NFL Network Report on Tua's Contract Extension | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Network Report on Tua's Contract Extension

Does Tua sign a new deal and for how much a year?

• Yes 30-35 mil a year

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Yes 35-40 mil a year

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • Yes 40-45 mil a year

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Yes above 45 mil a year

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • No plays out 5th year to bet on himself

Votes: 27 24.8%

• Total voters
No they’re not. Statistically, Tua’s been a top 3 qb over the past two years. Also, the dolphins have had many injuries as well. It’s not arguable that Tua has been better than herbert.

Tua lost players better than Corey Linsley, Austin Ekelor and Mike Williams?

Imagine if Joshua Kelly was our no.1 back for a chunk of the season. Phew.

Last edited:
Passing production costs alot of money because it's really hard to find, Fins fan should know this by now... You can micro examine why they shouldn't do it because of many narratives right or wrong, it's not going to matter in the end... When a QB gets a rating over 100 and YPAs over 8 yards in back to back years, you simply have to pay up, the odds of getting better production are heavily stacked against you. Is what it is...
Far from true.

So you just choose the stats you want to point out to make your case. Ignoring things like Tua having twice the INTs that Herbert had last year.

For their careers, their numbers are fairly similar and neither has managed to win any big games.

Herberts first two seasons are better than Tua’s best season but we’re going to pretend 2023 was the end all be all for the debate between the two QBs. The Chargers injuries on offense were more significant than ours.

Tua’s 6 TDs in the last 6 games aren’t brag worthy. Doing it against Washington, Denver and Carolina but not anyone of quality doesn’t mean as much to me as it does to others apparently.
Herbert's rating over the years: 98, 97, 93, 93 YPA: 7.3, 7.5, 6.8, 6.9 Record: 30-32
Tua: 87, 90, 105, 101 YPA: 6.3, 6.8, 8.9, 8.3 record: 32-19

I'm not cherry picking, I'm using the ones that correlate to winning. Total stats are only meaningful in fantasy football.

but how do you have a better OL and "added talent" to the offense with way less money to spend? and if he needs a better OL and more added talent around him then, is he really that good?

not arguing here but again, can he put the team on his shoulders and win playoff games or is he a part of the offense that could win playoff games as long as he gets a lot of help around him?
To me it is questionable, but it is a grey area.

Can he carry a team? Well, he hasn't shown it consistently but in the other hand, how many guys realistically could given only 2.5 seconds to get rid of the ball.

No QB is going to carry a team at an elite level with a dog doo doo, patchwork Oline that changes out inferior players on a weekly basis.

I can see both sides here. Tua hasn't proven he can, but it's valid to say he hasn't really had the opportunity. It's also valid to suggest that there are limitations to his overall game that should be taken into account when constructing a contract.

I, like you, see the ramifications of making a mistake here. I also see the reality that QB salaries are what they are. You can't expect a guy that just led the league in passing to accept a tier 3 contract number, particularly when he did it under what most consider adverse circumstances.

I mean just gesstimate the odds of the different options and you just can't come to the conclusion that letting him walk is a smart move... Ask yourself this, what are the odds the Fins let Tua go and get a cheaper option that gets you better passing production over the next handful of years?

Herbert's rating over the years: 98, 97, 93, 93 YPA: 7.3, 7.5, 6.8, 6.9 Record: 30-32
Tua: 87, 90, 105, 101 YPA: 6.3, 6.8, 8.9, 8.3 record: 32-19

I'm not cherry picking, I'm using the ones that correlate to winning. Total stats are only meaningful in fantasy football.

Where is the winning part coming from? Sweeping the Jets and Pats? Beating the teams with the top picks in the draft?

Just about all of our wins came against the teams picking in the top 11 in the draft including being 4-0 against the 3 worst teams in the league. That doesn’t carry a lot of weight when talking about QB rating last year.

How do the stats look over the last 7 games of the season? Thank god we played Washington in there, right?

I mean just gesstimate the odds of the different options and you just can't come to the conclusion that letting him walk is a smart move... Ask yourself this, what are the odds the Fins let Tua go and get a cheaper option that gets you better passing production over the next handful of years?
You likely won’t. If you really think about it, there is only one elite qb in the league (mahomes). Everyone else has their warts.

Where is the winning part coming from? Sweeping the Jets and Pats? Beating the teams with the top picks in the draft?

Just about all of our wins came against the teams picking in the top 11 in the draft including being 4-0 against the 3 worst teams in the league. That doesn’t carry a lot of weight when talking about QB rating last year.

How do the stats look over the last 7 games of the season? Thank god we played Washington in there, right?
So the last 2 years are the only seasons with bad teams in it or what? Or are the Fins the only team in the league facing these bad teams? I'm confused? Nonetheless, While Fins did bad VS teams with winning records, they did face the 6th toughest SOS when it comes to defenses... and you know, that's really what the QBs face, defenses, not whole teams.

but how do you have a better OL and "added talent" to the offense with way less money to spend? and if he needs a better OL and more added talent around him then, is he really that good?

not arguing here but again, can he put the team on his shoulders and win playoff games or is he a part of the offense that could win playoff games as long as he gets a lot of help around him?
That's fair. I think the comparison has been made to Brock Purdy and look how Purdy has done with a much better offensive line and more weapons. Admittedly, having as many weapons as SF on offense is tough to do. But I think that's the model McDaniel is hoping for, or something close.

So the last 2 years are the only seasons with bad teams in it or what? Or are the Fins the only team in the league facing these bad teams? I'm confused? Nonetheless, While Fins did bad VS teams with winning records, they did face the 6th toughest SOS when it comes to defenses... and you know, that's really what the QBs face, defenses, not whole teams.
Right. I seem to recall before last season started we had the 4th hardest schedule on paper.

You likely won’t. If you really think about it, there is only one elite qb in the league (mahomes). Everyone else has their warts.

The Bears are about to draft a guy who might have something to say about that in a few years.

For real tho... if they do this at that amount... they're going to regret it. And we will be stuck in purgatory for even longer. There better be some injury clauses for the team.
And an out after two years like the Giants did with Daniel Jones. They can move on from him after next season if they want.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom