Offseason... (Draft - First Round) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offseason... (Draft - First Round)

finsnchips

2005 FinHeaven GM League Champion!!
Reaction score
First ever post, so I thought I'd basically give my opinions on my Dolphins...

This is a team in transition: our offense is awful but the talent that is there is all young (Williams, Chambers, McMichael), our defence is awesome (when they don't miss tackles) but ageing.

2003 Season: Coming from England, I only got to see nine of our games this season and I was unimpressed with every game I saw apart from massacre in Dallas. The offense did not produce, Fiedler and Griese are as bad as each other and without a QB you can't really get anywhere. Saying that it isn't easy for any QB who only has one WR and an O-Line that can't block. Ricky never really got going because of the O-Line. The defence was meant to be great and most of the time it lived up to expectations and kept us in games, but missed tackles in games against Houston, Tennessee, Indianapolis and Philadelphia cost us greatly. I won't talk about Olindo...

A team that needs to rebuild needs draft picks, we don't have very many. With a new GM at the helm hopefully we will not have to endure another disappointing and fruitless draft.

This is what I would look to do in the first round of the draft:

- Let Ogunleye leave for nothing less than a first round pick

- Two first round picks - Philip Rivers QB (NC State)
Vernon Carey G/T (Miami)

Leaving us with the QB of the future, and an NFL ready Offensive Lineman that can protect Rivers and make holes for Williams.

Other options: (Offense)

QB - Roethlisberger (Miami of Ohio) and Manning (Ole Miss) are long gone at this point

WR - needs help desperately. A possession receiver that has the ability to make plays - Michael Clayton (LSU)

O-Line - again, needs help desperately, but Gallery (Iowa) and Andrews (Arkansas) won't drop that far

Other options: (Defence)

D-Line - quality players are available, but it is not a big enough need unless a player like Tommie Harris (Oklahoma) falls

Linebacker - DJ Williams (Miami) or Teddy Lehman (Oklahoma) would provide serious talent. I would not be disappointed if either of these two are drafted

Secondary - Taylor (Miami) is not going to fall. Someone like Gamble (Ohio State) would be a useful addition, but after Jamar Flethcer...

Anyone's opinions? What do you see Miami doing in the first round?

IF.... if we get another first round for OGun, not saying he's not worth it, just that we may not let him go, but if we get that first, we should get Rivers and a WR. Michael Jenkins looks real good, and they should both be down around where we would be able to pick. After that, it's all luck....

I really don't see Rivers as a top 20 pick. I've read some sites who have him rated much, much lower. Carey is a stretch in round 1 as well.

Carey is a 1st round player, especially with Dave Baas' decision to stay at Michigan for his senior year. Carey's ability to play all along the line helps his cause and could be a very good LT or LG in this league.

Rivers is not a top 20 prospect, whilst Mike Jenkins is very raw and would take a number of season's to develop. Rashaun Woods and Lee Evans would make more sense as they are much more rounded, could start sooner, run better routes, etc. Michael Clayton isn't a possession receiver.

I don't see Miami using a 1st rounder on a LB so that would rule out Williams or Lehman as they are essentially top 40 picks.

I doubt Chris Gamble makes it to 20, plus, he's pretty raw at CB and unlikely to contribute early.

Tommie Harris doesn't fit our system at all. He's a 290lber who would get overwhelmed. Remember our system is big space eaters that allow Zach to flow to the ball. Harris, who is overrated, is not that sort of player at all.

Originally posted by Boomer
Carey is a 1st round player, especially with Dave Baas' decision to stay at Michigan for his senior year. Carey's ability to play all along the line helps his cause and could be a very good LT or LG in this league.

Rivers is not a top 20 prospect, whilst Mike Jenkins is very raw and would take a number of season's to develop. Rashaun Woods and Lee Evans would make more sense as they are much more rounded, could start sooner, run better routes, etc. Michael Clayton isn't a possession receiver.

I don't see Miami using a 1st rounder on a LB so that would rule out Williams or Lehman as they are essentially top 40 picks.

I doubt Chris Gamble makes it to 20, plus, he's pretty raw at CB and unlikely to contribute early.

Tommie Harris doesn't fit our system at all. He's a 290lber who would get overwhelmed. Remember our system is big space eaters that allow Zach to flow to the ball. Harris, who is overrated, is not that sort of player at all.

Boomer, You were excellent last year in introducing us to draft players and wanted to know of your thoughts on players at O-line, WR, QB and safety??

What do you think about Losman and Rivers??

Here ya go Rude.......These are my rankings for this years draft based on games and tapes viewed. They will be different to everyone elses, as everyone see's something in some players that others don't. As a footnote, I haven't seen Michael Turner at Norther Illinois or Jason Babin at Western Michigan or the Tuskegee kid at CB.

QB’s:
1. Ben Roethlisberger – Miami of Ohio *(Junior Declared)
2. Eli Manning – Ole Miss
3. JP Losman – Tulane
4. Kyle Orton – Purdue (Jr Staying)
5. David Greene – Georgia (Jr Likely Staying)
6. Andrew Walter – Arizona St (Jr undecided)
7. Phillip Rivers – NC State
8. Cody Pickett – Washington
9. Josh Harris – Bowling Green
10. Matt Schaub – Virginia

Guys I Also Like:
Ryan Dinwiddie – Boise St
Jared Lorenzen – Kentucky

TB’S:
1. Kevin Jones – Va Tech (Junior Declared)
2. Steven Jackson – Oregon St (Junior Declared)
3. Carnell Williams – Auburn (Junior Likely Returning)
4. Chris Perry – Michigan
5. Darren Sproles – K-State (Junior Returning)
6. Ronnie Brown – Auburn (Junior Undecided)
7. Cedric Cobbs – Arkansas
8. Cedric Benson – Texas (Junior Likely Leaving)
9. Quincy Wilson – West Virginia
10. Julius Jones – Notre Dame

Guys I Also Like:
Shaud Williams – Alabama
Jermaine Greene – WSU
Jason Wright – Northwestern
Greg Jones – FSU ** If 100%
Cedric Houston – Tennessee (Junior Likely Staying)

WR’s:
1. Larry Fitzgerald – Pitt (Red Soph Likely Leaving)
2. Roy Williams – Texas
3. Reggie Williams – Washington (Junior Declared)
4. Lee Evans – Wisconsin
5. Michael Clayton – LSU (Junior Likely Leaving)
6. Reggie Harrell – TCU (Junior Likely Staying)
7. Rashaun Woods – Oklahoma St
8. Keary Colbert – USC
9. Darius Watts – Marshall
10. Devery Henderson – LSU
11. Mark Clayton – Oklahoma (Junior Likely Staying)
12. Devard Darling – WSU (Junior Staying)
13. Michael Jenkins – Ohio State
14. James Newson – Oregon St
15. Braylon Edwards – Michigan (Junior Undecided)

Guys I Also Like:
John Standeford – Purdue
Wes Welker – Texas Tech
Chris Collins – Ole Miss

TE’s:
1. Kellen Winslow – Miami (Junior Declared)
2. Ben Troupe – Florida
3. Kris Wilson – Pitt
4. Ben Watson – Georgia
5. Ben Hartsock – Ohio St
6. Tim Euhus – Oregon St
7. Sean Ryan – BC

Guy I Also Like:
Bobby Blizzard – North Carolina

OT’s:
1. Robert Gallery – Iowa
2. Shawn Andrews – Arkansas (Junior Declared)
3. Jammal Brown – Oklahoma (Junior Undecided)
4. Nat Dorsey – Georgia Tech (Junior Declared)
5. Alex Barron – FSU (Junior Declared)
6. Tony Pape – Michigan
7. Jacob Rogers – USC
8. Carlos Joseph – Miami
9. Travelle Wharton – South Carolina
10. Antonio Hall – Kentucky
11. Brian Rimpf – East Carolina
12. Mark Wilson – Cal

Guys I Also Like:
Ben Herrell – Miami of Ohio
Rodney Reed – LSU

OG’s:
1. Vernon Carey – Miami (May play T in NFL)
2. David Baas – Michigan (Junior Undecided)
3. CJ Brooks – Maryland (Junior Undecided)
4. Adrien Clarke – Ohio State
5. Chris Snee – Boston College
6. Regis Crawford – Arizona St
7. Stephen Peterman – LSU

Guy I Also Like:
Elton Brown - Virginia

OC’s:
1. Ben Wilkerson – LSU (Junior Undecided)
2. Jake Grove – Va Tech
3. Nick Leckey – K-State
4. Alex Stepanovich – Ohio State
5. Eric Rothwell – Iowa

DE’s
1. Kenechi Udezi – USC (Junior Undecided)
2. Will Smith – Ohio St
3. David Pollack – Georgia (Junior Undecided)
4. Dan Cody – Oklahoma (Junior Undecided)
5. Antwan Odom – Alabama (Junior Declared)
6. Darrion Scott – Ohio State
7. Marcus Spears – LSU (Junior Undecided)
8. Dave Ball – UCLA
9. Shaun Phillips – Purdue
10. Nathanial Adibi – Va Tech

Guys I Also Like :
Chris Canty – Virginia
Bill Swancutt – Oregon State (Junior Likely Staying)

DT’s
1. Randy Starks – Maryland (Junior Undecided)
2. Dwan Edwards – Oregon State
3. Antajj Hawthorne – Wisconsin (Junior Likely to Declare)
4. Rodney Leisle – UCLA
5. Vince Wilfork – Miami (Junior Declared)
6. Tommy Harris – Oklahoma (Junior Likely to Declare)
7. Isaac Sopoaga – Hawaii
8. Chad Lavalais – LSU
9. Tim Anderson – Ohio State
10. Darnell Dockett – FSU

Guys I Also Like:
Ahmad Childress – Alabama (Junior Declared)
Ken Veal – Georgia
**Not Seen Tommy Kelly in 2003/4

OLB:
1. Jon Vilma – Miami
2. Demorrio Williams – Nebraska
3. Derrick Johnson – Texas (Junior Likely Leaving)
4. Teddy Lehman – Oklahoma
5. Karlos Dansby – Auburn
6. Michael Boulware – FSU
7. DJ Williams – Miami
**Lance Mitchell (Oklahoma) would have been top 5 but for torn ACL.

Guys I Also Like:
Josh Buhl – K-State
Kendyll Pope – FSU

ILB:
1. Courtney Watson – Notre Dame
2. Daryl Smith – Georgia Tech
3. Lionel Turner – LSU (Junior Likely Staying)

CB’s:
1. Will Poole – USC
2. Kiewan Ratliff – Florida
3. Marlin Jackson – Michigan (Junior Undecided)
4. Antrel Rolle – Miami (Junior Undecided)
5. Dunta Robinson – South Carolina
6. DeAngelo Hall – Va Tech (Junior Declared)
7. Chris Gamble – Ohio State (Junior Declared)
8. Derrick Strait - Oklahoma
9. Antonio Perkins – Oklahoma (Junior Likely Staying)
10. Cory Webster - LSU (Likely Staying)

S:
1. Sean Taylor – Miami (Junior Declared)
2. Sean Jones – Georgia (Junior Likely to Stay)
3. Stuart Schweigert – Purdue
4. Glenn Earl – Notre Dame
5. Bob Sanders – Iowa
6. Donte Nicholson – Oklahoma (Junior Likely Staying)
7. Jason Shivers – Arizona State (Junior Undecided)
8. Rashad Washington – K-State
9. Will Allen – OSU

Not Seen:
Jamaal Brimmer – UNLV

Guys I Also Like:
Marquise Cooper - Washington
Kentrell Curry - Georgia
Gibril Wilson – Tennessee

Boomer.. I know Losman has tremendous physical ability, but I heard the kid is a cancer.. Very arrogant and not a type of player to have consistant success, a rollercoaster ride if you will during a season and they point to his arrogance as part of it and his "me first" attitude..

To you.. Whats the difference between Losman and Rivers??

How far do you think Lance Mitchell will drop with his injury?? Miami likes picking u those players with injuries in late rounds and allow them to heal for about a year or two (Ogunleye for example)

Wow! David Greene ahead of Rivers, Dinwiddie and Schaub?

Rude - this is my take on Losman. He is ****y without being arrogant. He certainly isn't a cancer. He is incredibly hard working, but just had some trouble at UCLA.

He was a Bruin fan as a birthright, always wanted to be a Bruin and was offered a scholarship by Bob Toledo apparently after the morning practice at a one-day camp during the summer after his junior season. The story goes that by dinner time he had committed.

The Bruins stopped chasing Kyle Boller who went to Cal and Chris Lewis who went to Stanford as Losman was THE guy in California. The #1 rated high school QB. He graduated early from Venice High to enroll at UCLA and it was post Cade McNown and he thought he would come in and challenge for the starters job - but he was 5th on the depth chart behind Drew Bennett, Scott McEwan, Ryan McCann and Cory Paus and he was rightfully concerned there was a log jam at QB that he might never get out of. I think the pressure of trying to be THE guy, with all his family on the sidelines, the local wonder kid, etc got to him. Apparently some players resented the image that he had as the glory boy from high school and he decided to leave for Tulane. The UCLA coaches were hacked off, but he went straight to Tulane, almost took Pat Ramsey's job - although the two don't really get on, Ramsey has admitted that Losman pushed him harder than he ever has been pushed and was one of the reasons he ended in the 1st round.

At Toledo he has done everything and more that has been asked of him, with really bad supporting cast. He's tough, his offensive players LOVE him, he has the cannon and is a leader. I read an article in the LA Times a while back that said he was given so much attention that at 16 years old he just couldn't deal with it and transferred not because he thought he should be the #1 but because he thought the pressure was driving him crazy at 16. I can understand that. His coaches at Tulane love him, he pushes everyone around him. I sat on a flight back from Boston in the summer and read ESPN the Magazine's article on him and he sounded a good guy.

This comment sums him up in my eyes:
"His name is J.P. Losman, and he's no flake. He was considered one of the top three high school quarterbacks in the nation, an academic whiz, a genuine good guy who didn't drink or miss church and only recently had the nerve to get an earring. He just felt he made a mistake. After all, you don't usually marry the first girl you set your eyes on."

IMO he would be a tremendous 1st round pick for the Dolphins. And he's a much better pro prospect than Rivers.

As for Lance Mitchell - probably mid to late day 1. He was a likely 1st rounder and the Ogunleye situation has shown teams that guys can recover and be a success. I would imagine that he will be seriously checked out at the Combine and we'll know more then.

Schaub is a heady riser and could well get into the top 40 at WORST by draft day. I don't care much for his delivery. Dinwiddie is a marginal prospect - not an NFL starter in my eyes. I think Greene has the potential to be a very good QB with the right coaching. He needs to get rid of the ball quicker and cut out the mental mistakes, but he has 1st round skills. I'm glad for his sake that he's going back to Georgia.

Boomer.. All I know about Losman is what I read from articles and stuff so your points are appreciated and thats why I asked for your opinion.. Physically, what did you like about Losman then??

Last edited by a moderator:
Boomer.. You say Losman is a better prospect in the NFL than Rivers.. Does that make Rivers a bad NFL prospect?? What are your thoughts of Rivers and his style for the NFL??

I like his toughness; you can't help but like his arm; I like his cojones - he's not afraid to call a guy out; I like the fact that he stands in the pocket till the last minute to deliver strikes but can also move around and get out of trouble. He's got a quick delivery and gets the ball out in a hurry, with solid mechanics - follows thru well, etc. He's a very bright kid and he has the great size. He's excitable and the fact that he is a high energy guy would be good for this team. A guy like Randy McMichael would love this guy. He might be a bit brash for Ricky, but he would appreciate the injection of energy. He forces the odd ball and played a lot from the gun, but then so did Byron Leftwich and Jonathan was recruited as a pro passer to UCLA after playing a pro style system at Venice High.

I personally have concerns that Rivers can be an NFL starter. I don't like his mechanics, I think the ball comes out so low that he will get plenty of passes batted and picked at the line. He doesn't have the great arm, he doesn't follow through and his delivery, whilst quick is awkward. He rarely steps into his throws and they come out wobbly at times. The flatter trajectory could lead to more picks at times. He's a great college QB, I'm just not sure that translates to the pros. It will be fascinating to see what happens at the Senior Bowl practices. I don't see him as a viable pick for Miami in R1.

Back
Top Bottom