the BPA for a reach need is a terrible idea. Gurley is the kind of player that can improve those around him, including the line and the passing game. If Parker and Waynes are gone, as much as I like Kendricks, Gurley is probably the best option available at that point. That's why people are talking about him.

Looks like based on the word out this morning, Gurley will be gone between 6-10, so there is no need for us to keep trying to convince people apparently.

We have Benton. No need to draft an entire new line

Can't make an omelet without eggs. Benton is an excellent O-line coach but without the players he can't make the ZBS work. Bring in the athletes on the O-line and let Benton sort it out. We can't just stay pat and expect an O-line that gave up 46 sacks last year and ranked 31st in pass pro and 29th in run blocking to get better magically. We lost two starters from that line...Colledge and Satele...neither of which were very good but one of the replacements, Dallas Thomas, flat out sucks worse than both.

Looks like based on the word out this morning, Gurley will be gone between 6-10, so there is no need for us to keep trying to convince people apparently.

How can that be? I thought his knee was going to fall off? Not to mention the insane amount of coke...

Can't make an omelet without eggs. Benton is an excellent O-line coach but without the players he can't make the ZBS work. Bring in the athletes on the O-line and let Benton sort it out. We can't just stay pat and expect an O-line that gave up 46 sacks last year and ranked 31st in pass pro and 29th in run blocking to get better magically. We lost two starters from that line...Colledge and Satele...neither of which were very good but one of the replacements, Dallas Thomas, flat out sucks worse than both.

The line was only bad after Albert went down. Pouncey will be much better at Center and James back at RT. Turner is a perfect fit for the acheme. You can say he is all potential but he has the athleticism you look for. We should draft a guard i agree but that's all.

The line was only bad after Albert went down. Pouncey will be much better at Center and James back at RT. Turner is a perfect fit for the acheme. You can say he is all potential but he has the athleticism you look for. We should draft a guard i agree but that's all.

Yeah, I never understood that knock on him coming from those wanting to draft guards. Aren't draft picks just potential too? Where would Turner be drafted in this year's bunch?

We have no idea where Turner is in his development, but he certainly has the talent, athleticism, etc. to do it. At some point, you have to start counting on your developing talent. Only a flat out terrible coaching staff needs a line of 5 first rounders.

He's also from a D2 school and has only played 10 or so snaps in the NFL. When the difference between getting swept by the Jets and Bills comes down to counting on Billy Turner and Dallas Thomas handling Marcel Dareus, Kyle Williams, Muhammad Wilkerson, and Sheldon Richardson I think you need to invest all you can in the guard position. Those aren't just elite defensive lineman all those players are among the best 50 players in the league. That's why Miami never scores on either of them.

I'm going to be quite happy if Waynes drops to us. I think 1 or 2 top tier talents will drop to us and CB is obviously a position of need with an excellent prospect.

But Waynes is the only clean prospect I see at CB, and I don't see any good S prospects.

The problem is that again this year there are a lot of good CB prospects that all have an issue or limitation. Those guys aren't value at #14 IMHO.

I love Kevin Johnson. .. but he lacks the recovery speed we want. Peters lacks that speed and has disturbing baggage along the lines of Aqib Talib. Then there are guys like Ronald Darby who have the physical tools and less baggage but are raw and require developing ... not good for a team that typically doesn't sign it's high picks to 2nd contracts.

So I'd go BPA as long as the guy is a scheme fit. I think we can find good CB prospects in every round, so no need to reach, IMHO. Same for WR.

If we go CB or WR in round 1, I expect us to grab two of the other in the mid or lower rounds. For Instance if we grab Waynes in the 1st, I do not expect a CB or WR in round 2, but I would expect two WR's in rounds 4-6. Just a hunch.

He's also from a D2 school and has only played 10 or so snaps in the NFL. When the difference between getting swept by the Jets and Bills comes down to counting on Billy Turner and Dallas Thomas handling Marcel Dareus, Kyle Williams, Muhammad Wilkerson, and Sheldon Richardson I think you need to invest all you can in the guard position. Those aren't just elite defensive lineman all those players are among the best 50 players in the league. That's why Miami never scores on either of them.

Dallas Thomas is clearly the bigger issue there and only one or two have argued otherwise. In another thread you suggested drafting two OGs in the 1st two rounds (no offense, but it's probably one of the worst draft ideas I've ever seen on here. Pure overreaction.) and provided Scherff, who may not get to us, and Tomlinson. What makes Tomlinson a better player than Turner and by how much? Again, where would Turner have gone this year, a year with pretty weak competition? Further, Turner, as you point out, has NFL snaps, experience with the system, and a year of coaching under his belt. Tomlinson does not.

Though I would hate the pick of Scherff because I'm tired of throwing high picks at the o-line while flat out ignoring everything else and actually developing our own talent, I can at least buy that at some level. At least him being better than Thomas is damn near a sure thing. You certainly can't say that about Tomlinson vs. Turner.

He expects the guy to sit for a few years. Maybe underestimating is the word. This guy will be a stud starting this year. I'm very confident in that

A stud this year but couldn't break into the starting lineup last year. Makes sense.

A stud this year but couldn't break into the starting lineup last year. Makes sense.

Is that on him or on a coaching staff that inexplicably opted to continue starting Dallas Thomas over Fox (and Turner) at RT?

this just in: dolphins need really good players at multiple positions!

first reported by mel kiper

I think if HickeyBaum is worth his weight in spit, they'll stay true to their boards and draft according to who's there at 14, BPA. It's not like we're going to have our pick of the litter, we may be in a position where Gurley, Parker, Waynes, Sherff are all gone.....the most interesting thing would be who is their next best WR according to their board (because they sure as hell have had plenty visit), and how does he line up to the alternative options of Gordon, Collins, Johnson, Peters, Kendricks, etc.....

Turf toe is tough for a rookie. Coaches never put him in

Turf toe is rough for anyone! Let alone being a rookie, and as someone else mentioned, the coaches stubborn choice of Dallas Thomas at RT over fox or turner

Back
Top Bottom