Offensive line shake up... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive line shake up...

Crazy ... no need to call someone a dummy... please one more time...cut the name calling, and before you say it, I don't care if you were "kidding" or not. This isn't the first time you've been told.

I don't think the coaching staff wants to rotate the centers but to give the 2nd year player some reps. While Mckinney is a very athletic center if there is one thing that he lacks is heavy power but every player has his weakness. He is a good player and will probalby start for us anytime soon even if its next season.

This is true. But then again, Ruddy doesn't have that power either (even though he is one of the strongest guys in the weight room). So I guess it's ok.

It has been pretty obvious for a while now that the coaching staff is eager to find a spot in the starting lineup for McKinney. Earlier this week, I wrote a number of posts suggesting that there was a strong possibility that changes would be made on the O-line, and IMHO, this is merely the beginning.

It is possible that the coaches have a number of changes in mind, but are a little reluctent to do so in one movement. Virtually every lineman is under intense scrutiny, and from what I have seen, no guy is safe in terms of their starting role. Last week I pointed out that Dixon will be available soon, and McKinney is on the bench. Well, between those two, it is quite feasible that every line position can be covered, or replaced.

This move is a little unconventional in its implementation, but hardly suprising. It just appears that the change is being made gradually, allowing the staff to judge the two centres under similar circumstances. They are playing the odds, so if McKinney struggles, or indeed he dominates, they are left with a clear cut choice, and less second guessing. Should McKinney play on a par with Ruddy, then I would expect him to SLOWLY, recieve more snaps as the season wears one.

The concerns that some of you have expressed are very valid. Especially when you consider that Ruddy has quite an unusual stance (remember Marino took a while to adapt to Ruddy's snaps). However, Seth plays quite low to the ground in a similar way to Tim, so hopefully that will not be such a hinderance. Infact, I seem to remember another team rotating centers quite successfully in years gone by (unfortunately, my mind has gone blank as to who it was). The coaches have blatently had this option in mind for some time, hence McKinney recieving virtually 50% of snaps since July. IMHO, this was not simply to open the competition up to McKinney, but to allow him to move into the lineup as seamlessly as possible.

Remember JJ's tactics a few years ago with the O-line?? He rotated players, in an effort to keep them fresh (in addition to having no clear cut starters at a couple of spots). This seemed to create a number of communication problems, which is definately a worry.

Some quick pros to the move though (the cons are pretty obvious):-

>A fresh McKinney entering the game when (hopefully) the running game needs to dominate

>McKinney brings some needed agression and tenacity to the line, and that can be infectious (perhaps he will spark Nails, as Jamie did for others last year)

>This sends a message to others on the line

>The coaching staff will get to assess McKinney and Ruddy in a game time situation while going against the same matchups for an extended period.

Jees, I really do waffle :lol:

Originally posted by CRAZYDOLFAN305

Look, this is not Pee Wee football dummy, it's the NFL. Trust me, as much as you would like to believe that's going to be a problem, it's not going to be..

Maybe, but why invite the potential for more problems?
Center/QB snap fumbles are quite common when a new Center comes into a game. Not just pee wee football but in college and pro level football. Care to explain how that is a common problem in this situation but you are so convinced that it won't be that you call someone a dummy for pointing it out????

Personally, if they want to shake up the line then do it!
Just make McKinney the starting center. one or the other.

Originally posted by Muck
.....not to mention the fact that Ruddy's contract is heavy on incentives this year. If he plays 65% of the offensive plays (I think it's 65%), he gets something like $1 million back next year. That money will count against next year's cap regardless of whether or not he's on the roster.

This type of incentive based on a player's playing time is first compared to last year. Since Ruddy did take 65% of the snaps last year this ia a LTBE (Likely To Be Earned) incentive and it is already charged to the 2003 salary cap. A NLTBE (not) incentive is not charged to the current salary cap until earned.

At the end of the year all incentive bonuses paid are totaled and compared to the amount charged to the cap. If less bonus is paid out compared to what was charged to the cap the team gets a credit for next year. This amount would actually increase the team's cap for the next year.

If more bonus is paid out than already charged , usually because of NLTBE incentives, then it is first charged to the current cap. If the amount goes over the current cap, then the remainder is charged to the next year. This amount then reduces the team's cap for the next year.

This site probably explains it better than me.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/front-...lmn=/front-features2/030802_1.prm&go=shownews

Originally posted by CRAZYDOLFAN305

Look, this is not Pee Wee football dummy, it's the NFL. Trust me, as much as you would like to believe that's going to be a problem, it's not going to be..I trust our coaching staff alot more than your pessimistic views and opinions..So, if DW is trying something new than I'm behind him..I mean why not, everyone else hates the guy..So I figure I got nothing to loose..

Is it possible for you to have a debate on something without personally insulting someone?
Anyway, your argument is weak given that experience in the NFL contradicts it. I can't count the number of times I've seen a center get injured in a game, the replacement come in and flub the exchange.

Thanks Muck and the rest of you guys for talking about Ruddy and the cap.

Of all the poor reporting about contracts and the salary cap for the Miami Dolphins, Ruddy's contract information has to be one of the worst. Reviewing his cap numbers I realized I made a $755K error reporting his cap charge at $1.8 million. The rock soild numbers for Ruddy are:

2003 base salary $.655M
prorated bonus .800M

Total $1.455M

It was reported his salary cut was $1.1M which he could earn totally or mostly (depending on who reported) back with incentives. My mistake was thinking he could earn $1 million which gives him a $345K incentive bonus rather than the approximately $1. million actual incentive bonus. So his cap charge for 2003 is between $2.455 to $2.65million. The 2.65 is the original numbers for the year.

Base $1.85M
Bonus ..800

Total $2.65

If you are a cap nut, just forget the $450K roster bonus he was to receive the day after they cut his salary. I suppose that is a fair deal for eroding skills and not getting cut for cap reasons. Lose the $450K bonus and get a good chance to make back the othe $1.M reduction.

7/30/03 The Sun Sentinel
The Dolphins persuaded Ruddy to cut his base salary by $1.1 million in February. He can earn it back if the team improves in certain statistical categories and he plays 20 percent of the snaps.

7/31/03 The Palm Beach Post
Ruddy, 31, made the Pro Bowl in 2000, but his play may have slipped the past two seasons. He agreed to take a pay cut during the off-season, from $2.1 million to $1 million, but can earn most of the money back in incentives -- assuming he remains the starter.

7/31/03 The Sun Sentinel
Ruddy, 31, started all 16 games last season but might have been released in the offseason had he not agreed to restructure his contract. Ruddy reduced his base salary by $1.1 million with the chance to earn that money back through incentives.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if they'll use Mckinney to pull out of the center position,like Nails had been doing so well from RG last year, and how Kevin Mawai has been great at for years? We don't have any guys to block downfield on the iinterior of the o-line, NAils hasn't been the same since his achilles injury, Perry is an older guard who I don't think excels at pulling, and Ruddy has never been a moving center.

Originally posted by JAGFISH
I wonder if they'll use Mckinney to pull out of the center position,like Nails had been doing so well from RG last year, and how Kevin Mawai has been great at for years? We don't have any guys to block downfield on the iinterior of the o-line, NAils hasn't been the same since his achilles injury, Perry is an older guard who I don't think excels at pulling, and Ruddy has never been a moving center.

Good point JAGFISH I hope they can use him in that way. That's one of the reasons miami tried so hard to sign Kreutz from the bears. He is also awesome at doing this.

"Ruddy, the Dolphins' starter at center the past eight years, said he didn't think splitting time with McKinney would keep him from developing a rhythm.

''I don't think it's that big a deal,'' he said."

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/6761171.htm

Finally, from the horses mouth. If the players think it's not a problem then I gotta give them the benefit of the doubt. This should be a great move for all the positive reasons you guys stated above.

I too am concerned about a center rotation, however, I think the primary issues can be summed up:

1) Ruddy's knee - even if he can go, how effective will he be? His biggest problem has been being blown off his blocks - that will expose his weakness even more. And, how far will he last into the season? I think it's a necessary evil.

2) McKinney is a very solid player and is likely to get more time this year, perhaps even replace Ruddy altogether or move to another position. He doesn't need to get rusty for 4-5 games.

3) For the center position, the primary issues are - comfort with the snap; being able to call the blocking schemes; and timing with OG's. I think he's played enough to get the timing down. I think the toughest thing will be the line calls and reading the defensive line stunts. But, that will always be a factor with a man who becomes a starter at center at any given point in his career.

I have confidence in Seth. He's a solid competitor.

Back
Top Bottom