Offseason MLB rumors | Page 125 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offseason MLB rumors

Dontrelle Willis, the only 20-game winner in Marlins history, is coming off a 12-12 season, and trying to put some distance between himself and his first off-field incident. Willis, who was arrested for driving while under the influence of alcohol two months ago, said Sunday he didn't feel pressure to prove or redeem himself. ''Not at all,'' Willis, 25, said. ``I am going to continue to leave my heart on the field and hopefully that's enough. If not, then hey, I'm only going to do the best I can do. ``I'm not going to go out here and try to be Superman and climb fences and all that stuff. I'm going to continue to sign autographs like I did the year before and play hard like I did the year before.'' Clearly, he wants to put the incident behind him, and on the first day of scheduled spring training workouts, Willis expected to have to answer the predictable questions.

Red Sox Matt Clement is making a quicker than expected return from Sept. 26 right shoulder surgery, but still isn’t ready to take part in drills with the other pitchers. The right-hander, who was limited to 12 starts last season (5-5, 6.61 ERA), is working in the weight room and is expected to begin a throwing program sometime in March. It is still far too early to project when Clement might be ready to return to duty

Alex Rodriguez never said he wouldn't exercise his contractual right to opt out of the final three seasons of his contract following this year. However, he did say he wanted to be part of the 2009 Yankees. "I want to be a Yankee and I understand my contract and I understand my options," Rodriguez said. "My goal is to go in with Derek [Jeter] and Mo [Mariano Rivera] and open the new [Yankee] Stadium. It's pretty clear." Agent Scott Boras probably didn't want to hear that, because Boras thrives in the free agent market and would likely get A-Rod more than the $71 million he would be leaving on the table if he opts out in November.

Braves 3B Chipper Jones on Andruw Jones and John Smoltz being eligible for free agency after the season, and the possibility of prospective new owner Liberty Media increasing payroll to re-sign them: "I'd obviously like to see us keep both of them. You're talking about two guys who've been lifelong Braves; it's not a hard decision, to me. I do think they'd stay here if the money's competitive. "If I had a hunch, I'd say both of 'em will stay. But ... if [Smoltz] is pushed, he will [leave]."

http://www.benmaller.com/archives/2007/february/20#133418

Mets OF Moises Alou doesn't credit any miracle diet or magic elixir for his ability to remain one of the game's most accomplished hitters at the age of 40, according to NEWSDAY. He doesn't scarf down egg whites by the dozens like Julio Franco. Or run beyond the brink of exhaustion like Orlando Hernandez.
His secret? Alou counts the calories on the side of a 12-ounce can.
"I drink light beer," he said.

This almost certainly is the beginning of the end of Torii Hunter's tenure in Minnesota. Hunter, 31, is entering the final year of his contract after the Twins exercised a $12 million option. He said there are too many other key contracts on the Twins' priority list and knows there probably won't be enough money left over to keep him in Minnesota. "I ain't stupid," said Hunter, reiterating that he would like to spend his entire career with the Twins. "I know how this organization works. But (team owner Carl) Pohlad might just say, 'I'll sell one of my buildings,' so anything's possible. But (contractually) I'm here for one more year, so I'm trying to enjoy it and win a World Series." Hunter said he has not talked to the club about an extension and doesn't expect to before the season begins. General manager Terry Ryan said it's "not necessarily" a foregone conclusion that Hunter will be gone after this season but declined further comment.

http://www.benmaller.com/archives/2007/february/21#133711

Curt Schilling said he plans to file for free agency after the season if he doesn’t receive a contract extension before the end of spring training but it appears the Red Sox are not in a hurry to give him one. Even though talks between Schilling, who will be paid $13 million this season, and general manager Theo Epstein are under way, Sox chairman Tom Werner said the team is more likely to wait and see how the 40-year-old looks on the mound this season before issuing an extension. “It’s understandable that a player would be wanting to talk to management about extending a contract,” said Werner, who arrived yesterday with fellow owners John Henry and Larry Lucchino. “It’s also understandable for us to take a peek before giving him more of a ‘yes’ answer.”

http://www.benmaller.com/archives/2007/february/21#133711

Tigers OF Gary Sheffield ripped his former Yanks manager: "Joe [Torre] took the fire out of me," Sheffield told The Post yesterday at ProPeak Fitness, where he spent the winter chiseling his 38-year-old body getting ready for the first season as a Tiger. He was dealt for three young arms. "I am running out on the field with the extra players. Think of what was going through my head. It takes the fight out of you. I have been through a lot. To tell me that I had to run out with the extra players, that took it to another level. I wanted to make sure I didn't lash out and affect the team, but the way we played it looked like we were affected already."

Tigers OF Gary Sheffield ripped his former Yanks manager: "Joe [Torre] took the fire out of me," Sheffield told The Post yesterday at ProPeak Fitness, where he spent the winter chiseling his 38-year-old body getting ready for the first season as a Tiger. He was dealt for three young arms. "I am running out on the field with the extra players. Think of what was going through my head. It takes the fight out of you. I have been through a lot. To tell me that I had to run out with the extra players, that took it to another level. I wanted to make sure I didn't lash out and affect the team, but the way we played it looked like we were affected already."

Memo to Sheff: GET OVER IT AND MOVE ON!!!

Curt Schilling said he plans to file for free agency after the season if he doesn’t receive a contract extension before the end of spring training but it appears the Red Sox are not in a hurry to give him one. Even though talks between Schilling, who will be paid $13 million this season, and general manager Theo Epstein are under way, Sox chairman Tom Werner said the team is more likely to wait and see how the 40-year-old looks on the mound this season before issuing an extension. “It’s understandable that a player would be wanting to talk to management about extending a contract,†said Werner, who arrived yesterday with fellow owners John Henry and Larry Lucchino. “It’s also understandable for us to take a peek before giving him more of a ‘yes’ answer.â€Â

Taking the Mariano approach!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Taking the Mariano approach!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't really understand it.. These guys want to get paid, but will take a small discount and only want 2 year deals. Both teams should be bending over backwards to get these deals done, we blow 2 years and 25 million on a annual basis. Atleast if these guys stay healthy you will get a decent return and the intangibles to the club, you can't measure.

This almost certainly is the beginning of the end of Torii Hunter's tenure in Minnesota. Hunter, 31, is entering the final year of his contract after the Twins exercised a $12 million option. He said there are too many other key contracts on the Twins' priority list and knows there probably won't be enough money left over to keep him in Minnesota. "I ain't stupid," said Hunter, reiterating that he would like to spend his entire career with the Twins. "I know how this organization works. But (team owner Carl) Pohlad might just say, 'I'll sell one of my buildings,' so anything's possible. But (contractually) I'm here for one more year, so I'm trying to enjoy it and win a World Series." Hunter said he has not talked to the club about an extension and doesn't expect to before the season begins. General manager Terry Ryan said it's "not necessarily" a foregone conclusion that Hunter will be gone after this season but declined further comment.

Pretty sure the Sox will be after either Hunter or A. Jones next offseason depending on how much these guys want. Not many other teams with money will be in the market for aging centerfielders. I would love Andruw Jones, but he is gonna want to get paid bigtime.

Pretty sure the Sox will be after either Hunter or A. Jones next offseason depending on how much these guys want. Not many other teams with money will be in the market for aging centerfielders. I would love Andruw Jones, but he is gonna want to get paid bigtime.

Jones yes. Hunter please no, he's overrated and isn't good at the dish. Plus his range isn't what it once was due to all the ankle/leg/knee injuries the past few years.

A lot also depends on how Coco does this year and how close Ellsbury is too.

Back
Top Bottom