Coach Norv Turner

• Keep him

Votes: 63 82.9%
  • Fire him

Votes: 13 17.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Originally posted by iceblizzard69
I don't think Norv did a great job this year at all, but I wouldn't fire him. I think he was forced to not use his whole playbook.
I agree ! It is confounding that we can play as well as we did on O ag SD, Dallas, the Eagles and the Jets in Mia and play as poorly as we did ag everyone else :confused:

I do believe Norv needs to update his playbook a little to add more short passing if we get a decent #2 WR, some pass protection and a QB who effective throwing deep. The minute we get both Ss playing deep, we need to throw lots underneath and especially get a 3rd outlet back - Ricky - the ball when no one is open like Dan used to w/Nathan and Jensen with regularity for 1st downs

Turner did a crappy job. I don't buy the argument about he couldn't open up the playbook. Why was he able to do it against Washington, and look what happened when he did.

Originally posted by fairbanksb
Turner did a crappy job. I don't buy the argument about he couldn't open up the playbook. Why was he able to do it against Washington, and look what happened when he did.
generally, he seemed to do it against weak Ds, with the exception of Dallas where he just decided to abuse Mario Edwards as long as D kept bringin Roy Wills up

Originally posted by BSQX4
Do we want to 1) Keep him 2) Fire him

can't really blame him for dumbing down the playbook. he had to match up with what he had. If he picked the O players, different then.

I really cant decide. I think he is WAY too conservative! But the question is... was that because of Dave's decisions? There were some games we werent so conservative but most of the time we were! I say give him anohter year but i want to see MUCH improvement.

I guess being saddled with the erratic Fiedler hurt Norv overall but like Dave is so fond of saying you can't just blame the Quarterback. I think you can blame the Q.B. for at least 3 or 4 losses this year, maybe more. Granted, the O-Line was pretty weak and Derrius was a bust but still the Q.B. play sucked. A better Q.B. would have got us into the Playoffs, no question about it. Jays' inconsistant play has killed us too many times to allow him to continue as our starter. If Dan does one thing I hope it's to take care of this glaring weakness. Brunell looks good on paper, not sure what he has left, and maybe a fresh start helps him to rediscover his passion and confidance. It's vital to get a great young Q.B. in here for Brunell to groom. My first choice is Manning but there are other winners such as Rivers. If Brunell is the guy his blind side is protected by RIGHT tackle because he is a lefty so keeping Todd Wade may become very important. Is Dixon trying to come back? Hopefully someone can let me know. If not we need to put 25 pound of muscle on Wade Smith and start him at LT. I wish McKinney impressed me more but so far I don't see greatness. I see a good player but I don't see dominant Pro Bowl type guy. I would like nothing more than to be proven wrong this year. I think we need a couple of new guards in here, huge, nasty run blockers for Rickey to run behind. I guess the answer on Norv is get him a major upgrade in talent and see what he does with it. Nuff said.

McKinney doesn't have the potential to be that. He never did he was drafted as a smart good center that could take over for Ruddy. Norv's best lines did not have dominant centerss. Just solid ones.

Originally posted by BSQX4
I guess being saddled with the erratic Fiedler hurt Norv overall but like Dave is so fond of saying you can't just blame the Quarterback. I think you can blame the Q.B. for at least 3 or 4 losses this year, maybe more. Granted, the O-Line was pretty weak and Derrius was a bust but still the Q.B. play sucked. A better Q.B. would have got us into the Playoffs, no question about it. Jays' inconsistant play has killed us too many times to allow him to continue as our starter. If Dan does one thing I hope it's to take care of this glaring weakness. Brunell looks good on paper, not sure what he has left, and maybe a fresh start helps him to rediscover his passion and confidance. It's vital to get a great young Q.B. in here for Brunell to groom. My first choice is Manning but there are other winners such as Rivers. If Brunell is the guy his blind side is protected by RIGHT tackle because he is a lefty so keeping Todd Wade may become very important. Is Dixon trying to come back? Hopefully someone can let me know. If not we need to put 25 pound of muscle on Wade Smith and start him at LT. I wish McKinney impressed me more but so far I don't see greatness. I see a good player but I don't see dominant Pro Bowl type guy. I would like nothing more than to be proven wrong this year. I think we need a couple of new guards in here, huge, nasty run blockers for Rickey to run behind. I guess the answer on Norv is get him a major upgrade in talent and see what he does with it. Nuff said.
the defense as a whole can be blamed for 2 or 3 losses!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by dolfan06
the defense as a whole can be blamed for 2 or 3 losses!:rolleyes:

This is very true. i made mention before that when we can score 21 pts or more, with our D, we should be able to win almost every one and if over 23 should win all. But we scored 21 or better 8 times this year and lost only one of those thanks to the total meltdown of the D. And considering the farce in Tenn, they directly cost us 2 games. some may say that the O didn't do it's job, true, but the d let it get away before the o really even had a chance. Anyway, the big problem i see on this team is basically on O. Reason is that even tho we scored 21 pts or more, 8 times, it ain't enough. We averaged only 19.4 but gave up only 16.3, avg per gm. Doesn't sound too terribly bad until we look at the bigger and better picture.
The 8 division winners averaged 25.5 ppg [6.1 better than us] scoring and 19.4 points allowed [3.1 worse than us]. That tells me that our D is basically OK since they allow alot less than the div winners do. So our O is the biggest problem. If you consider our points allowed and if we scored and average of 6.8 points per gm more, that would put us scoring an avg or 23.1 per gm which puts us up in th area of what I had mentioned earlier. If we had scored those 6.8 extra points per game, we would have won at least 3 more games, one of which against NE along with indy and of course houston. Had we scored the 25= point avg of the div winners, we still beat Phil and a much better chance up at NE. But either way, we win the division, by tie breakers against NE. Alot of times, i find it truly amazing that we can score as many points as we do, but that little extra push to get us closer to the div winners would go a very long in the right direction. Funny thing is, our D was actually better in 02 and if a dumb *** like myself can figure this stuff out, why can't the FO. Now if we don't do some serious upgrading this off season on O, i will literally scream so loud that it will shake the windows in Huizenga's office from way up hear. I am just so sick and tried of all this inept bull****! Enough already. now, back to the thong thread where things are more '
serene" !!
:lol:

Originally posted by DeDolfan

This is very true. i made mention before that when we can score 21 pts or more, with our D, we should be able to win almost every one and if over 23 should win all. But we scored 21 or better 8 times this year and lost only one of those thanks to the total meltdown of the D. And considering the farce in Tenn, they directly cost us 2 games. some may say that the O didn't do it's job, true, but the d let it get away before the o really even had a chance. Anyway, the big problem i see on this team is basically on O. Reason is that even tho we scored 21 pts or more, 8 times, it ain't enough. We averaged only 19.4 but gave up only 16.3, avg per gm. Doesn't sound too terribly bad until we look at the bigger and better picture.
The 8 division winners averaged 25.5 ppg [6.1 better than us] scoring and 19.4 points allowed [3.1 worse than us]. That tells me that our D is basically OK since they allow alot less than the div winners do. So our O is the biggest problem. If you consider our points allowed and if we scored and average of 6.8 points per gm more, that would put us scoring an avg or 23.1 per gm which puts us up in th area of what I had mentioned earlier. If we had scored those 6.8 extra points per game, we would have won at least 3 more games, one of which against NE along with indy and of course houston. Had we scored the 25= point avg of the div winners, we still beat Phil and a much better chance up at NE. But either way, we win the division, by tie breakers against NE. Alot of times, i find it truly amazing that we can score as many points as we do, but that little extra push to get us closer to the div winners would go a very long in the right direction. Funny thing is, our D was actually better in 02 and if a dumb *** like myself can figure this stuff out, why can't the FO. Now if we don't do some serious upgrading this off season on O, i will literally scream so loud that it will shake the windows in Huizenga's office from way up hear. I am just so sick and tried of all this inept bull****! Enough already. now, back to the thong thread where things are more '
serene" !!
:lol:
you can jump start the defense by getting rid of bates!:yell:

As most have already responded,,, keep him ..

N Turner is one of the top 5 O-C in the league and if the offensive line and wr core would have played consistently,, Turner could have opened up the playbook !!

:D

Marino1983

Originally posted by Marino1983
As most have already responded,,, keep him ..

N Turner is one of the top 5 O-C in the league and if the offensive line and wr core would have played consistently,, Turner could have opened up the playbook !!

:D

Marino1983
norv is only handicapped by what he has to work with, but when you have players on defense like the fins, you score 21 and you should win. at times, the defense just didn't get it done and i blame the defensive coordinater. sometimes the players are ony going thru the motions and nothing more!:(

Originally posted by dolfan06
norv is only handicapped by what he has to work with, but when you have players on defense like the fins, you score 21 and you should win. at times, the defense just didn't get it done and i blame the defensive coordinater. sometimes the players are ony going thru the motions and nothing more!:(

True and that is why our O desperatley needs some solid upgrading. One can't expect the D to come out playing lighta out every game and when that happens, the O should be able to save the day once in awhile. The Skins game was one of those but I think that had as much to do with them not prparing for the possiblitly of Fiedler coming in. Then you have the Tenn game where they both blew chunks. That's gonna happen on occassion alos. That's why there hasn't been an undefeated team in 30 yrs. Thing is, when you have a sucky game, hopefully you learn from it and Wanny hasn't done a very good job in that dept either.

Back
Top Bottom