Offensive Line | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive Line

NorthernFin

Scout Team
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
How can our line, in the 14th game of the season no less, play like it's the first game of preseason? This last game was beyond appalling. We couldn't open holes for the run game (beyond the 75 rd Ballage run), we certainly could not pass block. We had no clue how to pick up blitzes and stunts, and I saw a few plays where we would double team one guy and let another go untouched!!
This drives me absolutely crazy! Is the talent that bad? I mean Tunsil is getting some press for a pro-bowl bid. James usually is solid but has a few mental breakdowns here and there. Davis and Swanson are up and down, but Larsen is well below average. I still think they should provide some plays where they can pass block for 4 seconds.
Is it the zone scheme? Is it the coaching? I just don't understand how these guys can perform that bad after 14 games. They practice this stuff during the week right?

This last game explains why my bottle of Evan William is almost gone.

I think it is a combination of things, starting with coaching and then talent due to injuries (same story for almost a decade). However, it was very telling to me that Tunsil stated they were not prepared for the twists and stunts the Vikes did which is #1 very sad and #2, 100% on Gase, the OC, and the OL coach!

NOT PREPARED!!:mad

Just don't understand how we can not scout another team in preparation for a crucial week 16 game?? I agree with the original poster. I don't believe it's the players. Sure they are not great and many are backups but there are backups across the league and no other team's offense looks this crappy.

NOT PREPARED!!:mad

Just don't understand how we can not scout another team in preparation for a crucial week 16 game?? I agree with the original poster. I don't believe it's the players. Sure they are not great and many are backups but there are backups across the league and no other team's offense looks this crappy.
Ross cut a scout to save extra cash to pay all those players on the injured reserve!!! Good grieve. To be unprepared in game 14 for a team known for it's rough and tough defense, is inexcusable!!!

Our offensive line is offensive to anyone who enjoys football.

I put it 80% on the coaches. The really baffling thing, though, it that the same basic issues have been continuing through several regimes.

I am not going blame all on line. drake cannot block as well. thill17 is good at bootleg, rolling to right and left and good in pocket w no pressure.
defense know thill17 cannot scramble. he stay in same spot. that why they sending 5 or7 guy blisting to but pressure on him or get a sack...and I agree w The 5 WR set is killing the Dolphins as well

Last edited:
How can our line, in the 14th game of the season no less, play like it's the first game of preseason? This last game was beyond appalling. We couldn't open holes for the run game (beyond the 75 rd Ballage run), we certainly could not pass block. We had no clue how to pick up blitzes and stunts, and I saw a few plays where we would double team one guy and let another go untouched!!
This drives me absolutely crazy! Is the talent that bad? I mean Tunsil is getting some press for a pro-bowl bid. James usually is solid but has a few mental breakdowns here and there. Davis and Swanson are up and down, but Larsen is well below average. I still think they should provide some plays where they can pass block for 4 seconds.
Is it the zone scheme? Is it the coaching? I just don't understand how these guys can perform that bad after 14 games. They practice this stuff during the week right?

This last game explains why my bottle of Evan William is almost gone.

It has to be coaching......our inability to adjust or shift to pick up blitzes is appalling....we have seen it way too often and defenses we play clearly see the opportunity in their game planning!

On a side note, I have a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle that I opened when the Fins made the playoffs in 2016. I will save it for our next playoff appearance, but my bottle of 23 year old bottle of bourbon might be a 30 year at this rate......

The 5 WR set is killing the Dolphins. Just rush an extra man and kill Miami's QB. The word is out.

I completely agree with this. Elite quarterbacks can get away with 4-wide and 5-wide and empty sets. But it is a detriment to average and lesser quarterbacks. That has been my argument for more than a decade.

The Cream quarterbacks make the proper reads and adjustments pre snap, and likewise diagnose immediately once the play is underway. But with lower tier quarterbacks the defense has no fear and once you give them that unprotected aspect they salivate to rotate forward and attack.

Unfortunately the young coaches and coordinators don't differentiate based on caliber of quarterback. They see something that works for elite quarterbacks and immediately want to put it into play on their team.

It would be like a shorter hitting PGA pro watching Dustin Johnson or Bubba Watson carry a 300 yard lake and brainstorming to give it a whirl himself.

I blame talent and the decision makers who are responsible for bringing in injury prone, aging and average OL personnel while letting go of all pro talent. Shame on those who let them off the hook by saying it’s coaching. It’s week 15 and they can’t adjust to a different look than they expected? I call BS. It’s not lack of preparedness, it’s lack of talent. The OL was mediocre coming into the season. It’s below avg after injuries. And RT doesn’t exactly have the pocket awareness to hide some of the OL mistakes. He can be good when the OL does their job. But terrible when they make mistakes.

One thing that really bothered me was that Gase never adjusted to the vikings pass rush. When the other team is bringing that type of pressure you need to do different things to slow that pass rush down. Maybe a RB screen or a draw play. Quick 2 steps slants could work too. You want to get the ball out quick so those are the type of plays I was expecting. Instead Gase was calling for Tannehill to drop back and pretty much just take the sack. PA on 1st down, roll outs and bootlegs. ANYTHING to slow that rush but nope, we kept doing the same thing time after time. When your O-line is struggling you need to help the O-line and running the same plays over and over that haven't worked all day is not the way to help your O-line.

We know we haven't fielded our starting five in a long time.
We need to address what our strength should because trying to fill every position every year is not working.
When RT is in the center and guards have to be strong.

Our Oline for years have been a patch work or band aid of older players from every team or lower round draft picks mashed together in hopes of becoming good not even elite. This team has to do better than this.....games or won or lost in the trenches.

Back
Top Bottom