Nostalgia: What if Jimmy stayed? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nostalgia: What if Jimmy stayed?

Whitedolphin54 said:
I only ever want what is best for the team--doesn't bother me that Ricky maybe back or wanny is gone.. JJ was ok but a bit of a bully. Having said that he did seem to get the best out of players
Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs, Marv levy, Mike Holmgren, etc arent/werent bullies? And for those that doubt that Holmgren has more than once threatened the jobs of quality players to outright cut them if they didnt step it up during practices. Players need and crave discipline. Just look at the teams that dont have it; cincy for years didnt have it, the jets for years didnt have it, the bears havent had it since Ditka, the list goes on. Hard@ss coaches who have disciplined and intelligent methods for getting things done are the ones that most often succeed in this league. Its very hard hard to be a Dick Vermeil type coach in a league of grown men paid millions and who have millions more that is there for the taking and get them to put the team first and handle their own responsibility without being tough about it.

PressCoverage said:
I've always held the opinion that Jimmy Johnson left his work undone here mainly because he lost a popularity contest with Marino (both with the media, and with the fans) and didn't handle bad press very well as a result. For once, he didn't have the will to bench THE hero of South Florida, even though Dan was going backwards steadily.

As a huge Jimmy Johnson fan, I really was crushed when he resigned.

I'm sure many of you hate him (just like you give Ricky no slack for quitting), but... complete this sentence:

"If Jimmy Johnson remained coach after Marino's retirement, ... "
I think our qb situation would be in better shape for sure. I think there would have been much less trading of picks through the years. We'd probably never have acquired RW.

Id like to think we'd have won a SB since I too was/am a big JJ fan since his UM days; no one can say for sure though. Certainly I think we would have been a playoff team the last few years and we wouldnt have collapsed late in the year as we did since JJ was known for his tough practices.

The flip of this is that if JJ had stayed on as coach wanny might first be getting the job now and the worst would be yet to come.

Semedi said:
Quoted for truth. I'll always be angry at the way JJ ruined the last few years of Marino's career. :yell: :fire:

i cannot disagree with this more... this is speculation at best, and the kind of "blame-someone-for-my-hero's-demise" mentality that ran Jimmy out of town altogether...

let's not forget... the Miami defense was anywhere from below average to downright embarrassing for 12 years between 1984 to 1995... 12 YEARS!.... i remember each one of those years very vividly...

it was refreshing as can be to finally see Miami play some defense in 1996... and they are STILL a good unit to this day largely because of Jimmy (5 years later!)... you can go on and on about failed picks... but Gardener, Surtain, Madison, Taylor and Zach were not... regardless, let's imagine Yatil Green doesn't rip his knee, let's imagine Cecil Collins (say what you like, he would have been very good) could control his hormones... those are Jimmy's fault?.... perhaps, only because he took the risk....

let's not overlook the injury that ultimately eliminated all mobility with Dan: no, not the achillies'... the final straw was the heel/foot break at Indy in 1996... if you fail to see that *gasp* Dan Marino was not the same quarterback after that game, that's fine... if you wish to give JOhnson absolutely no credit, and suggest he did nothing but lean on his assistants, well ooooooooook, super....

but blaming Jimmy Johnson for "ruining Dan's last two years?"... ummmm.... that's a slight stretch... Father time ruined Dan's last 2-3 years... not Jimmy Johnson...

PressCoverage said:
i cannot disagree with this more... this is speculation at best, and the kind of "blame-someone-for-my-hero's-demise" mentality that ran Jimmy out of town altogether...

let's not forget... the Miami defense was anywhere from below average to downright embarrassing for 12 years between 1984 to 1995... 12 YEARS!.... i remember each one of those years very vividly...

it was refreshing as can be to finally see Miami play some defense in 1996... and they are STILL a good unit to this day largely because of Jimmy (5 years later!)... you can go on and on about failed picks... but Gardener, Surtain, Madison, Taylor and Zach were not... regardless, let's imagine Yatil Green doesn't rip his knee, let's imagine Cecil Collins (say what you like, he would have been very good) could control his hormones... those are Jimmy's fault?.... perhaps, only because he took the risk....

let's not overlook the injury that ultimately eliminated all mobility with Dan: no, not the achillies'... the final straw was the heel/foot break at Indy in 1996... if you fail to see that *gasp* Dan Marino was not the same quarterback after that game, that's fine... if you wish to give JOhnson absolutely no credit, and suggest he did nothing but lean on his assistants, well ooooooooook, super....

but blaming Jimmy Johnson for "ruining Dan's last two years?"... ummmm.... that's a slight stretch... Father time ruined Dan's last 2-3 years... not Jimmy Johnson...
Totally agree. I think of Marino in God like status, clearly above all when you speak of qb's. However, he wasnt the same and if anything JJ did a great job of hiding that dan wasnt the same for those last 2-3 years by going to a more disciplined run based offense.

Would I have liked to see JJ give Marino the power to audible and a little more offensive freedom? Absolutely, but even that is knitpicking imo. Would I have liked to see us make a more concerted effort to go get another WR who could allow Marino to really open up the offense when Yatil flopped and got hurt? Yes sir. And JJ did a tremendous job rebuilding the D on the fly, the only thing he couldnt do was get them to progress fast enough when Marino still had it. Blaming JJ is nothing short of ludicrous.

The only people to blame for Marino not having a few rings is our front office at the time for not knowing how to build a respectable defense.

Sorry PressCoverage but I have to wholeheartadly disagree. I never discredited JJ for building up the defense, he did a very worthy job of that. Obvisouly the defense needed help from the Shula days. But he absolutely destroyed our offense. His insistance on committing to the running game when we had none was his ultimate demise. Taking away Marino's ability to audible was assanine... yet another move to further propagate a running game that we did not have. Was Marino losing a step towards the end of his career? Sure... I'm not going to dispute that. But I still feel he was a great NFL level QB who's stats and playstyle were diminished by JJ's stubbornness.

Well said I agree completely...............JJ is just another quitter(twice) IMHO

Semedi said:
Sorry PressCoverage but I have to wholeheartadly disagree. I never discredited JJ for building up the defense, he did a very worthy job of that. Obvisouly the defense needed help from the Shula days. But he absolutely destroyed our offense. His insistance on committing to the running game when we had none was his ultimate demise. Taking away Marino's ability to audible was assanine... yet another move to further propagate a running game that we did not have. Was Marino losing a step towards the end of his career? Sure... I'm not going to dispute that. But I still feel he was a great NFL level QB who's stats and playstyle were diminished by JJ's stubbornness.

JJ tried to continue with Marino and the offense, but had cut most of the good players in salary cap moves. After the Pats stole our hand signs, he really screwed the pooch by firing Gary Stevens and putting Kippy Brown as OC.

Square peg, meet round hole.

Semedi said:
Was Marino losing a step towards the end of his career? Sure... I'm not going to dispute that. But I still feel he was a great NFL level QB who's stats and playstyle were diminished by JJ's stubbornness.
Maybe, but Dans second to last season (`98) he put up 23 TDs and over 3400 yds.

Jimmy was doing nothing for us. Atleast Wanny would not have been the coach and able to burry us.
I think NE paid JJ to do this to the Fins'

drdolphin said:
I think we may have won a SB had he stayed. I know we would have been in a lot better shape had he stuck around.

Dr. Dolphin 24/7

I beleive this as well, I think Jimmy would have concentrated on the offense and we would have won a SB by now.

finmann said:
I beleive this as well, I think Jimmy would have concentrated on the offense and we would have won a SB by now.

He tried to concentrate on the offense. Drafted Yatil Green, JJ Johnson and John Avery. I don't think anyone can disagree that he did a good job with the D, but JJ was not good at finding offensive talent.

Back
Top Bottom