NFL's Official Greatest Team of All Time: 1972 Miami Dolphins | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL's Official Greatest Team of All Time: 1972 Miami Dolphins

Not sure about this. Injuries to key defensive players were just as devastating in the 1974-76 time frame. The wheels were coming off already in '74, Kiick was all but done anyway and we came perilously close to losing a game by the score of 3-2. Let that sink in.

I think the stabler pass was far more damaging to the heart and soul of this franchise than people give it credit for.
The sea of hands thing? Nah.

I really liked Mercury’s take in the video. I mean hard to argue w no 1 offense, defense, ST, points for, points against, takeaways, fewest giveaways- he also makes a good point about not running up scores when the game was in hand.

I’ll also add that it always perplexed me how teams like the ‘85 Bears were always ranked higher in these listings done by sportswriters. Normally the ‘72 fins team is barely in the top 10 as if the writers were too lazy to truly look at what they accomplished or were biased by recency. To me the NFL has spoken and while not the authority on all things by any means, as the years go by, the sports world is understanding more and more just how incredible this was and incredibly difficult to do. It’s perfection. A record that can never be broken. Tied? Yes. But broken? No. I laughed in 2007 at Greg Gumbel on air when NE and the Giants played that regular season game at the end. Dumbell was annoying Collinsworth w stupid questions like, “Chris - so if NE wins them all except the SB you’re saying it’s not better than the ‘72 Dolphins season?” And Collinsworth being a former player and understanding that losing the SB means you are nothing but a footnote (fair or unfair) finally got fed up and said, “look if you don’t win the whole thing you can’t even compare to what the ‘72 fins did”. Something along those lines. And Dumbell was crushed. This eating rights a wrong of being overlooked by so many or not taken as seriously as they should have. Again, wasn’t a 1 year fluke. Smack in the middle of a 5 year run of dominance.

PS - any jackass that cites our strength of schedule as a factor in ‘72 you dare not metaphorically felate Brady and Belichik as they get spotted 6 wins a year in the division basically for the last 20 years. Yeah, it’s not their fault. Just like it wasn’t ours in ‘72.

People can say "oh, they didn't blow teams away" and "look at their schedule" and "they couldn't beat any modern team". All true, but it's also true that they beat everyone on their schedule. That's it. The discussion begins and ends there. No one else, including the "18 Wins and 1 Giant Loss" 2007 Patriots, can lay claim to that. And yes, the record probably won't be broke, and if it is, then so be it. No one will ever forget who did it first.

different rules...different game.

1 ranked offense...1 ranked defense....the no names shut out the NFC champion in Super bowl 7.

Addionally....due to a quirk in the rules then the 15-0 Dolphins had to travel to Pittsburgh and take on the Steel curtain in the AFC championship game to pull off the perfect season....

I’ll also add that it always perplexed me how teams like the ‘85 Bears were always ranked higher in these listings done by sportswriters. Normally the ‘72 fins team is barely in the top 10 as if the writers were too lazy to truly look at what they accomplished or were biased by recency. To me the NFL has spoken and while not the authority on all things by any means, as the years go by, the sports world is understanding more and more just how incredible this was and incredibly difficult to do. It’s perfection. A record that can never be broken. Tied? Yes. But broken? No. I laughed in 2007 at Greg Gumbel on air when NE and the Giants played that regular season game at the end. Dumbell was annoying Collinsworth w stupid questions like, “Chris - so if NE wins them all except the SB you’re saying it’s not better than the ‘72 Dolphins season?” And Collinsworth being a former player and understanding that losing the SB means you are nothing but a footnote (fair or unfair) finally got fed up and said, “look if you don’t win the whole thing you can’t even compare to what the ‘72 fins did”. Something along those lines. And Dumbell was crushed. This eating rights a wrong of being overlooked by so many or not taken as seriously as they should have. Again, wasn’t a 1 year fluke. Smack in the middle of a 5 year run of dominance.

PS - any jackass that cites our strength of schedule as a factor in ‘72 you dare not metaphorically felate Brady and11 Belichik as they get spotted 6 wins a year in the division basically for the last 20 years. Yeah, it’s not their fault. Just like it wasn’t ours in ‘72.
The only narrative writers have against the 1972 team is strength of schedule. Some point to the playoffs and close wins in the postseason without realizing the Dolphins had to play at Pittsburgh.

That playoff format makes three appearances in a row even more impressive.

The only narrative writers have against the 1972 team is strength of schedule. Some point to the playoffs and close wins in the postseason without realizing the Dolphins had to play at Pittsburgh.

That playoff format makes three appearances in a row even more impressive.
Yep. Too lazy to look up that they had to got to Pitt and play a budding dynasty.

Back
Top Bottom