OGUN to get traded? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OGUN to get traded?

The team with which the Dolphins make this hypothetical trade could always just select the guy the Dolphins want. That would make the actual trade more difficult to complete, but it would be a way to get around the contract issue with Wale.

Of course, there is risk involved in this sort of strategy for the team doing the trading. The guy chosen would have to be a fit for them even if the trade fell through for some reason.

It isn't going to happen this year because of the over bloated contract given out this year. Ogun will be kept and probably will be franchised next year and they will try to trade him for a first when Wanny gets fired and we go into rebuild mode.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
It isn't going to happen this year because of the over bloated contract given out this year. Ogun will be kept and probably will be franchised next year and they will try to trade him for a first when Wanny gets fired and we go into rebuild mode.

Actually, the over bloated contracts will hurt us more next year if we keep and franchise him. They'll have to give up 2 firsts, and we're stuck being forced to pay him a salary comptrable to those over bloated ones that you speak of. We can't afford that, and no one else will pay it either. It's deal him now, or let him walk.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Why would we have to go into rebuild mode if Wanny gets fired?

I honestly think that Rick is going to wait until the first day of the draft before making a decision. He'll see who is on the board when Miami picks or if somebody of great interest to the Dolphins is falling, in which case he might use Ogunleye to trade up. If someone is still on the board in the 2nd round beyond the point the Dolphins expected him to be taken then it would also make sense to pull the trigger on a trade.

Honestly I would be surprised if we could get a #1 for Ogunleye, although I would contact the Chiefs at #30 since their defense is terrible. I think the probable best trade partner would be Jacksonville, who can give us the #39 pick in the 2nd round and one of their two third rounders (allowing them to fill a need at DE and take a wr instead of a pass-rushing DE at #9) or Denver, which can give us one of its two second rounders and a third rounder. I know that the Broncos need D-line help but don't remember if it is DE or DT. A second round and third round pick would be great and I would take them in an instant.

I think there is no chance O-Gun is leaving. The FO has probably had no real thoughts of letting him go but is just stalling to spend the money needed on FA then the draft pics and I would imaging once all the moves are made we will offer O-Gun an extension based on the anount of ca$h we have left over.

We want to keep him. My logic is you don't trade an up and coming star for risky draft picks. Especially w/ our draft reputation...

Originally posted by Dude
I think there is no chance O-Gun is leaving. The FO has probably had no real thoughts of letting him go but is just stalling to spend the money needed on FA then the draft pics and I would imaging once all the moves are made we will offer O-Gun an extension based on the anount of ca$h we have left over.

We want to keep him. My logic is you don't trade an up and coming star for risky draft picks. Especially w/ our draft reputation...

the fact that we havent tried to extend his contract yet has made him mad, and he wont even sign the tender...i dont think he would sign with us anyways if we had a decent amount of cash left over

besides, i'd rather keep chambers and mcmicheal rather than ogun, esp since we have an adequate guy in bowens anyways

The argument that Ogun is not worth a #1 is flat out wrong .... he's young AND he's NFL proven ... something NONE of the current projected first rounders can say.... ANY of them including Eli, Ben, Larry, etc. etc ... yet all of the teams will roll the dice.

The barrier to any trade is the contract demands that will follow AFTER giving up a #1!!

A $16M signing bonus ... crazy. I'm not saying there's no precedent ... i.e. Kearse, Wistrom...but still crazy. Then $10M+ per year for a DE is crazy also....again Kearse & Wistrom got it....but still crazy.

Heck ... JT makes ONLY $7M per year through 2006!!

With all this said .... I would take a swap of #1s and a second for him in a heartbeat. Better yet ... keep our #1 and get two #2s!!

This guy is gone after this year regardless .... get what you can NOW!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by fin-atic
I think the perception is that OGun is good and is only very good because JT is lining up opposite of him. Normally when a top flight DE hits the FA market teams are all over him. Not the case this time.

Analysis seems about right. I think Ogunleye/Rosenhaus' heavy money demands may have turned some teams off. He may have a Randy Moss like attitude but he doesn't have Mossesque production or talent.

I dont think we will trade Ogun listening to the body language of spielmans language. i dont think RS is worrying at all about Ogun. he will be a fin after surtain restructures his deal.

The problem with trading Ogun on draft day is that he is not under any contract right now...He would have to sign the tender, and anticipate a renegotiation with the new team. Will he do this ?? I don't know. No team can sign him except the Fins. The exception to a trade is if he has a "deal" worked out or parameters with some other team, before the draft takes place, then we could sign him to the tender, make a trade and and he would sign the "new" contract with his new team...But the other team would have to have agreed in principle to a contract with Ogun AND agreed in principle to compensation with the Fins. Because of this, I doubt seriously there will be any trade involving Ogun on draft day. I am pretty sure that any "trade" that comes up will be after the draft and will involve player(s) and or a draft pick next year. Could the Fins work out a deal where a team drafts a player we want and a trade is worked out, yeah, I guess, but I doubt it....

AceofSpades said:
I honestly think that Rick is going to wait until the first day of the draft before making a decision. He'll see who is on the board when Miami picks or if somebody of great interest to the Dolphins is falling, in which case he might use Ogunleye to trade up. If someone is still on the board in the 2nd round beyond the point the Dolphins expected him to be taken then it would also make sense to pull the trigger on a trade.

Honestly I would be surprised if we could get a #1 for Ogunleye, although I would contact the Chiefs at #30 since their defense is terrible. I think the probable best trade partner would be Jacksonville, who can give us the #39 pick in the 2nd round and one of their two third rounders (allowing them to fill a need at DE and take a wr instead of a pass-rushing DE at #9) or Denver, which can give us one of its two second rounders and a third rounder. I know that the Broncos need D-line help but don't remember if it is DE or DT. A second round and third round pick would be great and I would take them in an instant.

Minnesota is really the only viable trade partner at this point. KC doesn't have the cap room, and has needs more pressing than DE. They've got Vonnie Holliday and Eric Hicks, who are at least acceptable, unlike most of their defense. I think Denver and J-Ville also have cap issues, but I'm not certain about that. In any event, I'm sure that J-Ville's priority is to build around Byron Leftwich at this point. He looked like he could become a franchise QB, so it would be best to get him some weapons, and some linemen to keep him upright.

LarryFinFan said:
The problem with trading Ogun on draft day is that he is not under any contract right now...He would have to sign the tender, and anticipate a renegotiation with the new team. Will he do this ?? I don't know. No team can sign him except the Fins. The exception to a trade is if he has a "deal" worked out or parameters with some other team, before the draft takes place, then we could sign him to the tender, make a trade and and he would sign the "new" contract with his new team...But the other team would have to have agreed in principle to a contract with Ogun AND agreed in principle to compensation with the Fins. Because of this, I doubt seriously there will be any trade involving Ogun on draft day. I am pretty sure that any "trade" that comes up will be after the draft and will involve player(s) and or a draft pick next year. Could the Fins work out a deal where a team drafts a player we want and a trade is worked out, yeah, I guess, but I doubt it....

The flip side to that is if Ogun works something out before/during the draft with a team, which is not impossible. If it's Minnesota, the Vikes pick 19th, so there would be time on draft day to hammer out an agreement in principle.

Clumpy said:
I advanced that very thought about a month ago:

O-Gun & 1,20 to Bears for 1,14 and 2,47 but chatised as not enough for him. I then added a swap of 4th rd picks......still not enough :shakeno:

:rolleyes2

I wonder why ?

:boohoo:

Marino1983

Back
Top Bottom