Number two QB? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Number two QB?

Another Take!
I live in Denver and am a serious Fish Fan that also likes the Broncos. I have seen almost every game Griese has played. He is a decent QB and will be fine Griese's problems were off the field and frankly I think he just quit up here. Having said that he was certainly a better QB then the fans gave him credit for. He was in the exact same boat as Feidler following a legend. Plummer will get a little more slack because the fans took a lot out on Griese. He will also benifit by having a media friendly personality which Griese did not exhibit in Denver. All I know is I have seen him throw some really nice stuff his numbers have been in the top 10 area since he started,he went to the probowl and is a monumental upgrade from Lucas. Even after tripping over his dog Griese did not cry not even once.

good call 13isgr81.....Broncofox knows her football....I've read quite a few of her posts over at OM and have always been impressed by her honesty and knowledge.....

So, before anybody else responds with smack towards her just remember, she is giving her opinion not trying to smack....If you disagree with her opion , fine, let fly but, leave the smack out of it.

Originally posted by Dolphins_34
Bitter, Bitter, Bitter!
Good luck with Plumber! :lol:
He is an average QB but at least he has a better team and WR's to play with this year!
Go Dolphins!

We leave the smack in the smack forum around here okay....this forum is for legitimate football talk, not grade school taunts......we have an active smack forum that's just begging for new blood so if that is your thing feel free to dive right in but, if you keep doing it in this forum we're going to have a problem okay.....thanks for understanding.

As far as physical ability goes Sage beats both Jay and Brian out. But until he plays against a 1st team D we don't know if he can actually run an offense, and that's ALL that matters. I would like to see Wanny give him some time in front of a 2nd string D however just to give Brian a little push if nothing else.

He will always post some solid, ok stats. But his complete lack of playmaking ability (no rollouts, etc), his inability to handle pressure, and his insistance of always throwing short little passes will never earn him a SB, imo. You are best keeping him in the backup position!! He is no NFL starter! You will regret it, if he does.

Well then lets compare Griese to McNabb, McNabb rolls out and has good recievers and has what.. like 800 yrds rushing every year but he can't complete a little swing pass to his back out of the backfield or play just a stright drop back stay in the pocket
passer why? Because he is a run and shoot QB and in Andy Reids
system, it's west coast.

Now does that mean McNabb is a so so
QB? No.... I think he is just in the wrong system. The same could be said for Brian maybe he will be a bust but then maybe he won't. You bust on Brian because you were spoiled by Elway we should know we still bust on Jay because we were spoiled by Marino. I think that Plummer is a good QB but he is not better then Brian you just think that because Jake is in Denver now.

I watched some of the highlights from your game Jake looked good, but he is your starter and Brian is our backup so Brian has not had the reps with the first unit like Jake has and how many roll out plays did Brian have on the Broncos? Not many if you say he never did that. So I think the O cordinator made some plays up just for Jake. Just because you don't like Brian does not mean he stinks.

The funny thing is that NO fans said the same thing about Ricky last year and we all know what happend after he arrived. Come on this site all you want talking smack about Brian
I'll take him anytime,I'll bet when he had a QB rating of what...130
and made the Probowl you were not doing too much complaining.

Amen RickyKicksA$$. It amuses me how little so many really know about football. And you hit the nail right on the head...everyone in Denver love BG when he threw 19 TDs to 4 INTs. And you could take the same things they were saying about Ricky last year and put in Brian's name this year. Lets give him time and the benifit of the doubt and I'm sure he'll come thru if his name is called. Just like Ricky did.
Brian was brought in for his experience. As good as Sage looked..it was against Tampa's 3rd string and he was throwing to people he has been throwing to all summer...not the last 3 days.

"According to the Big O, who says he's been at every single practice, Griese has become the master of the checkoff meaning he won't pull the trigger and throw the ball downfield to the primary receivers. Instead he's looking way too early at the secondary receivers so he can dump the ball off. He's very indecisive and he's getting sacked way too much. From what I saw he has a valid point"

This is exactly what Griese did with the Broncos. He holds the ball too long, which leads to sacks because he can't avoid the pressure. The dumps the ball off way too much. He'll always have a high completion percentage because he dumps the ball off, but that doesn't get the O anywhere. He had 6 completions for only 45 yards the other night. That isn't really any good. That doesn't help the team in 3rd and long. The guy won't go down field...at all. He rarely ever throws a pass over 10 yards. Fiedler isn't the best QB around, but I like him because he finds a way to win. He can make plays. Griese can't. You guys better hope Fiedler stays healthy, because Griese can't get it done. 6-8 for 45 yards are Griese type numbers. Also, drives that end in punts and FGs are Griese type drives.

As for McNabb, I also think he's in the wrong system, kind of like Elway was for his first 10 years. But McNabb has had his team in the NFC Championship game the last two years. Griese has never taken the Broncos to the playoffs. The only season that the Broncos went to the playoffs under Griese, 2000, Griese was 4-4 as a starter, and Gus Frerotte was 7-1. Griese just isn't a winner. A good back up, but not a starter.

Thanks for the support Infinsible! =)

And I am not bitter, not at all. I'm relieved, hee.

I am not a sports analyst, but I know football enough to know a players limitations. I am not guessing about Brian's abilities, I've seen every down the guy has played while in a Bronco uni. He is what he is, no more. No 'system' is going to make him more of a scrambler, or give him play making ability, nor make him a leader, or more positive on the sideline, or less introverted. His off field issues IMO where blown out of proportion. But there is no doubting what he can and can't do.

And mind you, I was a *huge* Griese supporter. All the way up to near the end of last year in fact. I was one of his most ardent 'rah rah' supporters, telling everyone to give the guy a chance. Well, I finally saw that he was never going to get over the hurdles that are his own problems and his own abilities (or lack thereof). He had his last 'hurrah' in the final Oakland game.. he knew it, the team knew it, the fans knew it. And he choked, big time. He really folds under pressure. I think he really puts to much on himself. I said well over a year ago that Brian's biggest issue was that he plays mind games with himself. Until he gets over that, it doesn't matter *what* system he plays in, he will be limiting himself.

What you saw IMO, is what we say in Denver the entire time he played for us. That is his style.

You say the system in Denver didn't suit him? In one preseason game, Jake Plummer has shown a lot more moxy than Brian ever has shown. Greater speed, rollouts were awesome, playmaking.. he was a leader. These things Brian didn't have, and doesn't. And Jake plays in the same 'system' as Brian.

It has very little to do with the 'system'. It has everything to do with what Brian is and isn't capable of doing. But I think by the end of the year, you'll come to the same conclusions.

If you are lucky though, he will only rarely need to come in, and will be a solid backup. He actually does well in a backup role, it might be good if that is where he stays. =)

BroncoFox

I know that we all agree on this...Today, Rosenfels would help us more than Griese.
SR has had much more time under Turner (don't forget their time in Washington). Griese has always looked tentative; in Michigan, Denver and now with our home team. Let's hope that Fiedler can sustain a healthy season and all this becomes a moot point.

Originally posted by BroncoFox
Thanks for the support Infinsible! =)

BroncoFox

Not a problem BroncoFox.....our aim for this forum is for it to be a place where EVERYONE can express their opinions about the Dolphins w/out harassment and derision.....we respect and need the valuable input of other's perceptions...I appreciate you taking the time to register here and adding to our forums in a respectful and intelligent way....so, thank YOU.....

Back
Top Bottom