no 1st rd for wally? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

no 1st rd for wally?

after the Skins miserable performance post-RFA binge in 2003 OGun, Greenwood, Minor and Sage m/safe to stay here if we offer them the solid amts; in particular it is more than likely OGun will be here in 2004 if we offer him at the max level

Originally posted by dolphan39
after the Skins miserable performance post-RFA binge in 2003 OGun, Greenwood, Minor and Sage m/safe to stay here if we offer them the solid amts; in particular it is more than likely OGun will be here in 2004 if we offer him at the max level

Problem is that in order for us to get better offensively we need to have the money to spend on F/A's. We can't afford to spend it on the defense either.
Contracts need to be restructured, and dead wood needs to be sent a floating (O-Gun is not apart of the dead wood pile).

My friend from Cincy is tell me that they are going to go hard after him to team him up with justin smith at least thats what they are saying on sports radio so you know how much you can trust that

Originally posted by canesandphins1
My friend from Cincy is tell me that they are going to go hard after him to team him up with justin smith at least thats what they are saying on sports radio so you know how much you can trust that

Sure the year they decide not suck.

Why wouldn't a team be willing to give up a first round pick for a sure fire pass rusher?

The draft is a gamble no matter who you pick, but getting a young guy like Wally, who is a guarenteed stud at DE is a no brainer in my opinion.

He is young enough to have several good years left, and he has been healthy since his major injury.

Teams in need of a D.E. will make offers, trust me on this one.

Originally posted by Sal Lisitano
The Pats on the other hand do have two first round picks...

if the pats did make a bid for O-gun...which one of their first rounders would we have if we did not match the offer??? I'm guessing their own 1st round pick which will be a late first round pick...they will try to screw us...just watch.

they have a pretty nice 1st round pick from the Saints I believe!!! i'd rather have that one for sure.

and give Ogun to the pats? thats suicide. sorry.

I can't understand how anybody would give up Wally for a first round pick, especially one in 20's. He's so much more valuable than the potential of a first round pick.

He's a Pro Bowler and coming off a fantastic year and IMO will only get better and better. He was slated to be a first round pick before he blew out his knee as a senior in college and since regaining his health has become a monster DE.

I think Wally will get a first and third round tender and sign that offer then get a long-term deal before the '05 season. We'll more than make up for his pay increase when we cut Madison this year and the biggest overrated player Jason Taylor after next year.

I'll take Wally over a #1 and I'd take Wally over Taylor.

i also have heard cincy because they are definitely going to draft defense, but that is a crapshoot, and they cant get a top DE in the draft with where they pick, so theyd be forced to take a cornerback, but marvin lewis has made it known he wants a defensive end opposite smith, so if he cant sign one of the other FA's i would not be at all surprised to see ogun there, and damn will the bengals be a force for a long time... Kitna/palmer, rudi johnson, warrick/washington/johnson, oline isnt bad at all.. justin smith/ogun on the ends would be a nice start, more d in the draft and free agency and you have a young talented team there
anyway, that was off topic...

cincy and bills are both viable options, you can pretty much discount the texans i think because if they went after him they wouldnt have a pick on day one of the draft. Bears maybe... a whole lot left to be decided, teams need GMS, coaches, coordinators, it will be interesting. Of course, i wouldnt be surprised if we got a pick worse off than our 20 pick for him too since some of these teams in the playoffs could use help on the dline (eagles have been dealing with injuries all year and forced to play some backups, plus they did lose hugh douglas and were willing to give a 1 for gbaja biamila last year)

remember it is a double-whammy for whomever goes after OGun: they need to give up likely a 1st and 3rd rd pick AND they need to sign him for enough money that he wants to sign and we do not want to match it

i know, definitely not a lock... but some teams have done stranger things in the past, and hes a guaranteed young talent, that is extremely tough to find.

I think we should let him walk...

we need to build this team...and two No.1s and two 3s (which is what we would have total after he walks) give us the ammunition to get a good start.

I for one would like to see what Ogunleye does without Jason Taylor on the opposite side. I don't care who he goes to (and I am not going to worry about the Patriots at this point)...they are going to pay him a huge salary...which we simply can't afford with the other needs on this team.

Everybody wants the franchise quarterback, well lets get the ammunition to make a run at one.

agreed, the picks give us options, paying ogun would limit us for several years...as much as i like the guy, and will root for him assuming he goes out of the afc east, im hoping someone bites and we get the picks.

I'd like to remind people that Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila of GB was restricted last year at the 1st round tender and Philly almost signed him away forcing the Packers to give him a $13 million bonus for a guy who doesn't play on run downs.

Tender him at a 1st rounder and say goodbye. Tender him at a 1st and 3rd and he's ours for the year.

Originally posted by Aqua
I can't understand how anybody would give up Wally for a first round pick, especially one in 20's. He's so much more valuable than the potential of a first round pick.

He's a Pro Bowler and coming off a fantastic year and IMO will only get better and better. He was slated to be a first round pick before he blew out his knee as a senior in college and since regaining his health has become a monster DE.

I think Wally will get a first and third round tender and sign that offer then get a long-term deal before the '05 season. We'll more than make up for his pay increase when we cut Madison this year and the biggest overrated player Jason Taylor after next year.

I'll take Wally over a #1 and I'd take Wally over Taylor.

Okay that's great...then we're in cap hell beause of another big money contract on defense. We need offense, and signing Ogun to a JT contract isn't going to allow us to do that. It's a harsh reality.

Madison will carry dead cap if cut (ask clump ;) )
JT is overrated? :confused: right...:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
how can you take a post seriously when the person labels taylor as overrated... the guy is amazing, im the only fin fan in my group of football watchers that i hang out with every weekend and they all drool over JT and wish they had him... none of their DEs can run that fast and play the run/pass/screen pass and even cover when called upon, he offers so many options for us and does an absolutely amazing job, im not sure you could find 5 people involved in the national football league in any capacity that would say JT is overrated (outside of our AFC east counterparts, and that may be a stretch also)

Back
Top Bottom