Ogden Returning to Return... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ogden Returning to Return...

it's funny we are rediced to arguing about Jeff Ogden. Man why can't they just start the season now, so we can argue about everything else. :D

Originally posted by dolfan87
it's funny we are rediced to arguing about Jeff Ogden. Man why can't they just start the season now, so we can argue about everything else. :D

When the draft comes, we'll have something to talk about.

My pre-draft prediction is that the Jets, Bills, and Patriots will all draft busts.

The Jets will probably take Lito Sheppard who could be a draft bust, who knows who the Bills will take, and I think the Pats will go with a good player.

Originally posted by dolfan87
Are you saying you want to go back to arguing with Jets fans or whether or not Ray Lucas or Jay s/b starting QB :eek: :confused: :nono:

Of course

Originally posted by JeffJewell
...does the source of those figures also list the number of attempts? A fair catch/punt attempt ratio would be more meaningful than the raw number of FCs, I think.

Seeing how his fumble/attempt ratio fell out against the rest of the league would be interesting, too...

Jeff

Initially, I gave all those stats. But I wasn't sure if anyone really wanted all that info.

Note: players with less than 10 returns aren't counted on this list (but I can give you a link to one that does). To get TOTAL ATTEMPTS, just add the number of FAIR CATCHES to the number of RETURNS.

Ogden had 11 FC's in 44 attempts.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/lpretNFL.htm

Actually, if you take a look at those numbers it really does a lot to exhonerate Ogden. He had one of the higher number of PR's in the league and only fair caught about a third of the time. (He actually had 11FC's in 32 attempts.) Not only that, but if you look at some of the supposed "elite" returners out there they rank nowhere near Ogden. Tim Dwight fair caught half the time, with fewer PR's, and had a lower return average. Az Hakim fair caught a third of the time, with slightly more PR's, and had over a yard and a half lower average then Ogden. Even Steve Smith of Carolina, the guy who went to the Pro Bowl, had a lower average than Ogden, with only two more PR's and only one less FC. On top of all of that, only Dwight and Smith scored touchdowns; one each.

Before you all start bashing Ogden again, it might be wise to take a look at the stats and think about what an incredible bargain the guy is compared to some of the above mentioned individuals who aren't even producing as well. Both Dwight and Hakim wound up getting huge contracts this year and both of them started as many games as Ogden last year: zero.

Yes but 'average' isn't good enough for a team that puts one of the highest emphasis' on special teams in the league. There was too many boneheaded plays by him to allow him to do anything more then compete for the job which I am sure Minor could easily beat him for.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
Yes but 'average' isn't good enough for a team that puts one of the highest emphasis' on special teams in the league. There was too many boneheaded plays by him to allow him to do anything more then compete for the job which I am sure Minor could easily beat him for.
not to mention Ward or one of the other young WR like Baker or Johnson. Too bad Chan left for college or Ogden would have ended up w/him. I still expect to see Ogden coaching at GT in 2002. :D

Am I the only one who remembers what Ogden did in the Green Bay game back in 2000?

So, is one TD supposed to make his whole career?
Yes, he did take it to the house, but, it is clear that that was much closer to the exeption, than the rule with Ogden.
We need to upgrade this position this year.
One of the things I got livid about with Wanny last year was that he would drop little hints about not being pleased with Ogden, but, would turn around and put him right back there to be mediocre once again.
I see this as more of an insurance policy for us, in case we can not find someone to replace him.
I fully do not expext him to make the team this year.

Back
Top Bottom