New OL guy | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New OL guy

Jssanto

Club Member
Reaction score
When we pick an OL guy in the draft, I would prefer a true T rather than a college guy who will “slide into guard at the next level”.
There are about 10 tackles ranked in the top 40 over all boards. I don’t know if we take a T at 21 or wait till round 2.

Tua's blindside.
Jackson already plays RT and they are obviously very happy with his play since they signed him to a new contract last season.

Their need is at LT because of Armstead’s injury history and at guard. I don’t see them drafting a tackle who only plays RT but any offensive lineman who can play tackle or guard should certainly interest them in the draft.

Jackson already plays RT and they are obviously very happy with his play since they signed him to a new contract last season.

Their need is at LT because of Armstead’s injury history and at guard. I don’t see them drafting a tackle who only plays RT but any offensive lineman who can play tackle or guard should certainly interest them in the draft.
That is my thinking as well. The Barton guy from Duke is predicted to us on a few sites. But he was described as having short arms. With our last short arm and smart school pick (Eich) not panning out as well as hoped, I am not sure Barton is our guy.

That is my thinking as well. The Barton guy from Duke is predicted to us on a few sites. But he was described as having short arms. With our last short arm and smart school pick (Eich) not panning out as well as hoped, I am not sure Barton is our guy.
Watch his film

Trouble is, the best tackles in this particular draft are right tackles.

Our timing is impeccable.
Alt plays LT
Fashanu plays LT
Fautanu plays LT
Fuaga plays RT
Latham plays RT
Mims plays RT
Barton plays LT
Guyton plays RT
Morgan plays LT.
Those are the OTs most often projected as 1st Round.

Lateral quickness/kick slide are more important than arm length. Barton looks like to me a coordinated, smooth, easy mover. He measured 32 7/8" arms. How can anyone believe if his arm length measured about the thickness of a #2 pencil more that then he'd be acceptable at LT but since he is an eighth of an inch under the magic 33" that he is a guard only?

Lateral quickness/kick slide are more important than arm length. Barton looks like to me a coordinated, smooth, easy mover. He measured 32 7/8" arms. How can anyone believe if his arm length measured about the thickness of a #2 pencil more that then he'd be acceptable at LT but since he is an eighth of an inch under the magic 33" that he is a guard only?
Doesn’t sound like much when phrased that way.

An OT who can play OG early would make a lot of sense for Miami.

Fauga, Fautanu and Latham all fit that bill in R1, it is possible one of them could make it to #21 but not very likely.

I would happily grab any of the three should they be there.

Barton is a very versatile IOL who could be an emergency OT but is very likely to stay inside as a Pro.

Jordan Morgan might be best at OG but could play OT.

Alt plays LT
Fashanu plays LT
Fautanu plays LT
Fuaga plays RT
Latham plays RT
Mims plays RT
Barton plays LT
Guyton plays RT
Morgan plays LT.
We would need to trade WAY up to land Alt.

Alt is about as sure of a thing as there is in this draft.

Alt plays LT
Fashanu plays LT
Fautanu plays LT
Fuaga plays RT
Latham plays RT
Mims plays RT
Barton plays LT
Guyton plays RT
Morgan plays LT.
Yup and you can cross a couple of the top ones off the list. Most teams need LT, of course.

It's a great year if you need a RT. More highly regarded ones than I've seen in all the years I've been digging into the draft.

Back
Top Bottom