Nostalgia: What if Jimmy stayed? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nostalgia: What if Jimmy stayed?

our D would be ok, but our offense would still be terrible. In his time in Miami, JJ proved that he was useless when it came to trying to acquire offensive talent. Wannstedt was a lousy coach for sure. But, in fairness, JJ left him with a bare cupboard when it came to offense.

PressCoverage said:
I've always held the opinion that Jimmy Johnson left his work undone here mainly because he lost a popularity contest with Marino (both with the media, and with the fans) and didn't handle bad press very well as a result. For once, he didn't have the will to bench THE hero of South Florida, even though Dan was going backwards steadily.

As a huge Jimmy Johnson fan, I really was crushed when he resigned.

I'm sure many of you hate him (just like you give Ricky no slack for quitting), but... complete this sentence:

"If Jimmy Johnson remained coach after Marino's retirement, ... "

We would have gotten a better QB, and maybe some other better players.

I think we would be much better off with Jimmy Johnson still coaching than we were with Wanny taking over. I don't know why anyone would think differently.

By saying that we would be worse off if JJ had stayed... wouldn't that be like saying we were better off with Wanny?? :confused:

Everything happens for a reason, those reasons lead us to the current coaching staff and team we have now. I am happy with that.

I think we may have won a SB had he stayed. I know we would have been in a lot better shape had he stuck around.

Dr. Dolphin 24/7

DBoston80 said:
If Jimmy was still the coach we wouldve won it all in 2002!! I still get sick to my stomach when I think about that season.....Thats the most talented team we have had in a LONG time and we went 9-7!!! Disgusting!! AAAAAAhhhhhhhhhh, didnt make the playoffs!!!! Lost to the Pats on a bunch of crazy BS(seemed like we were meant to lose that game all the bad stuff that happened)..plus that was the "Ray Lucas" year that he personally ruined!!!!!!!!!!!! The Bill's game was pure disgusting!! Thanks ray...may you burn in hell Ray!!!!!!!!!!! :fire: :evil:

..anyway enough fuming, yes If JJ wouldve been the coach with that talent!! Ricky wouldnt be rushing for 230 yds and us still losing!!
Would JJ have traded two number 1 draft picks for Ricky??

Fully recover, you`re kidding right? I love Marino as much as the next guy, but no way could I stand to watch him play another season. The guy was done.

Dan was done when J.J. took away his audibles, you can credit most of those ints on the 10 yard out pattern to Jimmy. EVERYBODY was jumping that pass, and Dan couldn't change the play. How do you tie the hands of the greatest passer of all time, and give the ball to Karim instead? He (JJ) personally ruined Dans last 2 seasons, just for his ego. F@#K Jimmy Johnson!

inFINSible said:
Would JJ have traded two number 1 draft picks for Ricky??

It was a 1st and a 3rd with escalators which Ricky met, so it turned into two 1sts. I believe JJ offered someone in the Edge/Ricky draft basically the same thing Ditka traded up for Ricky to get Edge, but Indy took Edge before the trade was made. I think he may have.

Good at finding mid round talent. Average (at best) game day coach. He relied on his assistants for game planning and strategy.
Given equal talent on the field, I'd take Shula, Bellichick or Parcells.

billdacman said:
Dan was done when J.J. took away his audibles, you can credit most of those ints on the 10 yard out pattern to Jimmy. EVERYBODY was jumping that pass, and Dan couldn't change the play. How do you tie the hands of the greatest passer of all time, and give the ball to Karim instead? He (JJ) personally ruined Dans last 2 seasons, just for his ego. F@#K Jimmy Johnson!
Yeah, and being 38 years old had nothing to do with Marinos poor performance that year. If I remember, Dan had a pretty damn good `98 season statistically, but by `99 he just couldn`t get it done anymore physically.

Quoted for truth. I'll always be angry at the way JJ ruined the last few years of Marino's career. :yell: :fire:

JJ Sucked

drdolphin said:
I think we may have won a SB had he stayed. I know we would have been in a lot better shape had he stuck around.
Dr. Dolphin 24/7

You people are nuts! JJ did a lousy job here. We wouldn't have won anything with him. He inherited a decent team from Shula. Wasted draft picks, improved the defense and significantly weakened our offense. His style of play also tarnished the last three years of Marino's career. I was happy to see him go.

djfresh47 said:
It was a 1st and a 3rd with escalators which Ricky met, so it turned into two 1sts. I believe JJ offered someone in the Edge/Ricky draft basically the same thing Ditka traded up for Ricky to get Edge, but Indy took Edge before the trade was made. I think he may have.
Wow, I sure would like to see that in print somewhere. That's unbelievable. I never thought JJ would be the type to trade away draft picks, especially inlight of what he knew from personal experience with the trading of Herschel Walker.
He saw what that did for both teams, it would amaze me if he tried to turn around and put himself in Minnesota's post-trade shoes.

if he remained our coach we'd be in the same mess as we were last year

Back
Top Bottom