NHL Agrees to a deal!!! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NHL Agrees to a deal!!!

RWhitney014 said:
Well, Tampa Bay did win the Cup last last season.

And Florida had a higher average attendance (15,904) than Buffalo, Boston, New Jersey, Washington, NY Islanders, Chicago, and Pittsburgh.

St. Louis was 6th in attendance, Dallas 8th, Los Angeles 11th, Tampa Bay 12th, Florida 17th, San Jose 18th, and Phoenix 19th. All of those teams averaged more than 15,500; the league high (Montreal) was just about 20, the league low (Pittsburgh) was just about 11. So all of those non-traditional markets did fairly well, and all the traditional markets above were in the lower segment.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2004

So is it really traditional markets or is it teams with loyal followings?

HSBC arena holds roughly 18000 seats and the Sabres averaged roughly 15000. Sabres also had a higher % than the Panthers.

How much does the Panther's arena hold? I can't find it anywhere.

The northern teams have die-hard fans, look what happened to Carolina's attendance when the team turned into crap.

FireWrongstedt said:
The hell with those above you. The hardcore hockey fan like myself hates these stupid rule changes, and could really care less if people who never appreciated the greatest sport in the world for what it is before appreciate it now. Most of those people (no offense) wouldn't know the first thing about what hockey's all about anyway. I don't need fans who ***** and moan and want to change every rule in the book watching our great game. Stick to the NBA.

The fact that some people want to see rules changed to eliminate things like the neutral zone crap, err trap doesn't mean they are less of a fan than you. The NHL had become a slow, boring plodding game. It's a product of too many franchises employing too many players who don't belong in the league in the first place. They need to either change the rules or get rid of 5 or 6 teams to ensure only the best players are there and the on ice product is exciting for all fans.

RWhitney014 said:
OK, thanks. I wish the Panthers could cash in on their slim chance to get Crosby. However, 4 teams, including Columbus, Pittsburgh, and the Rangers, have the best shot at winning the lotto.

Imagine if Columbus got it...they'd have Crosby and Nash...all they need are Stills and Young!

I don't trust the league one bit not to fix the lottery so that the Rangers wind up with Crosby. The system they set up I can GUARANTEE you was set up with the express purpose of the Rangers being one of only 3 teams with 3 balls. I REALLY hope I'm wrong, but I don't trust Bettman on this one. The league would love nothing more than to have Crosby playing in NYC. If the Devils somehow won the lottery, I think I'd jump so high, I'd wind up in my upstairs neighbor's living room.

CanadaPhinsFan said:
The fact that some people want to see rules changed to eliminate things like the neutral zone crap, err trap doesn't mean they are less of a fan than you. The NHL had become a slow, boring plodding game. It's a product of too many franchises employing too many players who don't belong in the league in the first place. They need to either change the rules or get rid of 5 or 6 teams to ensure only the best players are there and the on ice product is exciting for all fans.

No, it most likely means they don't know the techincal aspects of the game- the trap to me constitutes sound defensive strategy. It's sound positional hockey. You tend to have a different view of things when you play a sport for a long time- just like a lot of you who played football probably understand the techinal aspects of the game better than me. To you the trap is boring- to me and many others- it's a winning strategy that demomnstrates discipline and attention to detail. DEFENSE wins championships. The trap is bad-mouthed all the time, but it's a system that started in the early '70's when the Canadiens were winning Cup after Cup. It's been around forever. How come everyone just started bashing it after MY team- the Devils won the Cup in '95 using it? How come every team in the league plays (with maybe Vancouver as an exception) some variation of it? Because it WORKS. I know plenty of people that have NO problem with the game or the way it's played. The trap is blamed for everything. I'll tell you what: why doesn't some team or coach find a way to beat it?

And on the rule changes: I'm a purist. I grew up watching and playing hockey the way it's always been played, and I don't like the NHL trying to recruit fringe fans who could care less about the game or it's culture with stupid gimmicks like a shoot-out or bigger nets. It's a JOKE. Even when guys like Bernie Nicholls and Jimmy Carson were scoring 60 goals a year, NO ONE in the Unites States- outside of a few select markets- cared about hockey. Guess what- change the rules all you want- STILL NO ONE in the United States- outside of a few select markets- is going to care. Ignorant American jerk-offs in the main-stream media and moronic basketball fans are still going to poke fun at hockey and not watch it and think they can pontificate on what's wrong with a game they've never watched nor taken the time to understand. NOTHING is going to change. I don't like the tradition and culture of the game that's in my blood and part of my DNA like a Canadian being tampered with. I LOVE the game the way it is. I don't need it being messed up by Bettman and his cronies to please the wishes of the minority of "fringe" hockey fans, of which there are virtually none.

the NHL needs Crosby in a big market like NY...in 94 when the Rangers were winning their cup, the media was all over the NHL.....Only other place i can see crosby being good merketing wise is Pittsburgh where he can play with Mario

FireWrongstedt said:
No, it most likely means they don't know the techincal aspects of the game- the trap to me constitutes sound defensive strategy. It's sound positional hockey. You tend to have a different view of things when you play a sport for a long time- just like a lot of you who played football probably understand the techinal aspects of the game better than me. To you the trap is boring- to me and many others- it's a winning strategy that demomnstrates discipline and attention to detail. DEFENSE wins championships. The trap is bad-mouthed all the time, but it's a system that started in the early '70's when the Canadiens were winning Cup after Cup. It's been around forever. How come everyone just started bashing it after MY team- the Devils won the Cup in '95 using it? How come every team in the league plays (with maybe Vancouver as an exception) some variation of it? Because it WORKS. I know plenty of people that have NO problem with the game or the way it's played. The trap is blamed for everything. I'll tell you what: why doesn't some team or coach find a way to beat it?

And on the rule changes: I'm a purist. I grew up watching and playing hockey the way it's always been played, and I don't like the NHL trying to recruit fringe fans who could care less about the game or it's culture with stupid gimmicks like a shoot-out or bigger nets. It's a JOKE. Even when guys like Bernie Nicholls and Jimmy Carson were scoring 60 goals a year, NO ONE in the Unites States- outside of a few select markets- cared about hockey. Guess what- change the rules all you want- STILL NO ONE in the United States- outside of a few select markets- is going to care. Ignorant American jerk-offs in the main-stream media and moronic basketball fans are still going to poke fun at hockey and not watch it and think they can pontificate on what's wrong with a game they've never watched nor taken the time to understand. NOTHING is going to change. I don't like the tradition and culture of the game that's in my blood and part of my DNA like a Canadian being tampered with. I LOVE the game the way it is. I don't need it being messed up by Bettman and his cronies to please the wishes of the minority of "fringe" hockey fans, of which there are virtually none.

its not like its the first time they are changing things in 80+ years...there have been rule changes in every era...the game has to evolve

Slappy8800 said:
the NHL needs Crosby in a big market like NY...in 94 when the Rangers were winning their cup, the media was all over the NHL.....Only other place i can see crosby being good merketing wise is Pittsburgh where he can play with Mario

Pittsburgh is a joke. Mario should move that team back up to Canada.

Crisis said:
HSBC arena holds roughly 18000 seats and the Sabres averaged roughly 15000. Sabres also had a higher % than the Panthers.

How much does the Panther's arena hold? I can't find it anywhere.

The northern teams have die-hard fans, look what happened to Carolina's attendance when the team turned into crap.

Well, Buffalo filled 80.6% of HSBC last season. Florida filled 82.6% of the ODC.

Hockey beats the NBA...Go Aves and Go Flyers!!!!

Slappy8800 said:
its not like its the first time they are changing things in 80+ years...there have been rule changes in every era...the game has to evolve

I realize that. But things like shoot-outs and bigger nets don't help the game evolve. Those ideas are too gimmiky. I don't want to see all Gretzky's records thrown into upheavel because they want to make the nets bigger to attract casual fans. And the shoot-out isn't taking place in the context of the GAME itself- it's a shooter against a goaltender- that's fine for a penalty shot, which is awarded in the context of the game- but not to decide the outcome of a game on it's own. One good thing I just read is that the NHL is moving to an unbalanced schedule. Teams will play the 4 teams in their divisions 8 times each, other teams in their conference 4 times each, and will play home-and-homes with one division from the opposite conference. THAT'S a great idea. It promotes rivalries- I LOVE the fact that the Devils will be playing the Rangers and Flyers 16 times. I detest those two teams with the power of 10,000,000 suns, and I'll probably detest them more (if that's even possible) having the Devils face them 2 more times each.

dude...where in jersey are you? we have to catch a devils game sometime!...even tho im a rangers fan ill watch ANY hockey

Slappy8800 said:
dude...where in jersey are you? we have to catch a devils game sometime!...even tho im a rangers fan ill watch ANY hockey

I'm in Budd Lake. That would be cool man. We can even try to catch a Devils-Rangers game, since they'll be playing each other an extra two times this year. :D

Back
Top Bottom