Offseason MLB rumors | Page 41 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offseason MLB rumors

RWhitney014 said:
I think that's what you meant to say.

LAD declined to offer Gagne arbitraition which was expected. Doesn't mean he won't remain with them.

Yes FL might be in the running but both LAD and Boston have deep pockets and could probably offer Gagne more years and money. We'll see. I'd love to see Gagne in Boston, plus I think the FO can really sell Boston to him.

Ray Finkle said:
LAD declined to offer Gagne arbitraition which was expected. Doesn't mean he won't remain with them.

Yes FL might be in the running but both LAD and Boston have deep pockets and could probably offer Gagne more years and money. We'll see. I'd love to see Gagne in Boston, plus I think the FO can really sell Boston to him.

He has had so many injuries the past 2 years he is a hell of a risk at this point.

MikeO said:
He has had so many injuries the past 2 years he is a hell of a risk at this point.

I'm willing to take the risk. After all who's going to close for the Sox? Timlin? Who's out there as free agents or closers that could possibly be traded? The market is so thin.

I'd give him a 2 year deal (3 mill a year) with an option for the 3rd year and bonuses that could earn an extra 3 million a year. So he could potentially make 6 million a year. That's a pretty good offer for him in my opinion.

Gagne has said he only wants a one-year deal to prove himself. Any more than that is not a good move for him, because if he gets hurt, he's locked in, whereas on a one-year deal, he can always come back the next year and say, hey, I'm ready to give it another go.

And Florida has a pretty amazing streak of getting career resurrection years out of closers. Benitez, Jones, and Borowski all had their best here. Don't know if Gagne can top 2003, but he could regain his form without any pressure here.

RWhitney014 said:
Gagne has said he only wants a one-year deal to prove himself. Any more than that is not a good move for him, because if he gets hurt, he's locked in, whereas on a one-year deal, he can always come back the next year and say, hey, I'm ready to give it another go.

:confused:
Not sure I understand how a long-term deal is bad for Gagne if he gets hurt again.

If he signs a one year deal, stays healthy and is anywhere close to his former self, his next deal is huge. If he signs a one year deal and gets hurt, his next deal is another one-year deal for peanuts.

Conversely, if he signs a multi-year deal and gets hurt the first year, the team's the one taking the loss since he has another guaranteed year or two. If he stays healthy in year one and pitches well, everything else in the deal is a bargain (which means that Gagne loses).

phunwin said:
Not sure I understand how a long-term deal is bad for Gagne if he gets hurt again.

If he signs a one year deal, stays healthy and is anywhere close to his former self, his next deal is huge. If he signs a one year deal and gets hurt, his next deal is another one-year deal for peanuts.

Conversely, if he signs a multi-year deal and gets hurt the first year, the team's the one taking the loss since he has another guaranteed year or two. If he stays healthy in year one and pitches well, everything else in the deal is a bargain (which means that Gagne loses).

I agree. It doesn't make sense for him to sign a 1 year deal due to him not being healthy the last 2 years. If it was only last year he got hurt, I guess I could understand that.

Even so I think he'd get more money for 1 year with the Sox and LAD than FL.

phunwin said:

That's what I thought as well... although, you filled in the blanks better than I would have

phunwin said:

Let's say he signs a 2-year, $5 million deal. He gets hurt the first year and is locked in with $2.5 million for 2008.

Let's say he signs a 1-year, $2.5 million deal and kicks ***. He easily gets upwards up $6 million in 2008, probably more like $10.

He wants a year to prove himself, not to lock himself into a contract. He's still young enough to get a long-term deal, but should he sign a multi-year deal now, he loses at least a year from his "youth". It's just a smarter move for him to take the year.

RWhitney014 said:
Let's say he signs a 2-year, $5 million deal. He gets hurt the first year and is locked in with $2.5 million for 2008.

yea, but if he gets hurt with a 1 year deal hes stuck with nothing.

Nappy Roots said:
yea, but if he gets hurt with a 1 year deal hes stuck with nothing.

He'd be in the exact same situation he is this offseason, which is a bit of a risk health-wise but not a big one financially. Which means he'd get a job.

RWhitney014 said:
He'd be in the exact same situation he is this offseason, which is a bit of a risk health-wise but not a big one financially. Which means he'd get a job.

I don't know. I think if a team offers him a 2 year deal with an option for the 3rd and with the right bonuses could make around 6 million year anyway he'd take it. He'd be dumb enough not too.

I don't know why any "good" team with a high payroll that plans on competiting for a Championship would want Gagne anyway?

The guy is a huge question mark and one of the key spots you can't have a question mark is the CLOSERS role.

They will have a $120-135 mill payroll when all is said and done not to mention another $51 mill out the door to Japan......and you will roll the dice on all of that with an injury prone CLOSER??

I would just let Hansen close and spend this money in another area, like MIDDLE RELIEF!!!!!!!!! But if they don't want Hansen to close at least get someone who isn't always injured and not a question mark.

Back
Top Bottom