NFL Bans "Horse-collar" tackle...(merged) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Bans "Horse-collar" tackle...(merged)

UltraDol-Fan said:
good, they hurt a lot of players. You shouldn't be allowed to grab any part of a players equipment like that.

:lol:

OK

Have you ever played the game?

This isn't like a facemask where it is clearly dangerous if grabbed.
The pads are a part of the body and it is completely rediculous for them to ban this type of tackle. I've tackled people this way and I've been tackled in this way. Myself and none of the people I tackled ever complained or got upset over it.

You can be hurt during ANY tackle and this "horsecollar" tackle is no dangerous than any others IMO.

They are ruining the game with these types of rule changes and it's a shame.

In the imortal words of Jack Lambert after the NFL instituted the "in the grasp" rule for QB's ...... "I think they ought to put dresses on them!"

UltraDol-Fan said:
good, they hurt a lot of players. You shouldn't be allowed to grab any part of a players equipment like that.

On another note....

even in flag football you have to grab a players equipment to make a tackle...... rediculous. :shakeno:

If a technique is shown to have an unusually high risk of injury, the technique should be illegal. Intentionally grabbing the facemask is also a 15-yard penalty. So is a leg whip. So is blocking in the back. So are chop blocks. Personally, I'd also like to see Paul Zimmerman's mantra enacted ("No cutting unless you're face up.").

I'm curious whether we have any hard data regarding whether the technique in question poses an unusually high risk of injury.

You can go for the back of a playes legs if he is the ball carrier, I really don't see THAT many horsecollar tackles though to think this is going to affect too much of the game.... you see maybe one ever 2 or 3 games... or at least I do... most of the time I see good solid shoulders squared up tackles and hits.. I wouldn't worry too much about the "Game being changed" simply of this rule change..

its a horrible tackle....

there was a picture of the Roy Williams tackle on one of the Ravens guys on the front of USA Today yesterday. Didn't look pretty.

fishfan34 said:
You can go for the back of a playes legs if he is the ball carrier, I really don't see THAT many horsecollar tackles though to think this is going to affect too much of the game.... you see maybe one ever 2 or 3 games... or at least I do... most of the time I see good solid shoulders squared up tackles and hits.. I wouldn't worry too much about the "Game being changed" simply of this rule change..
I agree the game won't change that much.

Just like Pass Interference, if it is the only way to stop the guy it will still be done. Just add a few yards on to the end of the run...

I want to know if it's 15 from the spot of the foul or if it's 15 from the LOS......either way, if it's a TD saving tackle, it's got to be made.

If they are going too outlaw a play they should outlaw the chop block which is a DT killer.

IMO any play that causes an inordinate number of injuries should be prohibited.Part of Denver's succesful OL an rushing game is due to DL being afraid of the chop and cut blocks.

Trekbiz said:
:lol:

OK

Have you ever played the game?

This isn't like a facemask where it is clearly dangerous if grabbed.
The pads are a part of the body and it is completely rediculous for them to ban this type of tackle. I've tackled people this way and I've been tackled in this way. Myself and none of the people I tackled ever complained or got upset over it.

You can be hurt during ANY tackle and this "horsecollar" tackle is no dangerous than any others IMO.

They are ruining the game with these types of rule changes and it's a shame.

In the imortal words of Jack Lambert after the NFL instituted the "in the grasp" rule for QB's ...... "I think they ought to put dresses on them!"

Amen Trek! There is a reason they call it a tackle and not a love-tap.

At this rate, defenders will soon have to ask permission from the ball carrier before touching him. :shakeno:

Whatever happened to just knocking the ball carriers socks off? I miss those days. (BTW, I played OLB so you know that I love the big hit.) :wink:

josephreese said:
If a technique is shown to have an unusually high risk of injury, the technique should be illegal. Intentionally grabbing the facemask is also a 15-yard penalty. So is a leg whip. So is blocking in the back. So are chop blocks. Personally, I'd also like to see Paul Zimmerman's mantra enacted ("No cutting unless you're face up.").

I'm curious whether we have any hard data regarding whether the technique in question poses an unusually high risk of injury.
The league reviewed tape and 6 tackles of this nature caused serious injury, 4 alone by Roy Williams.

99% of the players in the NFL go their whole career either never hurting someone seriously by tackling them, or only doing it once. For Roy Williams to do it 4 TIMES IN A YEAR is ridiculous, let alone when they happened from a "behind the runner pulldown" and not viscious helmet/shoulder contact on a crossing receiver.

There is a reason why the clothesline was banned, there was a reason why the facemask was banned, there was a reason why the club was banned....those, like this, showed a higher number of injuries occuring from that specific type of action. I really dont' see why so many fans have to pull the "tough guy" or no fun league attitude on this. The game will still go on and won't change it's core entertainment because of this, and hopefully it will cut those 6 serious injuries to 1 or 2.

This is getting rediculous!!! Pretty soon they are going to ban hitting all together. ::In 2009 The NFL commisioner Employs a new rule that No defender is any longer allowed to use such force that it brings the ball carrier to the ground. Tagliabu promotes the tacticts of politely asking for the ball, and if all else fails the defender is allowed to swat at the ball with an open hand, but if he accidently slaps the ball carriers hand a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty will be strictly enforced::

CrunchTime said:
If they are going too outlaw a play they should outlaw the chop block which is a DT killer.

IMO any play that causes an inordinate number of injuries should be prohibited.Part of Denver's succesful OL an rushing game is due to DL being afraid of the chop and cut blocks.

The problem is that they are interested in protecting linemen. The league is only interested in protecting their moneymakers.....you know......the stars. Linemen don't put people in the seats. I am certainly not saying that this is right, but it is the truth. It's actually pretty pathetic.

The NFL is once again protecting its poster boys. Had T.O. not been injured, this probably would have gone by the wayside.

Could you, in the same situation, bring someone down by grabbing their jersey?

Back
Top Bottom