Offensive Line | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive Line

The offensive line has been a problem for years now and it's ridiculous

Yea but we have an oh ZINGER genius @HC who's gonna roll out his secret plans for the OL

including unheard of protection schemes and "advanced drone strikes" deep in enemy territory!

The Vikes game was essentially a "disinformation scheme" designed to lull the opposition

into complacency! Beyond that -- don't worry!

I could not agree more. I watched Seattle the other night, and they've had major line issues so they stack 1-2 more guys on the line and go jumbo to avoid sacks. Sure, it eliminates some of the pro-style play options, but it keeps your QB on his feet, improves the run and can keep your offense on the field longer. We do nothing of the sort! Our WR's are a terrible weakness, so why would we want more of them out there? LOL

So true! Our WR's can't block a soul and it's evident by how bad our screens are. The ones we have playing right now (stills, amendola, butler, parker) are way too finesse and not physical enough. We draft two TE's but we've yet to see double tight formations. Gase's offense is bad because they really do nothing well. They have no identity. They can't run the football or pass it consistently.... it's pretty sad.

The game of football is pretty simple when you think about it. It's a numbers game! If you're having trouble running the ball it's probably because you're out manned in the box. Want to be better at running the ball? Add another guy in your box, whether that's a FB, TE, HB, etc. is really on you to decide but you better not be running 6 guys at a 7 or 8 man box because 9 times out of 10 you're gonna lose. I see it constantly with Gase. Two TE's are never on the field at the same time, it's like he can't adjust. Even with key personnel going down he still runs the same plays and uses the same protections and we end up getting smacked around all game. I'm disgusted... and it doesn't help that Ryan Tannehill is just an average joe who couldn't fight himself out of a wet paper bag. If I was him I'd be calling my own protections, dropping back play after play and getting put on my a** would get old very quick. I'm calling my own freaking plays and protections because what Gase is calling isn't working.

The thing I've noticed, is the 5 WR set and putrid Offensive Line play goes as far back as Joe Philbin. Tannehill was getting hammered back then, in the 5 WR set. To think, a professional football coach like Adam Gase hasn't adjusted, is a detriment to his ability as a coach IMHO.
If your running 5 receiver sets, you'd better have a QB who gets rid of the ball a LOT quicker than Tannehill, because SOMEONE is coming free on a rush.

If your running 5 receiver sets, you'd better have a QB who gets rid of the ball a LOT quicker than Tannehill, because SOMEONE is coming free on a rush.

Pretty sure that Tannehill has consistently gotten the ball out quickly under Gase. Did a quick search and found this... https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

I'm not a next gen stats guy but according to this, he's tied for 9th in how fast the ball gets out after the snap. Your point is accurate...someone is coming free on the rush against us. We need to fix that, like 5 years ago...

Yea but we have an oh ZINGER genius @HC who's gonna roll out his secret plans for the OL

Don't you forget our secret weapon is Isaac Asiata
NO ONE will expect our soon to be 26 year old red shirted
offensive linemen.

He will be amazing
He will be well rested
Gase is a genius

Fantastic job by Armando to call out the retractable belt and Club 6 Deuce nonsense by the offensive linemen. His only mistake was not calling out the retractable belt garbage as soon as it showed up.

This was the best paragraph from Armando's column:

"And it’s unbelievable to me not one person in the entire Miami Dolphins organization had the sense to say, “Hey guys, this is a bad idea. We’re not doing this.”

Unfortunately, it is not unbelievable. It would have been unbelievable when Shula was early in his Dolphins stint. These days the Dolphins don't have sharp people atop the organization, and that trend naturally makes its way all the way down the ladder. I've been trying to give Adam Gase the benefit of a doubt but if he didn't cut this off immediately and scold everyone responsible, then his value system is not what it needs to be.

Imagine the fear it requires for the offensive linemen to even contemplate a move like this. Hey guys, we are jointly petrified of the media and what they might ask us or write/say about us, so let's put up a retractable belt to keep them away, and have it guarded by a bouncer-type.

As always, the greatest litmus test in this era is opinion of the media. I would always ask that question during the scouting process, and be very leery of drafting someone who is paranoid regarding the media. I can't imagine spending a high pick on that type. You need someone who understands how beneficial it is to stand up there confidently and answer questions fully, along with expanding on your answers. The sports media will lap that up, and the residue is massive in your favor.

Most hilarious of all, some people these days believe it sounds good to voice distaste for the media. Let's hide and be scared.

Back
Top Bottom