Now my question is, will Rivers be there at 20? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Now my question is, will Rivers be there at 20?

Originally posted by everardteach

I think your right about how scouts feel about practice vs. game play. But I would still concentrate on picking up Rivers as quick as we can in the draft. If we get an early pick in the draft for the OGUN signing then use that one on Rivers.

That being said, I don't want to hear ONE WORD about Rivers coming out of the organization before the draft ;).

We all (for the most part) want him, hopefully the organization wants him, and hyping him up before the draft will only hurt their chances at being able to land him....its too much to expect honesty to prevail throughout the NFL when $$$ is on the line.

I'm still up for us getting a veteran but I'd feel fine if this guy had to play at some point this coming season.It goes to show you that you can't always go by what you read. I read some negative stuff about him and now that I saw that game I can have a better opinion as to what he can do. I really don't think that he'll be there at 20 now so if we get that pick for Ogun I'd use it on Rivers if is an earlier pick than our 20.

Ozzy rules!!

Originally posted by Stamos
Rivers stock fell on most teams draft boards this week because of poor performances in practice. The performance in a game that doesn't even allowing blitzing, was meaningless.

I'm not sure that's true. Throughout the week I read some reports that Rivers had problems and some that he was clearly the best guy there. Many reports mentioned that the scouts disagreed about Rivers. Apparently, Rivers had a very good interview with Miami and other teams. My guess is he went down on some teams boards, but up on others. Also, It appears that more people now have him rated as the 3rd best QB in the draft than prior to this week.

Originally posted by Stamos

To a fan sure. Scouts could almost careless about the performance in the game.

ah, stamos, there was no blitzing in practice either. most of the ones that say he had a bad week are independent scouts, like some no-name from draft2004.com was quote saying his mechanics aren't good and he doesn't have good arm strength. mike tice said his throwing style isn't a problem because of his height, and savage from the ravens said he's gonna make somebody happy. marino said his delivery and arm strength weren't an issue. that's three nflers giving him an endorsment. these indie draft bums have some obsession with the 'perfect' 6'4", 220 lb chisled qb with 2% body fat, great mechanics, amazing arrcuracy, and a cannon of an arm. they are not high on players who do not fit their prototype i.e. manning and ben fit into that box, but rivers and losman. it's their job to find fault, and they would even have issues with montana (arm strength), marino (mechanics), farve (mechanics), or bradshaw (accuracy). just b/c some scout says this or that, doesn't mean that its gonna affect one's draft status. carr was chastised b/c of his sidearmed delivery, and he still went #1. take what those pundits say with a grain of salt. opinions are like a$$holes, everybody's got one and most are full of shiznit

Before the game Kiper had Rivers going in the 2nd or 3rd round, JP Losman the clear #3 QB.

After the game Kiper ate his crow on Rivers, said he was separating himself CLEARLY as the #3 QB so far, and said that the #3 QB will probably be drafted by Miami at pick 20.

I don't think that is indicative of Rivers' stock falling with most teams. To say that scouts could care less about the production in the actual game is a blatant falsehood. The scouts want to see what happens when the lights come on, and the QB is facing a passrush by some of the best in the country, throwing to some of the best in the country against some of the best in the country.

It wasn't like Rivers sat in the pocket all day long THEN threw the ball getting his completions that way. The teams didn't blitz you're right, they sat back in coverage and he showed amazing timing with his own players after only a week of practice with them. With the lights on Rivers was lights out. I guarantee he rose on most teams' draft boards...and I don't think you have any reason to say he fell Stamos' unless you've got some kind of inside info scouts on a bunch of teams telling you that he fell on everyone's board. He rose, but when the combine comes and goes he could fall a little again. When people get a look at Losman's cannon more closely at the combine, I think he will fall a bit.

What I don't get is how everyone who likes Rivers hates Losman, everyone who likes Losman automatically has to hate Rivers. They are both good quarterbacks who give you a lot to be excited about in different ways.

No I am split as of now on both QBs. What I really dislike is people that call Losman a bust.

Losman did do a decent job but Rivers to me was a level or 2 ahead of every one. To me it aint a split it is Rivers yes if we did'nt get Rivers I would have to be satified with Losman. I don't hate Losman I just don't like his attitude you know he is playing it off when he is being interviewed you can look at him an tell he is for himself but he is a talented qb but I think it take him more time to learn in the NFL than Rivers.

I did'nt see him do anything yesterday that would put him even or ahead of Rivers.

Back
Top Bottom