Norv Turner | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Norv Turner

IAFINFAN

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I see a lot of post on Wanny being fired and the poor decisions on game planning the Fins, but isn't Norv calling the shots on offense. I still can't believe Ricky had only 17 carries last week. Anyone think maybe they had Fiedler throwing over 30 times to show Miami is going to come out throwing more, and then it back fired once Houston started making big plays and wouldn't go away.

Ricky needs to touch the ball atleast 25 times in order to help us win.

Bates as Defensive Cord. is a joke. Can't figure this guy out at all. I think the defensive stars were waiting for someone to make a big play to save them and no body did. Madison missed the pick but that was it. Really hope to see the real fins this weekend to see the changes in agressiveness or else this will be a long season.

You make a good point. This entire offseason we've been led to believe that Norv was given absolute control over the offense. Of course, the HC always has the last call if needbe. But Wanny supposedly was going to stay out of the way and focus on defense.

You gotta think that still applies here.

I agree. Nobody ever gives any of the blame to Turner who is calling all of the offenses plays anyway. I know Wanny can override the plays but we should be criticizing Norv also for calling them in the first place. Essentially the INT vs Houston was his call.

Actually I thought Norv did a good job of play calling. Norv realized that the line was performing horribly on inside running plays. So Norv switched things up and started to go outside. The best run of the day was a 17 yard carry by Ricky on a play where he got a quick pitch to his left when the defense was convinced the play was going up the middle.
As for Ricky having only 17 rushes, there were 2 factors. One was that he did catch six balls, therefore he dud get the ball 23 times. The second was that we hardly had the ball at all in the 4th quarter. I believe after Rickey scored on the screen pass with quite a bit of time remaining, the offense only ran 5 plays the rest of the game, and 3 of them were in the desperstion last 20 seconds mode.

It seems Norv mostly uses Ricky in the first three quarters but if the last quarter has the game close they start passing to try and put the final nail in. That always seems to bite them in the a**!

As for the defense; whenever we're in the 4th quarter and the game is close Bates always seems to run that prevent defense which gives the offense all the underneath stuff. Why not stay with the defense that worked pretty well for most of the game?

I go to another forum where there's alot of Redskin fans and they warned me of what to expect from Norv. They said their main complaint with his play-calling was that he'd call pass plays late in the game when the situation seemed to call for the run instead. Looks like they were right, judging from the last 2 regular season games.

Originally posted by relive1972
I go to another forum where there's alot of Redskin fans and they warned me of what to expect from Norv. They said their main complaint with his play-calling was that he'd call pass plays late in the game when the situation seemed to call for the run instead. Looks like they were right, judging from the last 2 regular season games.

I think Norv and Dave need to use Ricky as a weapon to attack defenses not simply to just keep offenses off the field. We may no have an attack passing game but our running game can certainly attack opposing teams. Maybe this last game that I really don't want to mention will slap Norv and Dave in the face as well.

Let's steamroll the Jets!
:apc:

LETS FORGET ABOUT THE TEXANS

AND JUST TAKE CARE OF THE JETS....

THIS IS A BIG GAME...........

NO ONE WANTS 0 AND 2.....

NEVER IN MIAMI!!

Norv hasn't shown me much against a 3-4, yet.

The counter seems to work well against the 4-3, but I only saw it a couple of times Sunday.

Honestly, I don't care who's to blame. I blame them both if things go wrong and I'll give them both credit if things go right. Get things fixed and we won't have any problems.

Hey, all.

Been a Norv watcher since his arrival in Washington way back when. He's still a sore subject in these parts ... for the reasons stated here and more. Hell, there's a thread going on my home board today about him that reflects the sentiments about him quite clearly.

Nice guy.

Lousy head coach.

Frustrating (some believe highly overrated) offensive play-caller who can be brilliant in stretches, then frustrating beyond belief in others. At least in our experience, sadly, those frustrating stretches always seemed to come in the most important moments of the biggest games.

Not here to poke a finger in your eyes. Truth. Just a Skins fan who's also a bit of a Phins fan ... with Norv in common, AND a head-to-head coming later this season.

Folks here like to talk football with the opposition?

Question the play calling all you want. The fact is that if the players execute out there, Norv is being slapped on the back and reminded what a genius he is this week.

One of the keys against the Jets this week is to get Ricky going EARLY. That opens up so many possibilities for the offense. If execution is good this Sunday, there won't be a problem.

PS, I am intrigued to see how the offensive line plays, and what, it any changes are made over the next few weeks.

Well, that wasn't dismissive or anything. Thanks. I'll endeavor to return the respect.

In case anyone else is interested, here's a taste of the view from the outside:

Opinions on Norv Turner

Originally posted by -Om-
Well, that wasn't dismissive or anything. Thanks. I'll endeavor to return the respect.

In case anyone else is interested, here's a taste of the view from the outside:

Opinions on Norv Turner

I apologise if my post seemed rude, that wasn't my intention.

No worries, then, bro.

I know folks tend to cast a wary eye on newbies from other teams, and deservedly so. I know we do up our way. Helluva lot of them aren't looking to talk ball, they're looking to stir things up. I'm not that guy.

For what it's worth. :)

Back
Top Bottom