Offseason MLB rumors | Page 44 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offseason MLB rumors

Ray Finkle said:
This is what I don't understand from the Dodger's side of things. They're getting Manny Freakin' Ramirez. He'll turn their team and lineup from average to very good.

Also let's assume that the Red Sox trade Manny for just Broxton. So you have Manny in LF, Pierre in CF and Loney, Ether and Kemp fighting for 1 OF spot. Nomar is either going to be blocking Loney at 1st for the next 2 years or LaRoche at 3rd for the next 2 years. So the Dodgers have 2 prospects that would be wasting away on the bench or in the minors. By the time they'd actually get a chance to play who knows how good they'd be. I understand them not wanting to give away 3 prospects that could turn into superstars but this is for Manny not some average player here.

I think in the end IF the Sox trade Manny the Dodgers will end up trading them Broxton, Kemp/Loney and a lesser prospect.

But in the NL Manny can't DH and teams are worried about his knee and him turning into a full time DH in a year or so. That is why these NL teams won't overpay for him.

LAA probably would overpay for him, but Boston doesn't want Manny in the AL. So,...

RWhitney014 said:
I think it comes down to a generally gross miscalculation on the value of prospects. Most people are hesitant to deal their own because they think the world of an average minor-league player because of potential but think that other teams are dumb enough to give up their best.

I wish Kenny Williams agreed with your philosophy. As a Chisox fan I really like Anderson/Sweeney/Fields as prospects but i'm not going to get off the point that Williams dealt the best prospect in the organization and one of the best in baseball for a 5th starter in Vazquez. Thome for Rowand I can understand but dealing for a 5th starter when Brandon McCarthy was groomed to be in the rotation is just a horrible job by Williams. When a guy wins a championship he's automatically a great GM or manager and I think it has bought alot of guys extra time. Kenny Williams isn't going anywhere and if anything Ozzie is going first for the Sox but i'd take Guillen and his rants in a heartbeat over Williams and his horrible moves.

Boston is hurting Manny's value by not even entertaining offers to send him to AL Teams.

Who cares where he goes if you get good value in return!!! Seriously. NY sent Sheff to Detroit. You can't live in fear of a guy coming back to haunt you. Just take the best deal possible and send him wherever!

But by not even talking to teams in the AL, Boston is just plain stupid because they dont even make the NL teams ante up their offers! At least use the AL teams to better your position with the Giants, Dodgers, and Padres!

It's just bad business

A face-to-face session between the general managers of the Dodgers and Red Sox illustrated the two are not compatible trade partners for Ramirez as long as the Red Sox insist on four of the best Dodgers prospects from a group that includes pitchers Jonathan Broxton, Scott Elbert and Chad Billingsley, infielder James Loney and outfielder Matt Kemp

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/N...ent_id=1750489&vkey=news_la&fext=.jsp&c_id=la

Wow that's a steep price and ridiculous IMO. The Sox aren't serious.

The various and sundry NY papers are skeptical of the Mets chances of landing Barry Zito. Tom Hicks, aka Scott Boras' sugar daddy, appears set to enter a bidding war, which the Mets don't want. One report had a 6 year, $100M offer on the table for Zito, which the Mets almost certainly won't touch.

phunwin said:
The various and sundry NY papers are skeptical of the Mets chances of landing Barry Zito. Tom Hicks, aka Scott Boras' sugar daddy, appears set to enter a bidding war, which the Mets don't want. One report had a 6 year, $100M offer on the table for Zito, which the Mets almost certainly won't touch.

I'll post it when I get back, the Bergen Record says some of the same stuff, but also says people close to Zito say he wants nothing to do with Texas, and wants to play for the Mets whom he feels will market him better.

But we all know Boras??

phunwin said:

If Zito's last name was Rodriguez I bet omar would do whatever it takes to land him.

One person with knowledge of the talks said that Zito has little interest in playing for the Rangers and the Mets hold an allure for him with a chance to win a World Series and a city to market him. The Mets likely will not provide Zito with the years or dollars being discussed, not because they can't afford it, but because in dealing from a position of power they don't want to commit that to a pitcher, even the top one on the market

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMTImZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTYzMzI4NzkmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

MikeO said:
Boston is hurting Manny's value by not even entertaining offers to send him to AL Teams.

Who cares where he goes if you get good value in return!!! Seriously. NY sent Sheff to Detroit. You can't live in fear of a guy coming back to haunt you. Just take the best deal possible and send him wherever!

But by not even talking to teams in the AL, Boston is just plain stupid because they dont even make the NL teams ante up their offers! At least use the AL teams to better your position with the Giants, Dodgers, and Padres!

It's just bad business

What are you talking about? The Sox have been talking to the Mariners, Rangers and Angels about Manny.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
I'll post it when I get back, the Bergen Record says some of the same stuff, but also says people close to Zito say he wants nothing to do with Texas, and wants to play for the Mets whom he feels will market him better.

But we all know Boras??

Money talks. Boras has always steered his client where the contract is biggest. There is little reason to believe that this situation will suddenly be different.

Ray Finkle said:
What are you talking about? The Sox have been talking to the Mariners, Rangers and Angels about Manny.

yeah recently!!!!!! They started off not even talking to AL teams now they have started too

phunwin said:
Money talks. Boras has always steered his client where the contract is biggest. There is little reason to believe that this situation will suddenly be different.

I said it since day 1. Boras isn't going to let his client take less money. He never does.

Zito can be a west coast guy, who loves the west coast.......but Zito was NEVER taking less money to stay on the west coast!!! The union and Boras would NEVER let that happen!!!!

12:58 p.m., from Jayson Stark
• The Mets and Barry Zito's agent, Scott Boras, haven't talked money yet. But they clearly have a major philosophical difference about the potential length of Zito's contract, according to a source who spoke with both Boras and Mets GM Omar Minaya. Boras has told teams that Zito's deal needs to be at least six years. But the Mets don't want to go beyond four years. And it's nearly impossible to envision them extending past five years. This could be a gigantic obstacle, but an official of another team that has kicked Zito's tires said Tuesday: "I wouldn't believe any of that talk. I still think the Mets will do whatever it takes to get Zito, despite what everyone is saying now."

Back
Top Bottom