New OL guy | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New OL guy

Yup and you can cross a couple of the top ones off the list. Most teams need LT, of course.

It's a great year if you need a RT. More highly regarded ones than I've seen in all the years I've been digging into the draft.
It's twisted around with Miami. RT to us is like LT to all other teams. We just extended Ajax to be the RT for a few more years so it appears they are content with him there. The three top OTs who played LT in college are Alt, Fashanu, and Fautanu. Barton was an LT too for the most part. But we do not really know for sure if teams are all considering him a guard only. We can pretty well be sure Alt and Fashanu will be gone. We should hope someone takes Fuaga, Latham, and Mims because they have only ever been RTs in college, save a few RG snaps for Latham in 2021. Could they convert to LT? Why take the chance if you do not need to? That scenario would give us the best chance at Fautanu and/or Barton. After drafting one of them it would be good to come back at 55 with either Dominick Puni or Patrick Paul. Puni started all 2022 at LG and all 2023 at LT. His movement skills are elite too. If we get a guy who could be our long-term LT with the first pick, I'd also like to see us consider Mason McCormick for the long-term LG with the late 2nd pick. He has elite quickness too and great zone blocking grades. albeit at the FCS level.,

I think Lamm and Kion Smith will be fine when armstead doesn’t play. We don’t necessarily have to draft a LT this year. We can sign Risner and be done with the line. We can worry about LT next year.
I hear you brother, but as fast as we were dropping offensive lineman last year we have to draft some much needed help. :ffic:

That is my thinking as well. The Barton guy from Duke is predicted to us on a few sites. But he was described as having short arms. With our last short arm and smart school pick (Eich) not panning out as well as hoped, I am not sure Barton is our guy.
No more alligator arm dudes

It's twisted around with Miami. RT to us is like LT to all other teams. We just extended Ajax to be the RT for a few more years so it appears they are content with him there. The three top OTs who played LT in college are Alt, Fashanu, and Fautanu. Barton was an LT too for the most part. But we do not really know for sure if teams are all considering him a guard only. We can pretty well be sure Alt and Fashanu will be gone. We should hope someone takes Fuaga, Latham, and Mims because they have only ever been RTs in college, save a few RG snaps for Latham in 2021. Could they convert to LT? Why take the chance if you do not need to? That scenario would give us the best chance at Fautanu and/or Barton. After drafting one of them it would be good to come back at 55 with either Dominick Puni or Patrick Paul. Puni started all 2022 at LG and all 2023 at LT. His movement skills are elite too. If we get a guy who could be our long-term LT with the first pick, I'd also like to see us consider Mason McCormick for the long-term LG with the late 2nd pick. He has elite quickness too and great zone blocking grades. albeit at the FCS level.,
I fully understand Tua's blindside and would love to get a LT to replace TA when injured, as most of us would bet he won't make it through the year. Odds are, not the next two either. A capable replacement is high on the list, I feel.

I think the top 3 LTs are gone before 21. Maybe Fautanu will be there to ponder, but I think pulling off a trade down and picking up one of the next level guys would be nice. I think it's great having a guy come in, groom at LG and move to LT in a year or two. It's been done before with good results )

We will probably have a nice choice of RTs, which we don't really need and I wouldn't want to go through another experiment of changing sides. It sometimes works out, but sometimes is not enough.

I will not be surprised at all if Grier and Company avoid OL altogether with our first two picks...

We would need to trade WAY up to land Alt.

Alt is about as sure of a thing as there is in this draft.

There is no way, no prayer that we could ever have a chance at alt. Even if we gave our whole draft, to any one of the top 7 teams, they would still not except it...Not giving away any 2025 picks to move up.

Would love to get Alt, but not at the cost he would be expected to draw.

There is no way, no prayer that we could ever have a chance at alt. Even if we gave our whole draft, to any one of the top 7 teams, they would still not except it...Not giving away any 2025 picks to move up.

Would love to get Alt, but not at the cost he would be expected to draw.
Oh for sure, trading up is not in the cards. We need more picks going forward, not less.

Alt is a pipe dream, hes a hell of a prospect tho.

I just reviewed a consensus mock draft* and six OL were taken before our pick, which left us with a choice of Graham Barton and JPJ before we get to who I would deem second tier players.

I love the idea of JPJ as our center but it seems we have that resolved unless he would like to play guard.

Brewer COULD play guard at 295 now but I don't think that's the plan, they like his run blocking in our scheme. He's also a little short to be a stormtrooper, er, guard.

Williams COULD play guard (his old position) but we still don't know if/when he will be healthy again for us.

* - an interesting study in aggregating who thinks who will go where.

That is my thinking as well. The Barton guy from Duke is predicted to us on a few sites. But he was described as having short arms. With our last short arm and smart school pick (Eich) not panning out as well as hoped, I am not sure Barton is our guy.
So, he won't "pick up the Bill"? - LOL

I think Lamm and Kion Smith will be fine when armstead doesn’t play. We don’t necessarily have to draft a LT this year. We can sign Risner and be done with the line. We can worry about LT next year.
So, the team now has depth?
Good news to me. - LOL

We need to draft an LT, who will play at LG until Teron gets injured or retires....

Back
Top Bottom