***Official 2010-2011 Miami Heat Thread*** | Page 171 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***Official 2010-2011 Miami Heat Thread***

nothing is guaranteed yet this man had THREE 3-peats and won 11 championships in only 20 years as a HC.

To be fair, Auerbach won 9 championships in 15 years as a HC in the NBA, which trumps Jackson's winning percentage. Furthermore, Auerbach achieved the unworldly sports record of eight consecutive championships (Jackson's three-peats are impressive, but pale in comparison, especially when you consider that a few teams in baseball and hockey have won four consecutive championships, but even that is only half of what Auerbach achieved). If you include Auerbach's time as an executive, he won 16 championships over 29 years. Finally, Auerbach's proteges have gone on to win 7 NBA championships as coaches. How many of Jackson's proteges have won an NBA championship without him?

To be fair, Auerbach won 9 championships in 15 years as a HC in the NBA, which trumps Jackson's winning percentage. Furthermore, Auerbach achieved the unworldly sports record of eight consecutive championships (Jackson's three-peats are impressive, but pale in comparison, especially when you consider that a few teams in baseball and hockey have won four consecutive championships, but even that is only half of what Auerbach achieved). If you include Auerbach's time as an executive, he won 16 championships over 29 years. Finally, Auerbach's proteges have gone on to win 7 NBA championships as coaches. How many of Jackson's proteges have won an NBA championship without him?

Red won 9 in 17 years in the NBA and 9 in 20 years as a pro coach.

red also coached at a time where there were very few teams AND after Red stepped down Boston won 2 titles w/ Bill Russell as player/coach. When Kobe takes over the Lakers and wins 2 more titles I'll move red ahead of phil.

It's not about Red as an exec, it's about him as a coach. He didn't win until he got Russell(never even made a Finals) and Russell won w/o Red.

Red is an all time great but I think Phil is better.

Red won 9 in 17 years in the NBA and 9 in 20 years as a pro coach.

red also coached at a time where there were very few teams AND after Red stepped down Boston won 2 titles w/ Bill Russell as player/coach. When Kobe takes over the Lakers and wins 2 more titles I'll move red ahead of phil.

It's not about Red as an exec, it's about him as a coach. He didn't win until he got Russell(never even made a Finals) and Russell won w/o Red.

Red is an all time great but I think Phil is better.

Good points, other than including his seasons when the NBA did not even exist, but you also have to more strongly consider this: Red handpicked all of the players on his championship-caliber teams, the most notable one being Bill Russell (which was a huge gamble at the time considering race relations), and was later responsible as an executive for getting Larry Bird, Robert Parish and Kevin McHale. Jackson inherited Jordan, Pippen, Bryant, and Shaq from previous regimes. So perhaps the argument can be made that Jackson is a better X/O's coach, but I think part of coaching is helping your team pick the right talent to field, not simply inheriting your top players from previous coaches/personnel.

I'm still in denial...I don't think I'll ever get over this ****. It's going to haunt me forever. Unless we take it next year. :( this sucks

I wore my shirt and hat proud today but everytime I think about this, it hurts so damn bad

Good points, other than including his seasons when the NBA did not even exist, but you also have to more strongly consider this: Red handpicked all of the players on his championship-caliber teams, the most notable one being Bill Russell (which was a huge gamble at the time considering race relations), and was later responsible as an executive for getting Larry Bird, Robert Parish and Kevin McHale. Jackson inherited Jordan, Pippen, Bryant, and Shaq from previous regimes. So perhaps the argument can be made that Jackson is a better X/O's coach, but I think part of coaching is helping your team pick the right talent to field, not simply inheriting your top players from previous coaches/personnel.

Coaches are evlauated on coaching not being a GM. I'd give red a huge edge at picking players but that wasn't Phil's job.

I'm still in denial...I don't think I'll ever get over this ****. It's going to haunt me forever. Unless we take it next year. :( this sucks

I wore my shirt and hat proud today but everytime I think about this, it hurts so damn bad

It hurts now but when they start winning titles you will forget about this year.

Coaches are evlauated on coaching not being a GM.

I suppose so, but I am far more impressed by successful coaches who also picked their players compared to successful coaches who mostly inherited their players or received them due to an exceptional GM.

My last comment on Phil Jackson, and I regret not thinking of this earlier: We have no idea how he would fare with inferior talent in the pros (e.g., the Cavaliers) because the dude has only coached great players he inherited. It would be nice if we could run an experiment where Phil Jackson is the coach of the 2010-2011 Cavaliers so we can see how many games he can squeeze out of a pathetic squad compared to the actual mark set by Byron Scott. In all fairness, though, Jordan/Pippen and Bryant/Shaq underachieved before Jackson arrived.

I suppose so, but I am far more impressed by successful coaches who also picked their players compared to successful coaches who mostly inherited their players or received them due to an exceptional GM.

My last comment on Phil Jackson, and I regret not thinking of this earlier: We have no idea how he would fare with inferior talent in the pros (e.g., the Cavaliers) because the dude has only coached great players he inherited. It would be nice if we could run an experiment where Phil Jackson is the coach of the 2010-2011 Cavaliers so we can see how many games he can squeeze out of a pathetic squad compared to the actual mark set by Byron Scott. In all fairness, though, Jordan/Pippen and Bryant/Shaq underachieved before Jackson arrived.

Blitz,if by underachieving you mean not winning a title earlier....I'm not so sure about that....MJ.... would've had to beat a younger Larry Bird lead Celtics and younger Magic Johnson lead Lakers teams...MJ beat a hobbled Magic(and Scott) in 91'...call me a Homer,but I don't think Jordan beats...lets say 87'-88' 's Magic Johnson....I think it would've been interesting to see just how many of those 6 titles he gets had he entered the league at same time as Bird and Magic did...

Blitz,if by underachieving you mean not winning a title earlier....I'm not so sure about that....MJ.... would've had to beat a younger Larry Bird lead Celtics and younger Magic Johnson lead Lakers teams...MJ beat a hobbled Magic(and Scott) in 91'...call me a Homer,but I don't think Jordan beats...lets say 87'-88' 's Magic Johnson....I think it would've been interesting to see just how many of those 6 titles he gets had he entered the league at same time as Bird and Magic did...

I think it was '89 against detroit when Magic and Scott were hobbled. Would they have beaten '87 or '88 LA? Not '91 Chicago but maube '93 or '96. I'd still favor those Laker teams, I think the '87 squad was probably the best team I have seen in my lifetime but I'll give any team w/ Michael in his prime a chance.

And onto the offseason, assuming we have one. I think its pretty obvious that the Heat will target big men and point guards with whatever money they're allowed to use with the new CBA.

Available but likely to re-sign with current team:
Tyson Chandler
Jose Barea
Nene
Marc Gasol
DeAndre Jordan
Greg Oden
Rodney Stuckey

Available if MLE still exists:
Samuel Dalembert
Aaron Brooks
Patty Mills
Leandro Barbosa
Goran Dragic
Kris Humphries
Glen Davis

FYI PG Norris Cole of Cleveland State was drafted for you guys in the first. A lot of people feel he will be a steal

A source familiar with the situation confirmed Sunday to the Sun Sentinel that veteran center Eddy Curry has been working with the Miami Heat in recent days, as the Heat look at free-agent options.

By league rules, teams cannot currently work out free agents who finished the season on an NBA roster. Workouts of those types of free agents cannot begin until July 1, when a lockout is expected to be imposed, shutting down all league activity.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-eddy-curry-s062611,0,5144201.story

No summer league, so the Heat invite a bunch of scrubs for a 3 day tryout. Notables:

Norris Cole
Eddy Curry
Jarvis Varnado
Greg Smith

No Beverley.....guess drafting Cole put an end to that experiment.

sounds like if there is a mle in the new cba my celtics are gonna try and land samuel dalembert with it...

i hope my celtics don't pay big baby davis the 5 year $40 mil or so offer he's likely to land in free agency...big baby ticked me off this postseason with his play and multi year deal for $20 plus mil i say no thanks to...be nice if we could do some kind of sign and trade but i think in the end he's gonna walk for free

sounds like if there is a mle in the new cba my celtics are gonna try and land samuel dalembert with it...

i hope my celtics don't pay big baby davis the 5 year $40 mil or so offer he's likely to land in free agency...big baby ticked me off this postseason with his play and multi year deal for $20 plus mil i say no thanks to...be nice if we could do some kind of sign and trade but i think in the end he's gonna walk for free

To me, Big Baby is ultra expendable. I'd keep a close eye on the Big 3. I think you and I talked about this a while ago, but I'd be very tempted to break it up and start building for the future. You have Rondo, and Allen hasn't regressed much. See what you can get for Pierce and KG. If the price isn't right, stand pat . . . but I think there are teams that would really benefit from KG. I think he'd be a great fit for the Mavs. He wouldn't have to play too much during the regular season, and he'd be helpful in the playoffs as they try to repeat. They also are in that 'milk these last few years for what they're worth' phase. I just don't see Boston getting over the hump with out some fresh talent.

Back
Top Bottom