Ogun for Samuels?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ogun for Samuels??

gearhead

Practice Squad
Reaction score
How about a straight up trade with the Skins ... Ogun for LT Chris Samuels? Both are young, Pro Bowl caliber ... we need OL they need a DE....Ogun threatening not to sign tender .... Samuels refusing to restructure.

Main obstacles are Skins would take a HUGE cap hit of $9M and both teams would probably want contracts in place prior to doing the deal.

gearhead said:
How about a straight up trade with the Skins ... Ogun for LT Chris Samuels? Both are young, Pro Bowl caliber ... we need OL they need a DE....Ogun threatening not to sign tender .... Samuels refusing to restructure.

Main obstacles are Skins would take a HUGE cap hit of $9M and both teams would probably want contracts in place prior to doing the deal.

Have you seen Samuels since the NFL rule changes pertaining to OL? He is way overrated. Watch some tape of Ramsey getting smacked around last year.

A) we are not in the market for a LT.
B) Samuels would be a large cap hit for both teams...(At least I recall this being said in another post somewhere).
C) Teams don't get rid of pro bowl LTs unless there is a problem, even the Skins. They have issues that Ogun would clear up, but not at the expense of their LT.

C) Teams don't get rid of pro bowl LTs unless there is a problem, even the Skins. They have issues that Ogun would clear up, but not at the expense of their LT.

In Samuels defense, Snyder goes on such a binge with free agents (restricted and unrestricted) that when it comes time for a player, like Samuels, to renew his contract and he demands the big bucks, the team basically almost HAS to dump him and try and get whatever they can in trade for him.

I don't like it. Samuels wants big money quickly and he's a tad bit overrated. Overrated player for big money? I would rather that be our own dude Ogunleye rather than someone else's dude.

Setting aside the bigger issue of Samuels's value, we need an RT, not an LT. Yes, we could move Samuels to RT, but historically, LTs are far better paid, which means we'd be spending a LOT of money on an RT, far more than necessary. Smith is a poor choice to move to RT, he's a much better pass blocker than run blocker.

At this point in both players careers, O-Gun is worth much more than Samuels. As I said about a week ago on this subject, I found on a Skins forum they wanted O-Gun and picks for Samuels, which I shotdown immediatly. I wanted picks for O-Gun plus Samuels. The Redskins have no picks in this years draft to make a serious effort.

If the Dolphins are going to part with O-Gun, I hope that them getting draft pick(s) is part of the deal.

LarryFinFan said:
A) we are not in the market for a LT.
B) Samuels would be a large cap hit for both teams...(At least I recall this being said in another post somewhere).

I agree there are issues but ...

A) Samuels is an upgrade ....
B) So will Ogun .... if we sign him ....
C) Sure they do ... usually for contract issues ... i.e. Turley, Roaf in 2003 .. plus they could position to get Gallery as a replacement.

If OGUN is worth more than Samuels how about OGUN, #20 for Samuels and #5. Maybe we throw in a 3rd to sweetin the deal. Either way we have a proven tackle (overated or not) and a legit shot at Sean Taylor or hey maybe even trade down for a couple of picks. Do you think this would be possible?

PhillyDolfan said:
If OGUN is worth more than Samuels how about OGUN, #20 for Samuels and #5. Maybe we throw in a 3rd to sweetin the deal. Either way we have a proven tackle (overated or not) and a legit shot at Sean Taylor or hey maybe even trade down for a couple of picks. Do you think this would be possible?

doubt it. If washington deals samuels, they would need to make some kind of move to get Gallery. Their line is already weak and they'd prolly have to make that deal over Gibbs' dead body

Even the Skins arent dumb enough to give us Samuels and the 5th for Ogun, the 20th, and the 87th. We would have to give them way more than that. Do you know how much a team would have to give up to move up in the draft from 20 to 5. It would cost you at least this and next years 1st. Ogun is not that much better than Samuels because of the questions about whether or not he is a product of having JT on the other side. So to get Samuels and the 5th it would take IMO Ogun, the 20th, and our first next year. Remember what the Ravens gave up last year, they dont have a first this year and how many spots did they move up? This isnt like we are trading Ogun and the 20th to the Skins for Joe Schmoe and the 5th, Samuels is a potential Pro Bowl LT.

gearhead said:
I agree there are issues but ...

A) Samuels is an upgrade ....
B) So will Ogun .... if we sign him ....
C) Sure they do ... usually for contract issues ... i.e. Turley, Roaf in 2003 .. plus they could position to get Gallery as a replacement.

Samuels is an upgrade to what Smith did last year, but Smith will get better...but you'd have to say that Samuels is better than Smith.
This still leaves us short a RG or RT on the OL. If we trade for a quality OL like Samuels, were not going to draft an OL too...moving Smith to RT would really screw him up at this point. I think RS envisions McI as our starting RT if he returns from injury ok. We could use Smith as a backup or swing tackle, but that seems to be a waste of potential to me.
The issue with cap and Ogun is that he chews up cap space on the D side of the team....Tying up cap space is inevitable, but I'd rather use it for the O side. We have alternatives, albeit not the same quality as Ogun, at RDE...
True, contract issues would be a reason for them to look at options and he is a 4th year guy, coming off a PB, so you have a good point there.
All of this is IMO, and you make some good counterpoints...

why the hell are there so many who would love to get rid of Ogun? i dont get it. Ogun either gets us a 1st and a third or something close to it or no deal! Ogun will be a dolphin.

Well, I have been a proponent of not trading Ogun, but since the rumors or plugs, I should say, keep coming from Punk Drew, my guess is that there are some problems with negotiating with the Fins and Ogun. If he does not want to sign the tender and we can't work out a LT deal, then trading him would best suit the needs of the Fins, even if it means not getting the 1st and 3rd picks of the tender offer. And trading him could do some things for us that keeping him cannot, namely additional picks/players that can fill holes we have. Even if he just plays out this year for the tender, which most likely would be the case, and becomes a UFA next year, we would get his services, at a reasonable price for just this year. Is it not worth add'l picks/players for his services for one year ?? That is what most of us are talking about....

Back
Top Bottom