Official 2006 Florida Marlins Offseason Thread | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2006 Florida Marlins Offseason Thread

Vertical Limit said:
THANK GOD. Don't even re-sign this guy! He is terrible! :tantrum:

Helms is going to be a tough sign because he wants to be a starter and I don't blame him. He had a fantastic year this year. If they find a way to bring him back, I'll be very happy. He's going to be tougher to replace than people realize.

As far as Herges goes, he won't be back, and though he was as bad as it gets in April and May (coincidentally, the same time his newborn son was battling whatever problem it was that almost killed him), his ERAs in June, July, and August were 2.00, 2.30, and 2.70 respectively. He exploded again in September to the tune of 8 something, but for a NRI that made the team out of spring training, it could have been much, much worse.

When does spring training start? God I miss baseball.

Anyway we should have a pretty competitive team this year, Im interested to see what we do to fill the hole in center, but we have enough pitching to keep us in every game. (assuming no-one gets traded)

Willis
Olsen
Johnson
Nolasko
Sanchez

Thats a heck of a rotation. I just hope we dont get off to a slow start again.

Our payroll is going to be around $30 million, not $19 as previously reported.

Alex44 said:
What do you think we are going to do with that extra 11 mil?

Well, the two biggest gaping holes are CF and the pen, as we all know. The pen has been addressed somewhat with the acquisitions of Gregg, Owens, and Lindstrom. The first two, barring injury, should be in the pen all season. We'll see about Lindstrom. I still think they need to go after a vet or two. No indications that Borowski is or isn't coming back, but the fact that he didn't immediately land one of these overly huge contracts is encouraging. A Keith Foulke, Octavio Dotel, or Dustin Hermanson would fit the m.o. pretty well, with the last one being the most affordable. But they're going to allocate (hopefully) a couple million to the pen because that's the going rate. Should they go the trade route again, Jacobs for Pittsburgh's Mike Gonzalez would probably satisfy both teams, especially Florida.

CF is a total crapshoot because there are so many routes they could take. Rocco Baldelli should be the first, second, and third choice. I think Nolasco, Jacobs, and a mediocre pitching prospect, like a Petit, lands him, or if TB demands one of the big four, you offer Johnson but ask for Chad Orvella in return with Rocco. Or you can go the prospect route by looking at a Reggie Willits (LAA, older) or a blockbuster for Chris Young (ARI, younger) or you can try to sign a FA stopgap like Kenny Lofton, although with the prices right now, it's out of reach and should be. Anything more than $3 million for a Lofton or someone of his caliber is not worth it.

Then they have to replace Helms (Eduardo Perez? Phil Nevin?) and Jacobs if they trade him. Hammer would move to first, which opens up LF...host of choices there, running the gamut from Bonds to Jay Payton or a spec. I'd also like them to upgrade Treanor's spot, preferably with Mike Lieberthal or Guillermo Quiroz. All that could be done with $11 million unless Bonds is in the picture.

RWhitney014 said:
Well, the two biggest gaping holes are CF and the pen, as we all know. The pen has been addressed somewhat with the acquisitions of Gregg, Owens, and Lindstrom. The first two, barring injury, should be in the pen all season. We'll see about Lindstrom. I still think they need to go after a vet or two. No indications that Borowski is or isn't coming back, but the fact that he didn't immediately land one of these overly huge contracts is encouraging. A Keith Foulke, Octavio Dotel, or Dustin Hermanson would fit the m.o. pretty well, with the last one being the most affordable. But they're going to allocate (hopefully) a couple million to the pen because that's the going rate. Should they go the trade route again, Jacobs for Pittsburgh's Mike Gonzalez would probably satisfy both teams, especially Florida.

CF is a total crapshoot because there are so many routes they could take. Rocco Baldelli should be the first, second, and third choice. I think Nolasco, Jacobs, and a mediocre pitching prospect, like a Petit, lands him, or if TB demands one of the big four, you offer Johnson but ask for Chad Orvella in return with Rocco. Or you can go the prospect route by looking at a Reggie Willits (LAA, older) or a blockbuster for Chris Young (ARI, younger) or you can try to sign a FA stopgap like Kenny Lofton, although with the prices right now, it's out of reach and should be. Anything more than $3 million for a Lofton or someone of his caliber is not worth it.

Then they have to replace Helms (Eduardo Perez? Phil Nevin?) and Jacobs if they trade him. Hammer would move to first, which opens up LF...host of choices there, running the gamut from Bonds to Jay Payton or a spec. I'd also like them to upgrade Treanor's spot, preferably with Mike Lieberthal or Guillermo Quiroz. All that could be done with $11 million unless Bonds is in the picture.

I like and dislike the idea of Bonds

On the one hand he will put butts in the seats...and we need that. He would provide great protection for Miguel and is still feared when healthy.

On the other hand he isnt a great fielder anymore and probably cant get to some balls he should or cover a lot of ground. The constant steroid questions and salary also play in. Not to mention he could get injured at any time.

Alex44 said:
I like and dislike the idea of Bonds

On the one hand he will put butts in the seats...and we need that. He would provide great protection for Miguel and is still feared when healthy.

On the other hand he isnt a great fielder anymore and probably cant get to some balls he should or cover a lot of ground. The constant steroid questions and salary also play in. Not to mention he could get injured at any time.

and be a real distraction to a young team

UCFinfan86 said:
and be a real distraction to a young team

Yeah I think the bad is more than the good. But I wouldnt be made if he did end up a Marlin....It would be good for the future because we would have fans in the seats and generate some good money this year (with a small payroll and a good amount of ticket sales) then we could spend that money next year when he is gone.

I dont know, I just cant wait for baseball to start up again.

I doubt Bonds would sign with Florida, but if he did I doubt it would be as big of a distraction as some would think.

I think Bonds would find a bit more peace in South Florida. Sure the media would follow him here, but he wouldn't hae to be the guy here.

But again, I doubt it happens.

Alex44 said:
Yeah I think the bad is more than the good. But I wouldnt be made if he did end up a Marlin....It would be good for the future because we would have fans in the seats and generate some good money this year (with a small payroll and a good amount of ticket sales) then we could spend that money next year when he is gone.

I dont know, I just cant wait for baseball to start up again.

I doubt the marlins would spend that money they earned, and i dont think it will generate that much money. You might fill the seats for 1 year but then after hes gone the seats are empty again. Someone like Arod would can sell them seats would be much better. I hate the idea of bonds going to Florida, i don't want to see him ruin them. As you can tell im a bonds hater

UCFinfan86 said:
I doubt the marlins would spend that money they earned, and i dont think it will generate that much money. You might fill the seats for 1 year but then after hes gone the seats are empty again. Someone like Arod would can sell them seats would be much better. I hate the idea of bonds going to Florida, i don't want to see him ruin them. As you can tell im a bonds hater

I hate him to, but hey if it helped the team even for one year.....

He's my least favorite baseball player so its not like I want him here or anything.

PatsSuck456 said:
Bonds would fill seats though.

For 1 year, and is the negative attention he is going to bring to the team through the media and in the clubhouse worth it longterm??

Back
Top Bottom