Ogden Returning to Return... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ogden Returning to Return...

Re: The Haters Are in the House!

Originally posted by Expo88
I knew all of you Ogden haters would be sprinting out of the woodwork as soon as this news broke.:lol: Like I said before, at least the guy can hold on to the ball

He can hold onto the ball? I remember his fumble against the Titans almost cost us the game, and he fumbled against the Jets(I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was the Jets)

We could probably get an undrafted FA PR/WR thats better than him after the draft.

phins054...............

Originally posted by phins054
I don't remember if Ward ever returned punts. Does he have any experience with that???

Dedric was the jests punt returner for some time. I don't have any stats, but he did a fairly decent job. He didn't put a tub of butter on his hands before returning a punt:lol: (ala Jeff:fire:

You guys are totally lost on this one.

Unless Ogden's base salary is guaranteed (which I seriously doubt), then cutting him will cost us nothing.

At this point, it's better to go into the draft with an "insurance policy". If we don't find someone to replace him, then we've got a servicable guy in Ogden.

And if we do find our man, then we cut Jeff and take ZERO cap hit.

Also, you guys need to chill out with the hate. Yeah, Jeff might have made a few bonehead plays. But some of you act like he's SCOTT MILLER. Remember Mr. Juke?? Ogden has made more good plays than bad. He's saved us field position more than he's cost us.

Ogden doesn't dance around. He runs north and south. He's always trying to get positive yardage. No, he isn't explosive. But he always gains yardage.

Originally posted by Muck
You guys are totally lost on this one.

Unless Ogden's base salary is guaranteed (which I seriously doubt), then cutting him will cost us nothing.

At this point, it's better to go into the draft with an "insurance policy". If we don't find someone to replace him, then we've got a servicable guy in Ogden.

And if we do find our man, then we cut Jeff and take ZERO cap hit.

Also, you guys need to chill out with the hate. Yeah, Jeff might have made a few bonehead plays. But some of you act like he's SCOTT MILLER. Remember Mr. Juke?? Ogden has made more good plays than bad. He's saved us field position more than he's cost us.

Ogden doesn't dance around. He runs north and south. He's always trying to get positive yardage. No, he isn't explosive. But he always gains yardage.

I couldn't have said it better myself Muck. Everyone acts like Ogden was horrible, but if you read the ESPN article you'll see that he was actually eighth in the league in average punt return yards. I'm not sure...perhaps I'm just insane, but eighth out of thirty-one teams in the league doesn't seem horrible to me.

Personally, I believe that most Dolphin fans are just spoiled. The same people who hate Ogden are usually the same ones that hate Jay and are probably the same people who would/did boo Jay at the basketball games.

Some of you all need to be exiled to Bungles fandom for a couple of years so you know what it's like to have a team worth hating. :yell:

I don't agree Muck. The guy fumbled 3 times and fair caught way too often.

Only one guy in this thread really seemed to touch on something I would really love to see. Minor being the punt/kickoff returner. He's quick and elusive and it would give him a chance to contribute since he won't see as much playing time with Williams in the backfield.

There is absolutely no harm in signing anybody to the kind of contract Ogden signed. If we get a replacement, good, he is gone. If not we go thru another year of unimaginative returns. Always checking the waiver wire for that "elusive" return man.

To be fair, Ogden is the only man to return a punt for a score for the Phins in how many years????

I am with Van on this one. He fumbled way too much, and I saw him fair catch with an easy 15 yards between him and any defender way to many times.

Yes he took one to the house once, but giving the ball back to the opposing team 3 times is just unforgivabe.

And I love Jay Fiedler...lol

I am sure Minor will see some time back at the return spot in T.C., and maybe that will transfer over to the regular season.

If Ward is healthy, I would like to see him on punt returns, with Minor on kickoffs.

BTW, Ogden being 8th in returning I think has to do more with our coverage and blocking for him, then his actual talent.

I go through a ritual every time Ogden returns a punt. It filled with many expletives about not fumbling the ball. Miami can find someone that is a better punt returner.

I'm not worried about his re-signing yet. He has no signing bonus on his contract which means the Fins are still looking for a better option whether its through free agency or someone who is already on the roster such as Albert Johnson or Dedric Ward. His chances of staying with the team are very slim. Once somebody beats him out for the position during camp he will be cut and we won't lose any money out of the situation. :D

Its early my fellow fin brethren, just wait and see if someone beats him out for the position before getting high blood pressure over it. :lol:

Originally posted by Smacks
I go through a ritual every time Ogden returns a punt. It filled with many expletives about not fumbling the ball.

:lol: :lol: :lol: LMAO......You too! I thought I was the only one the had that ritual for punt returns. :lol:

Hakim used to be better than Ogden in the return yards but Hakim fumbled way too much, just like Ogden.

This whole Ogden thing is just insurance. Once we sign or draft a KR/PR we will cut his a**!!

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
I don't agree Muck. The guy fumbled 3 times and fair caught way too often.

He fair caught 11 times. Jermaine Lewis fair caught 9 times. Brian Mitchell 22 times. Troy Brown (league leader) 15 times. Hakim 12 times. Desmond Howard 19 times.

He was just above middle-of-the-pack.

....and that fair catch with 15 yards space happened once.

Muck...

He was just above middle-of-the-pack
...does the source of those figures also list the number of attempts? A fair catch/punt attempt ratio would be more meaningful than the raw number of FCs, I think.

Seeing how his fumble/attempt ratio fell out against the rest of the league would be interesting, too...

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom