Official 2006 Florida Marlins Offseason Thread | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2006 Florida Marlins Offseason Thread

Boik14 said:
I didnt say all marlins fans are new yorkers, but certainly there are some and there is simply no way to deny that with the number of transplanted NY'ers there. That percentage of the fanbase imo would likely have made a judgement regarding arods failures in NY already. It makes sense but obviously its over your head.

Anyway, I didnt post in this thread to start a conversation about nonsense just to give an opinion. It would be a very bold move for the Marlins to go after arod and one the marlins should make imo.

Nice dig there. Really classy.

Marlins fans didn't care about Carlos Delgado not standing for God Bless America even though the NY press tried to make it a big deal out of spite when he signed here. The same fans who also root for the Panthers don't care about Todd Bertuzzi smacking Steve Moore over the head as long as he scores goals, even though the media tried to make it a big deal. The same Heat fans love Alonzo Mourning even though he left for greener pastures after the team emotionally and financially nursed him to health after his kidney ordeal. Fans are reactionary and only care what you do for them, not what you did in the past. To suggest that Marlins fans would not get excited over Alex Rodriguez, the man who went .290-35-120 in career-low year, is beyond ridiculous.

After all, Daunte Culpepper never won a thing in Minnesota. He wasn't exactly clutch up there. They lost big games and never made good on their potential. But didn't the same fans who root for the Marlins get totally jazzed when he was acquired?

MikeO said:
Also.........if AROD went to the Marlins. I bet within 6 months a new stadium deal would be done and in place with groundbreaking begun in 9-12 months.

AROD would move product in that area with his heratige. He could break the all time MLB home run record there. And be the first Marlin to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. He would do more in that area for MLB than winning the 2 world championships ever did. And Im dead serious about that.

Bingo. A franchise looking for stability holds a press conference to say that they will break ground on a stadium and have acquired Alex Rodriguez. Hello, $$$.

Cabrera won't be traded. I would not trade him straight up for A-Rod, simply because he'll be putting up similar stats but he's 10 years younger. The deal would be for pitching, but they'll find a way to make it work.

Ferret, he does have a no-trade clause, but only covers 25 teams. Florida is on the short list of teams he does not need to give his consent to be traded to. That's enough of an endorsement right there to determine if he would play here.

RWhitney014 said:
Bingo. A franchise looking for stability holds a press conference to say that they will break ground on a stadium and have acquired Alex Rodriguez. Hello, $$$.

Cabrera won't be traded. I would not trade him straight up for A-Rod, simply because he'll be putting up similar stats but he's 10 years younger. The deal would be for pitching, but they'll find a way to make it work.

Ferret, he does have a no-trade clause, but only covers 25 teams. Florida is on the short list of teams he does not need to give his consent to be traded to. That's enough of an endorsement right there to determine if he would play here.

Do you know the other teams he doesn't have a no trade clause for?

RWhitney014 said:

The only way they get a new stadium is if the taxpayers pay for it, and I dont see anyone offering them anything more than land. The ownership has so much debt and no strong revenue source....noone is going to give them money.

And where did you get that from? He may have declared a preference to go to certain teams if he was to be traded, but his no-trade clause is just like all others. He can't get sent anywhere without final approval.

Ferretsquig said:
The only way they get a new stadium is if the taxpayers pay for it, and I dont see anyone offering them anything more than land. The ownership has so much debt and no strong revenue source....noone is going to give them money.

And where did you get that from? He may have declared a preference to go to certain teams if he was to be traded, but his no-trade clause is just like all others. He can't get sent anywhere without final approval.

There's alot of no trade clauses where they have only certain teams where they can't get traded to.

Ferretsquig said:

I read it the other day. I'll look for it, but there are plenty of limited no-trade clauses. Torii Hunter has one, I know for sure.

RWhitney014 said:
Nice dig there. Really classy.

Marlins fans didn't care about Carlos Delgado not standing for God Bless America even though the NY press tried to make it a big deal out of spite when he signed here. The same fans who also root for the Panthers don't care about Todd Bertuzzi smacking Steve Moore over the head as long as he scores goals, even though the media tried to make it a big deal. The same Heat fans love Alonzo Mourning even though he left for greener pastures after the team emotionally and financially nursed him to health after his kidney ordeal. Fans are reactionary and only care what you do for them, not what you did in the past. To suggest that Marlins fans would not get excited over Alex Rodriguez, the man who went .290-35-120 in career-low year, is beyond ridiculous.
After all, Daunte Culpepper never won a thing in Minnesota. He wasn't exactly clutch up there. They lost big games and never made good on their potential. But didn't the same fans who root for the Marlins get totally jazzed when he was acquired?
I suggested they would get excited over arod. I even said it would be a very bold move (last post) and that as met fan the idea Arod in south florida would be daunting I must admit because I believe that arod would flourish with less pressure and scrutiny (first post). Where are you getting that I said Marlin fans wouldnt get excited over this?

Boik14 said:
I suggested they would get excited over arod. I even said it would be a very bold move (last post) and that as met fan the idea Arod in south florida would be daunting I must admit because I believe that arod would flourish with less pressure and scrutiny (first post). Where are you getting that I said Marlin fans wouldnt get excited over this?

From your first post: "The biggest downside I see is that many marlin fans are transported New Yorkers who have already judged arod to be a choke artist and failure."

To me, that means that no one would get excited because they've already prejudged him. If that's not what you meant, then I don't really understand where you're going with that.

Bottom line, every single trade the Marlins can make this offseason is going to revolve around Willis. You give him up, you get a king's ransom. You don't, you're talking minor improvements, which would still be helpful but are minor.

Look around and see who's available...Chris Young? Rocco Baldelli? Carl Crawford? Alex Rodriguez? If you're trading Dontrelle Willis, you need to get a player like A-Rod in return or there will be a fan revolt. That's a matter of fact.

RWhitney014 said:
From your first post: "The biggest downside I see is that many marlin fans are transported New Yorkers who have already judged arod to be a choke artist and failure."

To me, that means that no one would get excited because they've already prejudged him. If that's not what you meant, then I don't really understand where you're going with that.

Bottom line, every single trade the Marlins can make this offseason is going to revolve around Willis. You give him up, you get a king's ransom. You don't, you're talking minor improvements, which would still be helpful but are minor.

Look around and see who's available...Chris Young? Rocco Baldelli? Carl Crawford? Alex Rodriguez? If you're trading Dontrelle Willis, you need to get a player like A-Rod in return or there will be a fan revolt. That's a matter of fact.
For someone who writes a lot you sure do struggle with the meaning of the word context.

When I said "The biggest downside I see is that many marlin fans are transported New Yorkers who have already judged arod to be a choke artist and failure." nowhere in that statement do I say that no marlin fan would get excited about the acquisition of arod should it even occur. I dont even infer that much. All I said was that the marlin fans who are transported New Yorkers will have already judged him. Now unless youre revoking your earlier statement that "no marlin fans are from NY" or whatever such stuff you wrote earlier I dont see how all marlin fans are included in that. Now stop trying to make my statement something more then it was meant to be cause its getting silly already.

Boik14 said:
For someone who writes a lot you sure do struggle with the meaning of the word context.

When I said "The biggest downside I see is that many marlin fans are transported New Yorkers who have already judged arod to be a choke artist and failure." nowhere in that statement do I say that no marlin fan would get excited about the acquisition of arod should it even occur. I dont even infer that much. All I said was that the marlin fans who are transported New Yorkers will have already judged him. Now unless youre revoking your earlier statement that "no marlin fans are from NY" or whatever such stuff you wrote earlier I dont see how all marlin fans are included in that. Now stop trying to make my statement something more then it was meant to be cause its getting silly already.

Thanks, I know what context is.

And it's funny that you're doing the exact same thing you're getting on me for, since I never said no Marlins fan are from New York. I said that the fact that a lot of the people in SoFla are from New York does not mean they have preconceived notions about whether A-Rod is a clutch player.

This thread is supposed to be about the Marlins' offseason, not about semantics. Frankly, I'd rather talk about that than have a pissing match with you. It's not fun for anyone.

RWhitney014 said:
Thanks, I know what context is.

And it's funny that you're doing the exact same thing you're getting on me for, since I never said no Marlins fan are from New York. I said that the fact that a lot of the people in SoFla are from New York does not mean they have preconceived notions about whether A-Rod is a clutch player.

This thread is supposed to be about the Marlins' offseason, not about semantics. Frankly, I'd rather talk about that than have a pissing match with you. It's not fun for anyone.
"But the argument that Marlins fans are New Yorkers and have preconceived notions doesn't hold water. That just makes no sense." I didnt write that. You did. You made that argument. That statement wasnt my argument.

Im done with this.

Boik14 said:
"But the argument that Marlins fans are New Yorkers and have preconceived notions doesn't hold water. That just makes no sense." I didnt write that. You did. You made that argument. That statement wasnt my argument.

Im done with this.

Wow. You totally misunderstood that statement. The part that doesn't make sense is the preconceived notions part, not that some Marlins fans are from New York. That's what I've been saying the whole time. You think I'm going to argue population stats?

Three fish file for free agency,

Moe, Helms, and Herges. I think they should go after Helms and leave the rest.

Im going to have to side with RWhitney on this one.

Its not even true that most of our fans are from New York. In fact most New Yorkers in South Florida are Mets fans and some Yankee of course.

Id welcome A-Rod, but if it came down to picking Miggy or A-Rod then A-Rod could hit the curb and leave

Get Up And Go said:
Three fish file for free agency,

Moe, Helms, and Herges. I think they should go after Helms and leave the rest.
THANK GOD. Don't even re-sign this guy! He is terrible! :tantrum:

Back
Top Bottom