Offseason MLB rumors | Page 42 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offseason MLB rumors

MikeO said:
I don't know why any "good" team with a high payroll that plans on competiting for a Championship would want Gagne anyway?

The guy is a huge question mark and one of the key spots you can't have a question mark is the CLOSERS role.

They will have a $120-135 mill payroll when all is said and done not to mention another $51 mill out the door to Japan......and you will roll the dice on all of that with an injury prone CLOSER??

I would just let Hansen close and spend this money in another area, like MIDDLE RELIEF!!!!!!!!! But if they don't want Hansen to close at least get someone who isn't always injured and not a question mark.

Who then? What other closers are out there via free agency? Any good team isn't going to trade their closer and all the bad teams don't have good closers. The market is extremely thin.

I think Gagne is worth the risk. If he's healthy then he's a top closer in baseball. If he's hurt than the Sox (if they got him) are back where they are anyway. There's no one out there.

And Hansen is clearly not ready to close baseball games in the MLB. The Sox did an extremely poor job managing his progess and rushed him into the major leagues too quickly out of deperation. He might be good one day but that day isn't soon.

Ray Finkle said:
Who then? What other closers are out there via free agency? Any good team isn't going to trade their closer and all the bad teams don't have good closers. The market is extremely thin.

I think Gagne is worth the risk. If he's healthy then he's a top closer in baseball. If he's hurt than the Sox (if they got him) are back where they are anyway. There's no one out there.

And Hansen is clearly not ready to close baseball games in the MLB. The Sox did an extremely poor job managing his progess and rushed him into the major leagues too quickly out of deperation. He might be good one day but that day isn't soon.
Even though I think Lidge would suck in the AL. I would rather roll the dice with him and that he gets his head straight and returns to his form of a couple years ago. Than roll the dice with a guy with a serious arm injury who hasn't really played since 2004

Lidge could be had via trade. Or if ya don't want Lidge, get Wheeler from Houston and let him close. The Astros have both on the block.

Gagne is a risk, true, but as a Dodger fan, I can tell you that he is the heart and soul of any team he goes too. He loves to compete and I think he is going to have a decent year this year. I think a multi-year deal is out of the question, but if I am Boston, I am signing him with the hopes that he can go, if not, they are only on the hook for one year.

MikeO said:
Even though I think Lidge would suck in the AL. I would rather roll the dice with him and that he gets his head straight and returns to his form of a couple years ago. Than roll the dice with a guy with a serious arm injury who hasn't really played since 2004

Lidge could be had via trade. Or if ya don't want Lidge, get Wheeler from Houston and let him close. The Astros have both on the block.

The problem with Wheeler is he's never been a real closer. Putting him under the spotlight of Boston might break him. Ditto for Lidge. I really liked Lidge until Pujols took him deep. Now he seems like a Foulke/Urbina type, he's an advantage when he gets the save, never 1-2-3 outs. Plus again you don't know what Houston wants for either Wheeler or Lidge, the price tag might be too high for guys that are also ? marks.

Samphin said:
Gagne is a risk, true, but as a Dodger fan, I can tell you that he is the heart and soul of any team he goes too. He loves to compete and I think he is going to have a decent year this year. I think a multi-year deal is out of the question, but if I am Boston, I am signing him with the hopes that he can go, if not, they are only on the hook for one year.

This is not taking sides on the argument so no one get their boxers in a bunch but I thought the same thing I put in bold last year and he was injured so no one can be confident he can stay healthy. Also with the way Gagne throws, it's hard to believe that with the shoulders injuries he's had that he is going to be what he was. He might be good but I don't expect him to dominate. He's another ? in this years free-agent market (like just about everyone not named Zito and Soriano). You won't know what your going to get out of him until he does it. My bet still says he goes to the Dodgers because he's a loyal guy who's going to feel he owes them something since hey paid him big bucks the last 2 years and he gave them nothing!

Ray Finkle said:
The problem with Wheeler is he's never been a real closer. Putting him under the spotlight of Boston might break him. Ditto for Lidge. I really liked Lidge until Pujols took him deep. Now he seems like a Foulke/Urbina type, he's an advantage when he gets the save, never 1-2-3 outs. Plus again you don't know what Houston wants for either Wheeler or Lidge, the price tag might be too high for guys that are also ? marks.

I will take a guy who might be unproven or has something going on in his head over a guy coming off some serious arm injuries.

That's just me though.

Even if Wheeler or Lidge can't get it done, then move em to middle relief or set up man, take the pressure off.......and go find another closer by the trading deadline.

MikeO said:
I will take a guy who might be unproven or has something going on in his head over a guy coming off some serious arm injuries.

That's just me though.

Even if Wheeler or Lidge can't get it done, then move em to middle relief or set up man, take the pressure off.......and go find another closer by the trading deadline.

This plan never works for us.. The only year we win the WS we have a stud closer in Foulke, not Wheeler who may not be able to cut it as a reliever.. That being said I wouldn't mind either Wheeler or Lidge out of the pen, just not in the closing spot..

RWhitney014 said:
He'd be in the exact same situation he is this offseason, which is a bit of a risk health-wise but not a big one financially. Which means he'd get a job.

While I see your point, I'm not sure I agree with your perception of his 2008 value if he's hurt again. If he's hurt again in 2007, suddenly he's a guy who's missed the vast majority of the last three seasons (he's thrown all of 15.3 innings in the last 2 years), and is probably coming in with a minimum contract as a spring training invitee. Closers with arm problems tend to value that ages like wine...as in turning to vinegar.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
This is not taking sides on the argument so no one get their boxers in a bunch but I thought the same thing I put in bold last year and he was injured so no one can be confident he can stay healthy. Also with the way Gagne throws, it's hard to believe that with the shoulders injuries he's had that he is going to be what he was. He might be good but I don't expect him to dominate. He's another ? in this years free-agent market (like just about everyone not named Zito and Soriano). You won't know what your going to get out of him until he does it. My bet still says he goes to the Dodgers because he's a loyal guy who's going to feel he owes them something since hey paid him big bucks the last 2 years and he gave them nothing!

The Dodgers haven't even offered him a contract, have they? So far, it doesn't look like they're doing much to try and capitalize on that loyalty.

It's like the Tom Glavine situation; he wanted to give the Braves every chance to cash in on his long tenure with that team, and they didn't make him an offer. So he went back to the Mets. As Bob Ryan said, "hey Tom, you signed with the Mets, the team that offered you a contract, instead of the Braves, the team that didn't offer you a contract. I guess that's why we say you're such a smart pitcher!"

All I know is if I am a team that plans on competiting for a world series, I would explore EVERY POSSIBLE option before I turn to Gagne.

the "closer" is a job that you can't F' around with. One of the most if not the most important positions on a team in this day in age. To bank on a guy who has missed damn near 2 full seasons with serious arm problems........that is really rolling the dice.

If Pittsburgh is rolling the dice on him that is one thing. If a team like Boston, Detroit, or the Mets (just an example) does that is another! Those teams have big plans and need stability from April-October from their closer!

MikeO said:
All I know is if I am a team that plans on competiting for a world series, I would explore EVERY POSSIBLE option before I turn to Gagne.

the "closer" is a job that you can't F' around with. One of the most if not the most important positions on a team in this day in age. To bank on a guy who has missed damn near 2 full seasons with serious arm problems........that is really rolling the dice.

If Pittsburgh is rolling the dice on him that is one thing. If a team like Boston, Detroit, or the Mets (just an example) does that is another! Those teams have big plans and need stability from April-October from their closer!

I agree with you. However like I said the market is extremely thin for closers and there's no good closers available via free agency or trades except possibly Lidge (but who even knows if he's still on the table now). I'll take my shot with Gagne and hope he can get healthy again. If not than the Sox are in the same situation they are right now so hopefully either Hansen straightens himself out this year or Timlin finds himself again (both of those options scare the hell out of me).

MikeO said:

I guess that's why St. Louis had Adam Wainwright closing games out in October en route to a ring.

But I agree, if the cost of Lidge isn't prohibitive, I'd rather have five Lidges before a Gagne given their situations right now. Lidge still had a 12.48 K/9 last year, and should he get traded, whatever new team he's on has a closer with a massive chip on his shoulder, which is never a bad thing. And say what you want about him, but Lidge is durable if anything.

RWhitney014 said:
I guess that's why St. Louis had Adam Wainwright closing games out in October en route to a ring.

But I agree, if the cost of Lidge isn't prohibitive, I'd rather have five Lidges before a Gagne given their situations right now. Lidge still had a 12.48 K/9 last year, and should he get traded, whatever new team he's on has a closer with a massive chip on his shoulder, which is never a bad thing. And say what you want about him, but Lidge is durable if anything.

But they banked on Isringhausen and got stuck with Wanright. Izzy just fell apart. THey went into the year thinking their closer was solid.

I wouldn't go into the year with a shakey closer. That is my point.

Ray Finkle said:
I agree with you. However like I said the market is extremely thin for closers and there's no good closers available via free agency or trades except possibly Lidge (but who even knows if he's still on the table now). I'll take my shot with Gagne and hope he can get healthy again. If not than the Sox are in the same situation they are right now so hopefully either Hansen straightens himself out this year or Timlin finds himself again (both of those options scare the hell out of me).

Timlin is done. Your better chance is with Hansen!

MikeO said:
But they banked on Isringhausen and got stuck with Wanright. Izzy just fell apart. THey went into the year thinking their closer was solid.

I wouldn't go into the year with a shakey closer. That is my point.

So trading someone for Dan Wheeler is a better answer for the Sox than just signing Gagne to a 1 year deal.. So let me get this straight you don't want us to start the year with a shakey closer, but trading for Dan Wheeler is the answer.. I wouldn't mind have Wheeler, but he will cost a kings ransom in this market, and I am not sure he can close in Boston.. I think Gagne can if he can stay healthy..

Back
Top Bottom