Offseason MLB rumors | Page 122 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offseason MLB rumors

Boone had that hit and if I were to equate it to a Red Sox moment during that playoff run I think I recall Dave Roberts stealing a huge base in one of the games vs the Yankees. The Yankees/Red Sox in the playoffs is bigger than the World Series. As an "outsider" I can recall Yankees vs Red Sox games or moments in the playoffs but I can't remember anything about the Red Sox vs Cardinals. As a White Sox fan I remember more about the run than some of the WS games. El Duque coming in vs the Red Sox was probably the highlight of that playoff run.

Keith Foulke was very underrated. He was pretty good everywhere he pitched. I remember him as a White Sox and if i'm not mistaken he was traded to Oakland for Billy Koch. I think Foulke needed out of Chicago but Billy Koch was a disaster for the White Sox. He should never have to buy a beer in Boston again but I don't think he should be a Red Sox legend .

Oakland fans don't think too highly of Foulke. He threw a homer ball in the playoffs when they had the Red Soz beat.

He should be a hero in Boston though. The guy pitched his guts out and was, in my opinion, one of the MAIN reasons the sox won a Series.

Boone had that hit and if I were to equate it to a Red Sox moment during that playoff run I think I recall Dave Roberts stealing a huge base in one of the games vs the Yankees. The Yankees/Red Sox in the playoffs is bigger than the World Series. As an "outsider" I can recall Yankees vs Red Sox games or moments in the playoffs but I can't remember anything about the Red Sox vs Cardinals. As a White Sox fan I remember more about the run than some of the WS games. El Duque coming in vs the Red Sox was probably the highlight of that playoff run.

That's funny you mention Roberts' steal because that one play has made him a Red Sox Legend. But it will be remembered as the biggest stolen base ever, even more amazing is that everyone in the ballpark knew he was stealing so all eyes were on him.

And yes good call about El Duque coming in and shutting down the Red Sox in 2005. If he didn't shut the door in that inning and if the Red Sox came back and won the game I really believe they would have won the next game with Schilling starting and maybe take the series.

Oakland fans don't think too highly of Foulke. He threw a homer ball in the playoffs when they had the Red Soz beat.

He should be a hero in Boston though. The guy pitched his guts out and was, in my opinion, one of the MAIN reasons the sox won a Series.

Without question. No Foulke = no championship.

That's funny you mention Roberts' steal because that one play has made him a Red Sox Legend. But it will be remembered as the biggest stolen base ever, even more amazing is that everyone in the ballpark knew he was stealing so all eyes were on him.

And yes good call about El Duque coming in and shutting down the Red Sox in 2005. If he didn't shut the door in that inning and if the Red Sox came back and won the game I really believe they would have won the next game with Schilling starting and maybe take the series.

I thought Boston would comeback and win the series. It was bases loaded no-outs if I remember correctly. That was as valuable of a play the White Sox had during that run aside from maybe Pierzynski in game 2 vs LAA. He didn't pitch in another game. El Duque is probably like 45 and he could be awful during the regular season but in the playoffs he's at a different level.

Back to actual current baseball. Listening to Rome the other day he brought up that Matsuzaka or however it's spelled pitched a complete game 17 innings in high school. Throwing around 250 pitches. Not to go soft I believe he also closed the next game.

I thought Boston would comeback and win the series. It was bases loaded no-outs if I remember correctly. That was as valuable of a play the White Sox had during that run aside from maybe Pierzynski in game 2 vs LAA. He didn't pitch in another game. El Duque is probably like 45 and he could be awful during the regular season but in the playoffs he's at a different level.

Back to actual current baseball. Listening to Rome the other day he brought up that Matsuzaka or however it's spelled pitched a complete game 17 innings in high school. Throwing around 250 pitches. Not to go soft I believe he also closed the next game.

Not only that but the next day he threw a complete game no hitter to win the championship. That must have been unreal to watch which everyone in Japan did as those games were on national TV. Apparently the high school baseball tournament is as big in Japan as March Madness is in the US so it shows that the kid could handle the pressure even in that young age.

Who can remember anything from Red Sox vs Expos.....oh wait, that was the Cardinals. My bad.

And Boone's moment was MUCH bigger than Roberts just as a single play . Boone was a game 7, extra inning walk off home run to knock a team out of the playoffs. Roberts play was big in the big picture, but at that time his team was down 3-0 in the series and in the game and he helped his team win THAT game (which didn't knock NY out) but he didn't make the play that won that game and or series. He helped, but it wasn't the knockout punch play.

Yeah, and Hideki Irabu threw over 200 pitches in a game once in Japan and when he hit 200 pitches the speed of that 200th pitch was high 90's. I take ALL of those stories that come out of Japan with a grain of salt.

Yeah, and Hideki Irabu threw over 200 pitches in a game once in Japan and when he hit 200 pitches the speed of that 200th pitch was high 90's. I take ALL of those stories that come out of Japan with a grain of salt.

Grain of salt? What are you talking about? Stories coming out of Japan? The thing was on National TV in Japan!

Come on man you have to admit that's impressive to throw a 17 inning complete game throwing over 250 pitches, then the next day getting the save for your team and then the very next day pitching a complete game no hitter to win the national high school championship.

I don't care if that's little league, junior high, high school, MLB, etc in any country that's impressive as hell.

Grain of salt? What are you talking about? Come on man you have to admit that's impressive to throw a 17 inning complete game throwing over 250 pitches, then the next day getting the save for your team and then the very next day pitching a complete game no hitter to win the national high school championship.

I don't care if that's little league, junior high, high school, MLB, etc in any country that's impressive as hell.

It's impressive but you don't know the level of competition. It is HIGH SCHOOL baseball. And it doesn't translate to him now having MLB success. The game is played so differently over there that while those stories are nice .....but at the end of the day it means nothing.

Igewa the guy the Yanks signed was the K leader in Japan last year I believe. Does that mean he will come here and be say in the Top 10 in K's in MLB??? Hell no!!!!!!

All of those stories that come out of Japan are nice. But you can't use them as an indicator as anything (especially pitchers). Irabu is the perfect example of that. His stories out of Japan were legendary as well........and well, we know how he did over here!

It's impressive but you don't know the level of competition. It is HIGH SCHOOL baseball. And it doesn't translate to him now having MLB success. The game is played so differently over there that while those stories are nice .....but at the end of the day it means nothing.

Igewa the guy the Yanks signed was the K leader in Japan last year I believe. Does that mean he will come here and be say in the Top 10 in K's in MLB??? Hell no!!!!!!

All of those stories that come out of Japan are nice. But you can't use them as an indicator as anything (especially pitchers). Irabu is the perfect example of that. His stories out of Japan were legendary as well........and well, we know how he did over here!

Who said anything about it translating to his success in the MLB or using it as an indicator? All DJ said was what he heard on Rome or whatever show he was watching.

Anyway we'll find out in a couple of months what he can bring to the table, no use arguing about it now because really no one knows.

Who said anything about it translating to his success in the MLB or using it as an indicator? All DJ said was what he heard on Rome or whatever show he was watching.

Anyway we'll find out in a couple of months what he can bring to the table, no use arguing about it now because really no one knows.

And Im not knocking the guy. I just said take those stories with a grain of salt. Because we don't know the "whole story" behind it. That's all I SAID!!

And thankfully I won't have to talk about him much if at all because just like last year, I won't be posting in the Boston Red Sox thread this season!!!

And Im not knocking the guy. I just said take those stories with a grain of salt. Because we don't know the "whole story" behind it. That's all I SAID!!

And thankfully I won't have to talk about him much if at all because just like last year, I won't be posting in the Boston Red Sox thread this season!!!

I still don't understand the take it with a grain of salt, it was on TV for everyone to see, so I don't know what the "whole story" behind it would even mean. It's not an urban legend like Ruth calling his shot or Kirk Gibson taking batting practice in the cage before Game 1 of the WS and falling down because he was so hurt yet could have a 15 pitch at bat again Eck and hit a homerun to win the game.

Yes I understand it's high school but still a no hitter is a no hitter in any league and that was after a 17 inning complete game and a save the day before.

I still don't understand the take it with a grain of salt, it was on TV for everyone to see. It's not an urban legend like Ruth calling his shot or Kirk Gibson taking batting practice in the cage before Game 1 of the WS and falling down because he was so hurt yet could have a 15 pitch at bat again Eck and hit a homerun to win the game.

Yes I understand it's high school but still a no hitter is a no hitter in any league and that was after a 17 inning complete game and a save the day before.

The level of competition of those high school kids. Was he a Lebron James type playing a bunch of midgets?? Was the playing field equal???? Was he on one of those high school teams that recruit going up against a bunch of rag tag high school "regular" teams. I mean.........who knows. That is why I take it with a grain of salt.

What Matsuzaka did was great but I just want to say that no hitters are thrown in high school all the time (at least in the U.S.). What he did was impressive though, u got to give him props for that. But as I said, no hitters are thrown in high school all the time. My senior year our best pitcher threw 3!

Back
Top Bottom