Official Game Thread: United States vs Italy | Page 51 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Game Thread: United States vs Italy

ckb2001 said:
The game was ugly, but for the US it is an important part of history. I would rank the top two results the US has ever had as the 2-0 win over Mexico in the round of 16 last WC and the 1-0 win over England in 1950 (that was a HUGE upset).

But, the next two on my list are Portugal 3-2 last WC and US-Italy 1-1 yesterday (since Italy is really in a class above Portugal and Mexico - with a win that is easily with the above two results, but a tie puts it here.) You might ask why so much for a tie? Well, the US has NEVER gotten a point in a WC held in Europe and to do it in this fashion is amazing.

By the way, my next two are 1-0 against Brazil in the Gold Cup 1998 and 2-0 against Germany in the Confed Cup. Sadly those two weren't in the world cup or I'd put them at the top.
I understand and respect your opinion, the reason why I don't agree with you is because I dont consider that game, to be an example to how soccer should be played. That game took away the beauty of watching soccer, the nature of the of the game is not grabbing and pushing, reaching incredible height of disgust. If we are only looking at the final result, yes was good. I love soccer and i like to watch soccer games, indipendent who's playing, but that game was horrible. The efford, the intensity was there, but the energy was channel in the wrong direction.

first&goal said:
I understand and respect your opinion, the reason why I don't agree with you is because I dont consider that game, to be an example to how soccer should be played. That game took away the beauty of watching soccer, the nature of the of the game is not grabbing and pushing, reaching incredible height of disgust. If we are only looking at the final result, yes was good. I love soccer and i like to watch soccer games, indipendent who's playing, but that game was horrible. The efford, the intensity was there, but the energy was channel in the wrong direction.

Meaning u rather see Italy slow play the game, be creative and score goal upon goal on the U.S.. The Americans played the type of game they needed to play to get a result, whether pretty or not I think we can both agree it was extremely physical and presented a change a pace from the normal European/Italian type of play that we are used to seeing. The U.S. controlled the midfield when the players were even . . and u have to give Arena the credit for making the switches and implementing a new game plan for his team, they outplayed Italy, plain and simple and they earned that result.

Kdawg954 said:
Meaning u rather see Italy slow play the game, be creative and score goal upon goal on the U.S.. The Americans played the type of game they needed to play to get a result, whether pretty or not I think we can both agree it was extremely physical and presented a change a pace from the normal European/Italian type of play that we are used to seeing. The U.S. controlled the midfield when the players were even . . and u have to give Arena the credit for making the switches and implementing a new game plan for his team, they outplayed Italy, plain and simple and they earned that result.

Italy outplayed themselves. The fact that you guys are dwelling on a tie says enough to me.

B4 I get flamed here, I do give credit where due, and the US played us very well, but even if they play their best game, they still would not be able to compete if Italy plays their best.

Speaking of diff. style of play, A lot of people hated 02's Cup because it was a WC of surprises. With teams like Senegal and Korea doing more then expected. I prefer a WC with a few wrinkles than a WC with the same teams in it over and over.

Tone_E said:
Italy outplayed themselves. The fact that you guys are dwelling on a tie says enough to me.

B4 I get flamed here, I do give credit where due, and the US played us very well, but even if they play their best game, they still would not be able to compete if Italy plays their best.

When US plays its best, it is hard to see Italy playing its best ;)

Even when italy was beeing outplayed. Italy still had the best chances of scoring a goal.

Tone_E said:

It was an amazing tie, thats why we are dwelling on it . . down a man the whole second half against a top 5 world power and also considering the U.S. has never produced a result against a European team (let alone a powerhouse team) on European soil . . I mean I don't think abybody is saying the United States is better or has better talent than Italy, but its just goes to show u when the U.S. comes to play, they can hang with the best of them. And give credit where credit is due, the U.S. controlled the midfield the whole first half and gave Italy fits, the ITalians couldn't handle the physical play the U.S. brought to them and took them out of rhythm.

~soap~ said:
Even when italy was beeing outplayed. Italy still had the best chances of scoring a goal.

Not in the first half, I mean they scored the goal, but the U.S. had a bunch of chances . . of course in the second half Italy had more chances and outplayed the U.S. which is the case with most teams down a man.

Kdawg954 said:
It was an amazing tie, thats why we are dwelling on it . . down a man the whole second half against a top 5 world power and also considering the U.S. has never produced a result against a European team (let alone a powerhouse team) on European soil . . I mean I don't think abybody is saying the United States is better or has better talent than Italy, but its just goes to show u when the U.S. comes to play, they can hang with the best of them. And give credit where credit is due, the U.S. controlled the midfield the whole first half and gave Italy fits, the ITalians couldn't handle the physical play the U.S. brought to them and took them out of rhythm.

In football everybody can beat or tie everybody. Nine times out of ten the smaller countries don't. I mean just think about south korea.In football everything is possible, that's the beauty of it.

Kdawg954 said:
My point was not in reference to the final result or how Arena did preperare the team, was only about the game, was not pretty period. We also need to remember that Italy style of play, is to invite you to attack and counter attack you downfield, therefore do not surprise me if the USA took controll of the midfield. USA had controll of the ball for much longer time, but you tell me who create more occassions to score? The buttom line is that I was hoping to witness a better game, indipendent which team would have won.

USA outplays in your IMO Italy but did Buffon make 1 save??? I don't think so

Keller had to make to good saves off of Delpiero. So all your possesion did not amount to scoring chances

Well, you guys played very physical, much to Saban's liking. :)

But you cannot keep that up, or you will be in foul trouble if you advance to the elimination rounds. You are playing with fire, and will eventually have to rely on your bench. Don't know much about it, just surprised Beasely was sitting to start the game.

The USA is still the last time I looked in last place

As for CONCACAF I really do wish you guys would do better becasue 1 day it would be nice to see Canada back in this tournament, but facts are facts

Out of 8 CONCACAF games in the World Cup you guys have only won 1. Yes that is only 1 win out of 8 games. This is by far the weakest portion of the World

A few years ago we were better than Asia

About 15 years ago we were better or even with Africa

Even 2 years ago we were better than the Australia region

Now CONCACAF is the worst and this is the reason Mexico and USA are rated so high because the dropoff from those 2 to the rest of CONCACAF is tremendous

wpgfishfan said:
USA outplays in your IMO Italy but did Buffon make 1 save??? I don't think so

Keller had to make to good saves off of Delpiero. So all your possesion did not amount to scoring chances

The shots where off target..for the 1st half. Who knows how the 2nd half could've gone. All a bunch of what Ifs now. Just gotta look forward to Thursday.

Hey I'm a end my part of this thread like this . . U Italians keep winning and us Americans will keep winning and we will meet u again later in the World Cup . . first thing is first, ya'll beat the Chex and we will beat Ghana . . lets take it from there . . holla.

Back
Top Bottom