Norv kinda sounds like Chan | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Norv kinda sounds like Chan

JeffJewell

Starter
Reaction score
Will Turner be better than Gailey?

Just wanted to get some opinions on Norv Turner's likely future performance.

A couple years ago, I was skipping around my house over the news than Kippy Brown had been handed his papers and Chan Gailey was coming in. I don't know about anyone else, but I was extremely disappointed with Gailey's game planning and play calling, overall. I suppose there's only so much you can bitch about an 11 win season, but I did not feel that Gailey elevated our offense to the extent I expected.

Now, I'm equally happy that Chan's in the can and Norv's coming in.

What do you think the chances are that Turner won't take this offense to the next level, either?

Jeff

PS: about the best thing I can think of to say about Chan is that, during his tenure, we did consistently beat the teams we were "supposed" to beat. As was mentioned in another thread, though, that makes a "good" team, not a "great" team. After thinking about the question above, I also wonder if Turner isn't entering a situation where failing to become "great" in the short term is going to be defined as failing, period?

Gailey had "good" talent not "great" talent. Norv already has a head start with Ricky Williams as a back, and a second year Chris Chambers.

Our offense will be top ten as long as we don't have any significant injuries.

Norv is certainly similar to Chan in his run philosophy, but he should get more positons involved in the passing which should help Jay a lot. As '87 said, Chan did not have Ricky, so it may be an unfair comparison.

I think Turner is better than Gailey...

Like Dolphan39 said, "Chan did not have Ricky, so it may be an unfair comparison."

But, with Turner's past sucesses with offenses like Washington, Dallas and San Diego! (yes, San Diego). They all finished in the top ten during his tenure. I'm more focused on what he did with the latter (yes, San Diego!). That team didn't have the talent we have on offense, so I expect great things to come with Turner calling the plays.

I'm just worried that Turner will be so good at his job that he will be snatched away from us next year for a head coaching job somewhere and then we will have to deal with Mike Shula :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Gailey is nothing more than Turner light!
Less filling and doesn't taste as great....

FinaticalOne...

I'm more focused on what he did with the latter (yes, San Diego!)
...this was actually the kind of information I was hoping to see... some evidence of coaching that wins battles.

I know we have a strong team of players, and it appears to be getting stronger, this off-season. But good coaches with less marquee talent have beaten our strong teams in the past. I have nightmares about Weis taking us apart on a fairly regular basis. I have seen that coaching can make the difference between a good team and a great one.

I'm glad we've acquired and developed superior firepower for Norv than that which Chan had access to. But I really would like to be able to walk away from some games this year thinking "Norv really totalled that defense," the same way I've grudgingly had to think it about Weis in the past.

When I get a chance, I think I might go look at San Diego's offensive stats last year. See if any of the big results appeared to come against quality teams.

Jeff

Gailey's playcalling sucked and Norv always runs successful offenses. He even made Brad Johnson look good, and Norv might make Jay Fiedler look good. :eek:

BJ is about to get canned in Tampa. Gruden brought in Rob Johnson and is really hyping up Shaun King (who is a better fit for the offense IMO). Gruden also convinced 3rd (now 4th) stringer Joe Hamilton to stay put and learn the offense this summer instead of playing in NFL Europe.

Might not be this summer. Might not be this year. But you can bet that BJ's days in Tampa are just about numbered.

Funny how all our local "experts" on various boards thought that we should shell out big $$$ for BJ and Grbac. One year later, Grbac is retired, BJ's job is in serious doubt, and Jay Fiedler gets a contract extension.

Things that make you go "Hmm...."

Turner is an is a bona-fied offensive genious as evidenced by virtually every team he's coached. I read today (I can't remember where) that minus one season as a college coach in Washington where he was forced to rotate backs, as well as the two years he had Terry Allen on his last legs, his backs have AVERAGED over 1400 yards.

Chan was and can be very good. Turner can be great. That's the difference.

BTW, what was JJ thinking when he promoted Kippy to O-coordinator? Mediocre running game equaled promotion for Kippy...hmmmmm. Oh well, at least he has his XFL championship ring.:eek::lol:

Turner's pass offense relies on the skinny post and TE safety releases. Jay must hit his wr's in stride for your pass-O to be effective.

I think our running game will be very good this year for many reasons. I think Ricky will get 1,300 yards, with Robert Edawrds and Travis Minor getting some too. He likes to pound it but also to pass as well, which is good. I think he will get Ricky 20-25 carries a game, Edawrds 5 a game, and Minor on third down situations. This is going to be a great season.

FINALLY!!!!

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
I think our running game will be very good this year for many reasons. I think Ricky will get 1,300 yards, with Robert Edawrds and Travis Minor getting some too. He likes to pound it but also to pass as well, which is good. I think he will get Ricky 20-25 carries a game, Edawrds 5 a game, and Minor on third down situations. This is going to be a great season.

Finally, a positive post by ice.:cool: I think somone had a wholesome breakfast this morning...haaa!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Norv is the best guy for the job

Norv is the best guy for the job...no doubt in my mind.
how could you not want a guy controlling one department (offensive c.) of your footballl team that is used to handling much more (head coach)? This way he can concentrate on much less and make our offense better. Norv likes the style of offense that the dolphins have been needing for a looongg time. And now we finally have the right tools. If we work on our offensive line a bit more, we will find that mr. Turner will mold our offense into possibly one of the best in the league like play dough.:p

Back
Top Bottom