no 1st rd for wally? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

no 1st rd for wally?

Originally posted by finfan54

I disagree to some extent. if madison and some others would restructure for the good of the team, then signing Ogun would be awesome. I would only let Ogun go if a team outside our division wanted him and would give up a first and a 3rd. Make no bones about it, having Ogun is huge for us against pass happy teams in our division. I dont understand the rhetoric of just giving him away without any consideration of what you would be doing. You can get good OL 3rd round on if you look hard enough and draft well which is what the dolphins are going to do.
YOU DO NOT WNAT TO GIVE OGUN TO BUFFALO , JETS, OR NE. THAT WOULD BE SUCICIDE.

I agree, I have stated this in other posts when another poster said we would get screwed by NE because they have a need for a DE. I don't want to see O-Gun either go elsewhere and for that matter to a rival in the AFC east so that he sacks our new qb twice per meeting.

I would like to see Madison restructure and a few others as well - Mare, Taylor & Zach to mention a few. If these guys would like to win as much as they say then lets restructure, give them some form of signing bonus or incentive packages and get more quality players on offense to get us to where we want to go!! A dream but a thought none the less.

Sure we need offense but I disagree with the notion that we should just give up OGUN because we are desperate?
That is not the case here.

With a few cuts and restructuring, I believe Miami can KEEP OGUN and still upgrade the QB and O-line positions.
He damn sure is worth keeping. Otherwise you will see JT get triple teamed and no pressure from the defensive line.
That kills teams and kicks in the door for a finish below .500.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
We would get a first and third if we tender him at the appropriate level but I personally think that if we really want to dangle him out there for bait, we will tender him at just a first round pick. I don't think any team will pay a first and third, and few would pay a first.

Remember the draft pick they give up comes on TOP of the salary cap space they have to give up for the player. The player has to be special to give up a first as well as the salary cap space...the only guys I can think of in recent memory are Laveraneous Coles and Curtis Martin...and one of them I'm sure is Hall of Fame bound, the other might well be as well by the time he's through.

But if we do tender him for a 1 and 3, we may possibly have a better chance of keeping him while payiing him something like 900k or whatever the tender actually is. THEN, if he's on another tear next yr, then we'll know it's likely not a fluke yr he just had and can extend him midway thru the season. if not, then he will be more valuable to eveyone and the F tag will bring 2 #1s if we decide not to match any offers. Even so, it's advantage Dolphins right now.

I would tender him for a first & thrid.

1) If the trade does not happen the Phins will get back a young stud at a good price.

2) If someone does take it with a late 1st rounder (26-32). The Phins might not be able to get back the same amount of talent with that pick. But having the thrid would allow the Phins to have another crack at landing a young stud.

3) If no team takes him resign him to a long term deal the next season. The style of D that the Phins play requires pressure from the DE on every play. The CB's are pressed in man-to-man. The pressure from the DE's are what gives Sam & Pat the chance to showcase their talents. When the pats scored in overtime for the win. There was no pressure and Every DB was burned after about the 4th second...lol... Miami has to replace the man if he leaves!

As far as only getting a 1st for him. No thanks unless it is a 11th-19th pick. He is going to be a very good player in the league. NEVER let talent go unless you can replace it. The draft is a crap shoot most of the time. So only getting a 1st might seem a little short to me.

Originally posted by DeDolfan

But if we do tender him for a 1 and 3, we may possibly have a better chance of keeping him while payiing him something like 900k or whatever the tender actually is. THEN, if he's on another tear next yr, then we'll know it's likely not a fluke yr he just had and can extend him midway thru the season. if not, then he will be more valuable to eveyone and the F tag will bring 2 #1s if we decide not to match any offers. Even so, it's advantage Dolphins right now.

Can you F tag him in any year of the contract and get picks for them???? I thought the only way another team can go after your players are VIA UFA, RFA-F TAG.

Originally posted by Aqua
For all you guys with a blind love of Jason Taylor don't call me ignorant because I chose to dislike your idol. And my dislike for him has nothing to do with his whining and blaming us fans for having too high of expectations but in that he's an overrated DE.

All anybody talks about at DE is sacks. I ask you to go back and review film from every single game from this year and compare them to 2002 solely watching Jason Taylor. I do have them all on tape and I'm also a season ticket holder.

Watch how many times Taylor is single covered. Watch how many times Taylor in a frenzy runs upfield on non-passing downs only to have a running play go right through the contain he just broke, many times with Seau out of position getting jammed at the line.

Taylor is a decent player don't get me wrong but he is not near the best DE in the league and he's certainly not worth an $8M cap number. Give me Wally for about $3M and a rotation of D Bowens and Jay Williams for another $3M

And to the smart guy trying to talk about the cap, any player with a signing bonus who is cut counts as dead money. Also if you want to ask Clump anything about the Miami cap ask him where he got and cross-referenced all his numbers from. You just might find my name mentioned as his main source.

Our three biggest cap issues after we cut Fiedler Griese and the horrible OL and WR's are Sam 'Toast' Madison and Jason 'Overrun No Contain" Taylor. Scoff all you want but the cap numbers don't equal production.

Taylor makes a lot of money but he isn't going anywhere. You can hate on him all you want, but he is an excellent pass rusher who never gives up on a play. He will chase down players after they cross the line of scrimmage, something a lot of DEs don't do. He is definitely one of the best players on the team.

ll go one step further and say that there probably arent 5 DEs in the whole league that i would take before him

Originally posted by dreadlockera

Can you F tag him in any year of the contract and get picks for them???? I thought the only way another team can go after your players are VIA UFA, RFA-F TAG.

We could tag him as a RFA if we wanted to but that wouldn't be too smart, IMO, for reasons I stated already with the RFA tender. Plus we'd have to pay him the top 5 avg salary next yr, approx a 5+ mil increase. Too much, IMO, on a "one yr wonder". Generally, you won't see too many franchise players signed away simply because of the 2 #1s you give up along with an enormous salary. That's why players get pissed when they're Tagged like that. Either way, i think the picks are good compensation either this yr with the RFA tender of as a franchised player next yr.

Originally posted by Aqua
I can't understand how anybody would give up Wally for a first round pick, especially one in 20's. He's so much more valuable than the potential of a first round pick.

He's a Pro Bowler and coming off a fantastic year and IMO will only get better and better. He was slated to be a first round pick before he blew out his knee as a senior in college and since regaining his health has become a monster DE.

I think Wally will get a first and third round tender and sign that offer then get a long-term deal before the '05 season. We'll more than make up for his pay increase when we cut Madison this year and the biggest overrated player Jason Taylor after next year.

I'll take Wally over a #1 and I'd take Wally over Taylor.

Wally over Jason Taylor??? Ummm. No. No, man, no! Taylor without Ogunleye? Good (Think Armstrong, Mixon, etc.). Ogunleye without Taylor? Huge question mark...

The guy is good because of Taylor. Not the other way around.

Originally posted by eltos_lightfoot

Wally over Jason Taylor??? Ummm. No. No, man, no! Taylor without Ogunleye? Good (Think Armstrong, Mixon, etc.). Ogunleye without Taylor? Huge question mark...

The guy is good because of Taylor. Not the other way around.

Shhhhh, don't tell the other teams around the league that. ;)

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom