Offseason MLB rumors | Page 124 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offseason MLB rumors

That thing about Matsuzaka is ridiculous. Regardless of the level of competition. Just in comparing to High School baseball in the United States if a coach had a guy throw 125 pitches I think he'd be in trouble with the AD. Now if he had him pitch the next day he'd probably get some reckless endangerement crap against him.

I get sick of Yankees/Red Sox crap being the only thing relevant with the National media in baseball. Unfortunately Yankees/Red Sox is good for the sport, more specifically casual fans.

Although because i'm a White Sox fan i'll be a homer and say that the AL Central is loaded.

It's gonna be a loooooong year, Uni. What are we going to do?

I have a solution: everybody make nice and support the MARLINS! Yay! :D

Nah, I'll let them tear each other to shreds...it adds some entertainemt in the mids of a long season.

Besides, I'll be busy hoping for a healthy year from Harden, Chavvy, Bradley and Crosby.:lol:

Here are some tidbits about how popular Koshien is in Japan..

These nationwide tournaments enjoy widespread popularity, arguably equal to or greater than professional baseball. Qualifying tournaments are often televised locally and each game of the final stage at Kōshien is televised nationally on NHK. The tournaments have become a national tradition, and large numbers of frenzied students and parents travel from hometowns to cheer for their local team. It a common sight to see players walking off the field in tears after being eliminated from the tournament by a loss.
The star players of the championship team achieve a degree of celebrity status. For the players, playing at Kōshien is the door to playing at the professional level. Due to the recruiting practices of Japanese high schools, top prospects often play on strong teams that are able to reach the final tournament at Kōshien. Several professional baseball stars first made their mark at Kōshien, including Ichiro, Hideki Matsui, and Daisuke Matsuzaka.

And Im not knocking the guy. I just said take those stories with a grain of salt. Because we don't know the "whole story" behind it. That's all I SAID!!

And thankfully I won't have to talk about him much if at all because just like last year, I won't be posting in the Boston Red Sox thread this season!!!

oh boo freakin' hoo. It's a rivalry, you should be posting in there. Both Yankees fans and Red Sox fans will be posting in both threads going back and forth with eachother. It's supposed to be that way. No reason to shy away from it.

Here are some tidbits about how popular Koshien is in Japan..

These nationwide tournaments enjoy widespread popularity, arguably equal to or greater than professional baseball. Qualifying tournaments are often televised locally and each game of the final stage at Kōshien is televised nationally on NHK. The tournaments have become a national tradition, and large numbers of frenzied students and parents travel from hometowns to cheer for their local team. It a common sight to see players walking off the field in tears after being eliminated from the tournament by a loss.
The star players of the championship team achieve a degree of celebrity status. For the players, playing at Kōshien is the door to playing at the professional level. Due to the recruiting practices of Japanese high schools, top prospects often play on strong teams that are able to reach the final tournament at Kōshien. Several professional baseball stars first made their mark at Kōshien, including Ichiro, Hideki Matsui, and Daisuke Matsuzaka.

Good post and find.

oh boo freakin' hoo. It's a rivalry, you should be posting in there. Both Yankees fans and Red Sox fans will be posting in both threads going back and forth with eachother. It's supposed to be that way. No reason to shy away from it.

But there are RULES around here and things always get out of control. Things get blown up and I'm not gonna be the one responsible for good people getting banned or pts against them or anything like that.

Christ, all I said the other night was take all of these stories out of Japan with a grain of salt and my god WWIII started up. For a simple little comment like that!! :lol: :lol:

I will just stay in my Yankee thread and far away from the Red Sox thread. Lot less problems that way

The Twins and reigning American League MVP Justin Morneau will resume talks on a multiyear contract during spring training. Mark Pieper, Morneau's agent, spoke with the Twins over the weekend, and the Twins confirmed their interest in trying to get a deal done after offseason talks broke down. Instead of signing a long-term deal then, the Twins and Morneau agreed to a one-year, $4.5 million contract to avoid arbitration. The Twins are in better shape to reopen talks now that they have reached deals with all of their arbitration-eligible players, including catcher Joe Mauer, who agreed to a four-year, $33 million deal that could be within range of what it would take to sign Morneau. Indications are that talks will end once the regular season begins, but the Twins have negotiated some deals during the season.

http://www.benmaller.com/archives/2007/february/19#133255

Despite Roger Clemens' recent statement that he is leaning 80-20 toward retirement, Astros owner Drayton McLane remained optimistic about the future Hall of Famer returning to pitch in 2007. Three years ago, McLane got Clemens to sign with the Astros after the veteran righthander had declared himself 99.9 percent leaning toward retirement. "I remember three years ago when he was fully retired from the Yankees, and I approached him and (wife) Debbie about becoming a Houston Astro," McLane said. "His quotation that he said was that he was '99.9 percent' that he wouldn't play. He has played great for three years. Yesterday, (Saturday) seeing where he said that he was '80-20,' I said, 'Boy, that's encouraging.' We'll just have to see what unfolds in the next few weeks or months."
http://www.benmaller.com/archives/2007/february/19#133255

Phillies MVP Ryan denied ever using steroids, but declined to accept the mantle of Mr. Clean in baseball's postjuice world. Then, he gave an implicit endorsement to the accomplishments of the poster boys of the Steroid Era - Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire, a pair of his boyhood heroes. Bonds, the focus of baseball's recent steroids controversy, stands 21 homers shy of Aaron's record of 755 career homers. Will it be good for baseball if Bonds breaks the mark? "Why not?" Howard responded, his megawatt smile momentarily fading. "Has he been tested positive? Has it come up that he's tested positive? Has there been anything in the newspaper where it said he's positive? On steroids?" Well, he is under investigation for allegedly perjuring himself by saying he never knowingly took steroids. And one report says he tested positive for amphetamines last season. Nevertheless, Howard persisted: "There's no hardcore, positive yes that he's tested positive for steroids?... I'm simple. Either you've tested positive or you haven't. If he hasn't tested positive, then, yeah [it would be good]. Definitely." And his reaction if it is revealed that Bonds has tested positive? Howard's head dived into the sand. "I'll probably be asleep," he said. "I really wouldn't get into that." Howard seemed disappointed that Big Mac - who once admitted to using a substance later classified as a steroid - fell far short of qualifying for induction in the Baseball Hall of Fame last month. Howard, a St. Louis native and a Cardinals fan growing up, declined to say what he would have done with a vote. "If I had a vote, I'd probably have been sick that day," Howard said.

Red Sox manager Terry Francona announced yesterday that Daisuke Matsuzaka will most likely start against Boston College in the March 2 exhibition game (6:05 p.m.) at City Of Palms Park. The former Seibu Lions star, who threw off the bullpen mound for the first time yesterday at the Sox’ minor-league complex, is being lined up to face BC, followed by a start against the Florida Marlins on March 6 in Jupiter, Fla. “We don’t look too far in advance, but I think the first week the starters will know where they are,” Francona said. “We don’t necessarily announce that far in advance because of weather and things like that.” Pitching coach John Farrell told the Japanese media over the weekend that if there are no setbacks this spring, Matsuzaka could pitch the third game of the regular season in Kansas City on April 5.

Back
Top Bottom