Offensive Line...Which is the best course of action? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive Line...Which is the best course of action?

What is the best course of action for the OL?

• LT Pace/Jones, LG Nails, C McKinney, RG Perry, RT Smith

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • LT Smith, LG Nails, C McKinney, RG Woody, RT Wade

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • LT Smith, LG Timmerman, C McKinney, RG Perry, J.James

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • LT Smith, LG Goff, C McKinney, RG Perry, RT Tait

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • LT Smith, LG Nails, C McKinney, RG Yates, RT Wade

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

Gladsadmad

Active Roster
Reaction score
Depending on which GM the Dolphins choose, there are several different ways they could address the offensive line.

Go for broke and sign the biggest free agents available, Orlando Pace, Damien Woody or Walter Jones (unless they are franchised). This, however, may not allow them the cap room to add any other FA veteran offensive lineman...only rookies.

Go after one the players in next group of very solid lineman such as John Tait, Frank Middleton, Chad Clifton, Chris Villarrial or Adam Timmerman and still have cap room to add another lesser known free agent with potential.

Sign possibly three lesser known free agents that have potential such as Mike Goff, RFA Bennie Anderson, RFA Rick DeMulling, Chris Bober or Jeno James.

Go after WR's and QB with their money and give young players like Billy Yates or Seth McKinney a chance to start while retaining Nails and Todd Wade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wade and Nails are UFAs and Perry is more than likely to be cut
Clearing cap space: The Dolphins will rid themselves of almost $6 million by releasing Brian Griese before he is slated to collect a $5.94 million roster bonus. Other players who probably won't be collecting scheduled roster bonuses include free safety Brock Marion ($500,000), center Tim Ruddy ($500,000), wide receiver Derrius Thompson ($400,000) and right guard Todd Perry ($250,000).
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ec28,0,7407106.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

so I am not sure we can sign more than 1 big name FA and 1 vet. min. guy. I am hoping we can get Nails back cheap

P.S. I voted LT Smith, LG Goff, C McKinney, RG Perry, RT Tait since we need a good RT to protect Brunnell's back :D

I'm thinking the same thing..If Wade Smith gets beat in 2004..at least Brunell could see it coming.

Originally posted by dolphan39
P.S. I voted LT Smith, LG Goff, C McKinney, RG Perry, RT Tait since we need a good RT to protect Brunnell's back :D

I did too but dont like any of these options. I would like to see LT-Smith, LG Timmerman, C-Mckinney, FA-RG and Tait at RT. Perhaps its too much $$. But we could get a reasonable G for a good price I hope. The idea of Perry coming back makes me sick.

Money is definitely the problem. If Miami is going to add a QB and at least one WR (hopefully), I don't see how they can add 3 free agent starters to the OL...especially if any of them are really good.

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea of a rookie offensive lineman starting for the Dolphins in 2004 disturbs me. With the veteran team Miami has, I don't think I can stand to watch another young guy "learning the ropes".

Originally posted by Gladsadmad
Depending on which GM the Dolphins choose, there are several different ways they could address the offensive line.

Go for broke and sign the biggest free agents available, Orlando Pace, Damien Woody or Walter Jones (unless they are franchised). This, however, may not allow them the cap room to add any other FA veteran offensive lineman...only rookies.

Go after one the players in next group of very solid lineman such as John Tait, Frank Middleton, Chad Clifton, Chris Villarrial or Adam Timmerman and still have cap room to add another lesser known free agent with potential.

Sign possibly three lesser known free agents that have potential such as Mike Goff, RFA Bennie Anderson, RFA Rick DeMulling, Chris Bober or Jeno James.

Go after WR's and QB with their money and give young players like Billy Yates or Seth McKinney a chance to start while retaining Nails and Todd Wade.

Wow, this is beyond speculative. There are just too many [unknown] factors involved to anything but just guess. But then again, that's about all the Fins have done the last couple of yrs anyway!! :lol:

"Wow, this is beyond speculative. There are just too many [unknown] factors involved to anything but just guess. But then again, that's about all the Fins have done the last couple of yrs anyway!! "

DeDolfan, The question isn't which one of the scenarios do you think will happen. Obviously nobody can see the future. I was asking which option looked the best of the ones listed.

Originally posted by Gladsadmad
"Wow, this is beyond speculative. There are just too many [unknown] factors involved to anything but just guess. But then again, that's about all the Fins have done the last couple of yrs anyway!! "

DeDolfan, The question isn't which one of the scenarios do you think will happen. Obviously nobody can see the future. I was asking which option looked the best of the ones listed.

ya, I know that but did you notice the little smilie thingie along with it tho? i only said it cuz it's a bit early toeven guess since the GM hasn't even been hired yet. And FA hasn't started yet and know whose gonna get tagged or resigned before it starts and all.

Agree we don't want many rookie OL starting, so a 1st round WR or QB and get OL later in the draft and thru FA then?

Originally posted by bigmiamifan
Agree we don't want many rookie OL starting, so a 1st round WR or QB and get OL later in the draft and thru FA then?

I assume you're talking to me but a 1st rnd rook starting is better than a 3rd rndr tho, usually anyway.
I agree that a QB with our first pick should be a top priority regardless of any vets we sign. I rate our next priority as oL and then WR. We can have the top 6 WRs in the NFL on our roster and it wouldn't do a bit of good unless we have a decent line. That point has been proven with Ricky. But who we draft when will all depend on what areas are [adequately] addressed in FA tho. If we can grab a couple of top flite oLman in FA, then by all means, go WR with our 2nd pick.

Back
Top Bottom