Needed a football fix so I popped in a tape | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Needed a football fix so I popped in a tape

NYPhinFan

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
of the Minn game from last year. I knew it would just frustrate the hell out of me but I did it anyway. First off...man did it look good...just seeing those uniforms and Ricky running ...gets you all pumped up again. I am not going to rehash all of what happened...been done a million times...but there are a few points that come to mind when i watched the tape.These are all random ramblings so please forgive me..
1. Jason Taylor is a force...he played like a man possesed and was creating turnovers all over the field...which leads to my second point...
2. There were 2 fumbles just laying on the ground ...and of course instead of trying to just fall on it...we tried to run with it...and Minn fell on the ball...happened so many times last year it made me crazy.
3. I had totally forgotten about a huge unsportsmanlike penalty by McMichael....had problems with those retaliation penalties all year(surtain,Madson...guys who should know better and and cost us some huge yardage and momentum last year) We need to be more focused and under control...I remember blowing a gasket last year at some of these.
4.Man we had alot of penalties on special teams..holding...block in the back...almost on every other punt or kickoff...that has to get better.
5.Man is Ricky a sight to behold...its so easy to forget all he did last year and all the plays he made...he looked so fast and ran so hard....he is what might make us special.
6.Our linbacker play last year was atrocious...aside from Zach...we got no plays from the outside...ran this tape over and over...in slo motion and it was appaling how a non factor our outside guys were...hopefully Junior and Eddie Moore and another year by Morlon might make us better....
7.I forgot how much I love watching Dolphin football...just watching this tape reminded me how loud I screamed while watching it...I miss the passion and excitement of it...can't wait for it to start up again.
8.Lastly we need our defense to play special all the time...not shut a team down one week and then can't get off the field on 3rd down....think we addressed the need for playmakers on the def....we need to be a special defense...and show it every week.
As I write this I realize that i will be at training camp in less than a month...and it justmakes me feel so energized.....so much to look forward too...sorry so long....thanks

Remember when we used to be the least penalized team under Shula.

Penalties drive me crazy. If we get beat, fine, I can live with that.. But to give it away with a penalty. :fire:

Originally posted by Dude
Remember when we used to be the least penalized team under Shula.

Penalties drive me crazy. If we get beat, fine, I can live with that.. But to give it away with a penalty. :fire:

Yeah it helps when your HC is the head of the rules committee, like when Shu’s was our HC. :D

Oliver...

Yeah ...that mite give you an advantage. :D there is no excuse for a penalty after the play though. Thats when someone needs to warm the bench for a while.

Man I hate the penalties. It makes me soooooooooooooooo mad. They will have a great run back on a kick off and some idiot was holding 30 yards away from the play. Or someone will get an unsportsman like conduct after the play. I could have killed some of them for that last year.

Wanny needs to learn to control his team when that happens. Sure they know better but I blame that on the coach and the coach alone.

McMichael said Hovan spit in his face...so he threw a punch after the play....remembered one other play in that game...Dedric Ward dropped a HUGE 3rd down pass right in his hands...if i remember correctly...he did the same in the NE game....those make me pull my hair out...a guy gets his one shot to make a play...and he flat out drops it...thats why he is no longer with us

And people complain when we sign more sure-handed posession recievers instead of speedsters who can't catch.

me too!

Dan the Man showed up at a Pirate game at PNC Park last weekend. They had him sit in with the annoucers for a bit. I HAD to pop in the MNF Elway/Marino matchup I have on tape the next day. Man, when Marino uncorked it, you just knew it was going for a TD. I swear that first TD to Lamar Thomas went off the back of the safety's fingers.

Originally posted by DolphinDevil28
And people complain when we sign more sure-handed posession recievers instead of speedsters who can't catch.

If I remember correctly, Carter, Mr. Hands himself, dropped a TD that would have iced that game..so signing so called sure-handed posession recievers don't qurantee us a catch..and I remember OG dropping a lot of 5 yards first downs last year also..so I said changed them up and bring in speed guys with avg hands who makes the 1st downs and TD's like McKnight did last year. Also who keep Safeties deep and let Ricky run wild. Yea, forget the possession receivers, they don't get in the endzone or make 1st downs..Now DT is my kind of possession\speedster, he makes me feel comfortable..the OG's can go home for all I care.:D

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

Now DT is my kind of possession\speedster, he makes me feel comfortable..the OG's can go home for all I care.:D

Amen

There are so many games that I wish I had on tape. I've never taped any, but plan to this season.

Out of all of last years games I have on tape from last year, that is the one game I refuse to watch and will tape over this year. Did nothing but piss me off.

I'm going to put it on coaching and I believe it will continue to be a major problem this year. NYPHINFAN, your post shows problems we had all year that were never corrected. Unable to recover Fumbles (note the Oakland Game). Penelties on 3/4 of the Kickoff and punt returns. These two issues are the hallmark of the Wannstedt tenure and he's found no way to correct them. Why not offer cheap incentives for a fumble recovery to all players. I have a gut feeling that many of us will be happy to see Wanny go after this season.

Thanks for mentioning the unfortunate tendency to try and run with a fumble isntead of just falling on it. That continually drove me nuts last year!

Back
Top Bottom