**Official CBA Thread II - Update: Owners Approve CBA!** | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

**Official CBA Thread II - Update: Owners Approve CBA!**

PhinstiGator said:
Quite possibly...they do have their uni's on.

Really? I don't recall seeing Tom Brady in his uniform in the MC commercial where he's at dinner. You bring up a good point, though -- I do believe that if the players show up in uniform, the entities creating the commercial have to have the permission of the league to use the league's intellectual property. That's why you don't see Marino in a big honking Dolphins uniform in that Papa Johns commercial as I understand it.

Really? What pecentage do they make?

Don't ask me percentages. To suggest the league doesn't benefit from positive publicity would be disingenuous.

Jimmy James said:
...Don't ask me percentages. To suggest the league doesn't benefit from positive publicity would be disingenuous.
It's certainly not a negative. But, is it a quantifiable positive that an NFL owner can place in his pocket? Probably not.

Obviously, you are not supportive of total revenue sharing.

nopony said:
Once more, every example you have given is about costs being greater than or equal to price... that is NOT costs defining price, that is costs determining a business is unviable.

You sell your product for what makes you the most money. Period.

If that price is less than your cost, you just don't have a business, has nothing to do with cost setting price.

Let me explain this to you:

If you will make the most profit by selling product X for one hunderd dollars per widgit... if that is your maximum profitable price point... then it DOES NOT MATTER what your cost is TO THE PRICE POINT. It matters to your business, sure... but not to the price.

Because if your cost per widget is 110, raising the price won't help because your maximum profit was at 100.... any more or less and you are losing money! What your cost is is completely irrelevant to the price point.

Dude is it you absolutely cannot admit that you are wrong?!?!? If price is less than cost you lse money -EXACTLY which is why cost is factored into price, so that your pricing never is less than cost. You then take your base price which is your cost and add your profit markup onto that. There are other factors as well. Profitable price point? and that doesnt factor in cost? Dude I am done arguing with you, econ is one part of it. I GUARENTEE YOUR WRONG THAT COST DOESNT FACTOR IN PRICING. If only by saying is it cost effective to sell it at this price. Your own widget example, if you have 100 per widget and that is your profit point, that model already considers cost, it isnt 100 profit per widget.

I know you obviously taken econ class, you obviously need cost accounting classes as well. Believe what you want, but NO company is going to ignore cost in its pricing model.

PhinstiGator said:
It's certainly not a negative. But, is it a quantifiable positive that an NFL owner can place in his pocket? Probably not.

It certainly is when the player wears the uniform like you mentioned and the merchant creating the commercial has to come to an agreement to the rights to the uniform image. Permission will be contingent on a fee, some other exchange, or will be granted on the basis that there will be a quantifiable benefit of some type. This is the bargained for exchange.

Obviously, you are not supportive of total revenue sharing.

Don't put words in my mouth.

rickeyrunsover said:
I know you obviously taken econ class, you obviously need cost accounting classes as well. Believe what you want, but NO company is going to ignore cost in its pricing model.

Of course they're not, but they can't just wave a magic wand and make the market respond in a manner that is inconsistent with the principles of economics just because the costs aren't favorable.

Jimmy James said:
Of course they're not, but they can't just wave a magic wand and make the market respond in a manner that is inconsistent with the principles of economics just because the costs aren't favorable.

I dont disagree with that at all. I agree with it, but to say costs are ignored in a pricing model is ridiculous. If the market will only bear an amount that is less than cost, then the venture isnt profitable and costs need to be adjusted or a diff market is required. You cant just say based on the market this what we can charge so do it regardless if we can recoup costs or not. Simple accounting expenses>revenue = deficit spending. kinda like the gov't.

rickeyrunsover said:
I dont disagree with that at all. I agree with it, but to say costs are ignored in a pricing model is ridiculous. If the market will only bear an amount that is less than cost, then the venture isnt profitable and costs need to be adjusted or a diff market is required. You cant just say based on the market this what we can charge so do it regardless if we can recoup costs or not. Simple accounting expenses>revenue = deficit spending. kinda like the gov't.

I think from that answer it seems clear that you two are dancing around the same subject saying different things only because you are looking at it from the perspective of the two different disciplines.

Jimmy James said:
I think from that answer it seems clear that you two are dancing around the same subject saying different things only because you are looking at it from the perspective of the two different disciplines.

Once again you are a wise one. That is exactly in a nutshell what I told him about 4 pages back. That what he says is true but that already factors cost into the model. When it seemed like we were getting around to saying that we agreed, he kept saying cost isnt factored at all, which kept confusing me cause he kept using cost in his examples.

Unbelievable, this is getting ridiculous. I think when this is all said and done, both threads should go into the Flippers Finest.

PhinstiGator said:
Brady and Manning are not making money "outside" of the game...they are making money because of the NFL. Face it...their acting ability is NOT that great. They are football stars... not actors.

I could care less about what Allen does with his fortune. But, for the record, Paul Allen's total philanthropy as of 2005 is estimated to be over $815 million

They are not making money because of the NFL, silly. If that was the case, second string punters would make the same advertising money that Tom Brady does.

They get hired for ads because of THEIR ability.

Sure there are low-rent local exceptions where anyone from the team will do... but your talking about pennies.

Why don't we stop being silly. the revenue the NFL makes belongs every bit as much to the players as it does the owners... it's not a matter of "sharing".

rickeyrunsover said:
Dude is it you absolutely cannot admit that you are wrong?!?!? If price is less than cost you lse money -EXACTLY which is why cost is factored into price, so that your pricing never is less than cost. You then take your base price which is your cost and add your profit markup onto that. There are other factors as well. Profitable price point? and that doesnt factor in cost? Dude I am done arguing with you, econ is one part of it. I GUARENTEE YOUR WRONG THAT COST DOESNT FACTOR IN PRICING. If only by saying is it cost effective to sell it at this price. Your own widget example, if you have 100 per widget and that is your profit point, that model already considers cost, it isnt 100 profit per widget.

:shakeno:

I'm not going to explain it to you again. If you don't get it by now, I just have to laugh and move on.

If you really care to understand, then read my last post again carefully. It's pretty clear.

Muck said:
Figured it was time to start a new thread.

Is that cool??

Hey. We were promised an upside down toenail hanging with some kind of a beating if anyone started a new CBA thread! Let's go Muck. You're up! :sidelol:

nopony said:
:shakeno:

I'm not going to explain it to you again. If you don't get it by now, I just have to laugh and move on.

If you really care to understand, then read my last post again carefully. It's pretty clear.

Ok dude think of this in lemonade

I want to start a lemonade stand and make a profit, sugar and all the ingredients cost me 50 cents lets say

I wouldnt sell the lemonade for 25 cents because I would be losing money

Owners wont pay players more than they can bring in in revenue, so how do they bring in more? they raise prices

Supply and demand, when an item is hot it goes for more, and when its sitting on the shelf gathering dust you slash prices, why do you think Some teams tickets are more expensive

Alex22 said:
Ok dude think of this in lemonade

I want to start a lemonade stand and make a profit, sugar and all the ingredients cost me 50 cents lets say

I wouldnt sell the lemonade for 25 cents because I would be losing money

Owners wont pay players more than they can bring in in revenue, so how do they bring in more? they raise prices

Supply and demand, when an item is hot it goes for more, and when its sitting on the shelf gathering dust you slash prices, why do you think Some teams tickets are more expensive

The answer to your scenario isn't raising prices -- it's shutting down the stand and finding something else to do with your time. If the market will only bear a quarter and your costs are twice that, you're destined to lose money no matter what.

nopony said:
They are not making money because of the NFL, silly. If that was the case, second string punters would make the same advertising money that Tom Brady does.

They get hired for ads because of THEIR ability.

Sure there are low-rent local exceptions where anyone from the team will do... but your talking about pennies.

Why don't we stop being silly. the revenue the NFL makes belongs every bit as much to the players as it does the owners... it's not a matter of "sharing".

I don't think it "belongs" to the players. They are employees. If they don't like the company, work for someone else. I have not taken the time to read back four pages so forgive me. Some of these owner helped to shape the NFL while these players were watching TV.

Also cost matters in price, but it does not have to. But there would have to be some other benefit besides the profitablity of a particular business division to make it make sense. We run a few business that do not make money but have other benefits. In simple business, you would want to think about cost for sure. I think the NFL is very much cost based on revenues amd market conditions.

Back
Top Bottom